What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thai from Chiang Mai

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
A small test of a new Thai from Chiang Mai area, in north Thailand.

It was grown almost without attentions, trying to tame her like a bonsai or a small clone. It was started from seed in late spring, grew in a small 1 liter pot for the whole summer and only in late summer after sexing was transplanted to a 3 liter pot for the rest of the flowering ... she only received 2 feedings in the whole flowering, the whole cycle was almost done with just plain water .... i was not worried about the final yield, just wanted to try some good quality pure thai organic buds for personal use.

She is finishing quite well despite the bad start of autumn (colder and less sunny than usual).
We have had 2 or 3 days with really intense rains (over 50 liter/m2), very strong winds and even hail, but the flowers have no signs of mold and she has matured quite well, just a bite of a worm in one of the budsites.

Thai Chiang Mai grew and flowered like a classic pure thai, without any sign of indica influence or presence of modern/western genetics. Aromas are classic thai, lemony, spicy, woody. The resin production is quite good and not a single hermie sign despite the restrictions in the growing conditions and bad weather.

Surprisingly, she is finishing in late November (I'm used to harvest pure thais in December or even in early January).
I was tempted to harvest her a few days ago but the forecast is good for the upcoming days so i will let her mature and starve a bit more.

Attachments

• Thai Chiang Mai finishing.jpg
    Thai Chiang Mai finishing.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 294
  • Thai Chiang Mai bud finishing.jpg
    Thai Chiang Mai bud finishing.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 270
  • Thai Chiang Mai bud finishing3.jpg
    Thai Chiang Mai bud finishing3.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 245
  • Thai Chiang Mai bud finishing5.jpg
    Thai Chiang Mai bud finishing5.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 276
  • Thai Chiang Mai bud finishing4.jpg
    Thai Chiang Mai bud finishing4.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 298

Coughie

Beautiful!
Thanks for sharing!

Mold resistance, woohoo!
Earlier finisher, woohoo!

Hope the smoke meets your expectations!
(so you release them / i can get some, lol)

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
oh Chiang mai, Thats some nice smoke, followed by some food and their very special Nuoc mam Chan, damb the menmories

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thank you for the good vibes :)
I think we all here share the same passion for good pure landraces lines.

I will continue to share more info in the upcoming weeks about other new landraces we are exploring at the moment.

I think you can let it ripe longer than just a couple days.

Yep, i think i could let her be some time more, but i don't see any clear significative reflowering to delay the harvest time (just 3 or 4 new pistils).
She is overall in her best maturation peak (based on aromas, pistils and trichomes and overall health) so i have decided to harvest her today.

Will provide a smoke report when is dried and a bit cured.

sweet-emotion

Veteran
Great dubi! it would be nice to be able to get a pure line like this one in the future...always trying to get landraces and pure effects

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
The Chiang Mai from seed was chopped down ... there's a nice floral, lemony perfume aroma in the room.

This thai is a good representation of the classic green SE Asia tropical sativa phenotype that i have experienced many times when growing seeds from different pure landrace sativas from Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia.

Of course, there are variations in quality and flowering time within this well spread green SE Asian phenotype, but they all share traits (appearance, aromas, structures, effects, overall feeling) that makes this phenotype is easy to recognize.

Laotian sativas are a bit different, the ones i experienced had quite strong pigmentation, flowers were denser, and the effect and taste was different to the classic green SE Asian pheno.

Chiang Mai and Luang Prabang looks relatively close in the map, but all this area is very mountainous and the roads are not very good .... with frequent landslides (especially in the rainy season) so it's slow (and sometimes dangerous) to travel from one place to other.

From Vientiane to Luang Prabang the trip takes around 9 hours on a bus.
If you start from Chiang Mai then it could take 1 day and a half to reach LP by bus.

There are also domestic flights that will take you there in 1 hour, but they are usually expensive and you will lose the chance to experience the small laotian villages and its people on the way.

Holeshot

Thai tour

Thai tour

Must have been a great adventure . I am horticulturist . So these areas interest me , very much . My relative came back from northern Thailand recently . Tried a bit of local , source was good. Brown , dry , looked terrible . Pin joint blew them away. Very trippy. .

Last edited:

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
The Chiang Mai from seed was chopped down ... there's a nice floral, lemony perfume aroma in the room.

This thai is a good representation of the classic green SE Asia tropical sativa phenotype that i have experienced many times when growing seeds from different pure landrace sativas from Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia.

Of course, there are variations in quality and flowering time within this well spread green SE Asian phenotype, but they all share traits (appearance, aromas, structures, effects, overall feeling) that makes this phenotype is easy to recognize.

Laotian sativas are a bit different, the ones i experienced had quite strong pigmentation, flowers were denser, and the effect and taste was different to the classic green SE Asian pheno.

Chiang Mai and Luang Prabang looks relatively close in the map, but all this area is very mountainous and the roads are not very good .... with frequent landslides (especially in the rainy season) so it's slow (and sometimes dangerous) to travel from one place to other.

From Vientiane to Luang Prabang the trip takes around 9 hours on a bus.
If you start from Chiang Mai then it could take 1 day and a half to reach LP by bus.

There are also domestic flights that will take you there in 1 hour, but they are usually expensive and you will lose the chance to experience the small laotian villages and its people on the way.

That sounds like a excellent trip. I tell ya, those of us that can't make trips like that are so grateful for the work you do. It is such a great thing to be able to get a hold of the exotics herbs Ace sells.

Siever

Veteran
Is it possible to post some pictures? I'm sure I'm not the only one who is very curious

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Siever,

The only Thai Chiang Mai pictures i have right now are the ones posted in the first post of the thread. Will try to make more next time we flower her.

She is still in curing process but the effect is already strong and complex.
Will do a more detailed smoke report with a long proper curing,
we will probably bring her to analyze too.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thai Chiang Mai cannabinoid analysis

Thai Chiang Mai cannabinoid analysis

Thai Chiang Mai cannabinoid analysis.

Attachments

• Thai Chiang Mai análisis de cannabinoides jpg.jpg
    Thai Chiang Mai análisis de cannabinoides jpg.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 219

Latest posts