What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VPN's which do you use?

Leptosoma

sɔıʇǝuǝ⅁ ʞuoW
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use TOR and i'm pretty happy with it, the only "problem" with TOR is disability to use java/flash in browser so no yt and no chat, this is the cost.

If you buy VPN you usually have to pay online which means you have to give you detalis to provider of VPN service, there is no such problems with TOR.

www.torproject.org

peace

dddaver

Veteran
My only complaint with tor is it's so slow. Especially with my connection. So I use Anchor Free.

Garhart

I read "The Puzzle Place" by James Bamfield, so this is not a concern to me. ***

If you are serious about security, it should be a part of your foundation. While it is not new, what is explained is never going to be obsolete. In fact, the opposite is true, it is far more applicable today. It is SO important to understand the history.

I much enjoyed reading about the history of the Tor project. Been a fan of Zimmerman and PGP for a long time. Wish him nothing but the best with his BlackPhone, but I won't be buying one.

***(I am also fortunate to live where it is legal for me to do what I do)

Last edited:

browntrout

Veteran
I've got Tor, I know they are essentially the same thing but tor is painfully slow. I was reading a about a vpn with tor in it's name, seems better than most. Wouldn't it be better to have a vpn than having the vpn have personal info? But with tor you can still enter the deep easily lol.

BT

E

Eureka Springs Organics

Privateinternet access. It is fast, and they DO NOT log any traffic. Most VPN's log your traffic. If they get served a warrant then they will have to provide said log. Without a log, a warrant is useless. :)

Garhart

Not trying to be a prick here, but each method I have seen mentioned here, I have seen listed as being compromised by the MIC. I would cite as reference, the most recent(12 Mar 2014,) issue of the intercept by Glenn Greenwald.

Frightening stuff.

fukndenny

143vpn dot com

Port forwarding, no logs, fast, cheap, multiple servers. (if worried about your privacy when paying you can contact them and arrange bitcoin payment)

As already mentioned there are tons of vpns out there.

Main things you want are port forwarding, no logging, and reliability.

Piff Rhys Jones

🌴 Hugging Trees 🌴
Veteran
420giveaway
The issue I see with TOR is that your ISP or anyone else snooping can see you are using TOR.

Although they can't see what you're viewing, as far as I understand the fact you're simply using TOR could flag you up.

Peace

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
looks pretty good
http://www.bestvpnz.com/threatspike/
dont much care for this:
Cookie details

Name Title Purpose JSESSIONID Session cookie This cookie is used to track whether you are logged into our secure portal and if so, to help us identify which is your account so that you only receive relevant information. eucc EU Cookie consent This cookie is used to record whether we have received your consent to accept our cookies. It does not contain any personal information and lasts for two years. __utma
__utmb
__utmc
__utmv
__utmz Google Analytics These cookies are used to monitor and report on the performance of our site, such as number and sources of site visits. You can find more information about these cookies and how to opt out here. _twitter_sess
guest_id
k
external_referrer
original_referrer Twitter These cookies allow us to display the latest tweets from our Twitter feed and to allow you to subscribe and follow us on Twitter. The exact cookies set might vary based on whether you have a Twitter account and whether your are logged in to your Twitter account. You can find more information about Twitter's privacy policy here.

dddaver

Veteran
Could a computer guy please try to explain why is port forwarding is such a bad thing as regards a VPN?

The one and only comment on the VPN review website about netspike said: As an unofficial reviewer of VPN services, I’d stay far far away from this one. Remember, you get what you pay (or don’t) for.

That doesn't sound too good.I don't believe everything I read on the internet, but this DOES give one pause.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Do you want your ISP knowing you are using a VPN? Just something to consider if some of you are concerned about them knowing you're using TOR. Kinda the same wave length in some people's eyes.

VPNs for security purposes are a joke. They are making money off the average users ignorance of the internet and digital communications. Proxies are another joke. Most are completely unencrypted. Useless.

You can hide TOR from your ISP but the average user isn't likely to want to do it or learn how. Bridge relays are key and TOR would likely run better if more people used bridges. Even TOR isn't perfect, though. It can definitely reveal your location or ID if you're not careful.

As far as I'm aware virtual machines are still the best bet, combined with a couple other key utilities.

The bottom line is... no digital communications are safe. Plan accordingly.

Skip

Veteran
Tor's history (from Wikipedia)
Originally sponsored by the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory,[11] which had been instrumental in the early development of onion routing under the aegis of DARPA, Tor was financially supported by the Electronic Frontier Foundation from 2004 to 2005.[13] Tor software is now developed by the Tor Project, which has been a 501(c)(3) research-education nonprofit organization [14] based in the United States of America [1] since December 2006. It has a diverse base of financial support;[13] the U.S. State Department, the Broadcasting Board of Governors, and the National Science Foundation are major contributors.[15] As of 2012, 80% of the Tor Project's $2M annual budget comes from the United States government, with the Swedish government and other organizations providing the rest,[16] including NGOs and thousands of individual sponsors.[17] One of the founders of the project, Roger Dingledine, stated that the DoD funds are less similar to being a procurement contract and are more similar to a research grant. Andrew Lewman, the executive director of the Tor project, stated that even though it accepts funds from the U.S. federal government, the Tor service did not necessarily collaborate with the NSA to reveal identities of users.[18]

The US gov't has had a huge hand in the Tor system since day one. All it takes is ONE programmer to be covertly working for the NSA and bingo, you got a backdoor or weakened security as with ALL major software that is developed in the USA.

This is what happened with RSA.

If you're paranoid because of your activities, remember that hardly ANYONE gets busted for posting a pic of plants online. Nearly EVERYONE gets busted due to a LOCAL investigation as a result of some local event.

Unless it's a matter of Nat'l security or you're an idiot who posts their local addy online (or gives it out in PMs or emails), you're not likely to come under gov't scrutiny. There's just TOO MUCH going on online for cops to bother with, unless they get a report that they are required to respond to.

I'd say you've got far more to worry about when attempting to hookup to do an illegal deal than just posting images online. Remember there's nothing illegal about posting images of plants. So they need a LOT more to bother with you.