What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nanner problem in mid flower with clones

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
Howdy y'all...

To start, I am running 5 different strains under 4000 watts of light (3 of those 5 are clone only strains), in 5 gallon grow bags, medium is promix, temps are dialed in between 74 and 77 degrees, humidity in check, some of the healthiest looking plants I have ever ran. There are no light leaks, my grow room a room inside of a room that is hidden underground. It is dark as a dungeon in there. Strains on deck are gg4, 413 chem, headbanger, Stardawg Corey and Chem' 91... In day 29 flower.

I first noticed the nanners on the 413 chem and thought it was strain specific... Then after cutting two down I seen them on a few other plants, not too bad just a few here and there... 413 chem being the worst.

I know what caused the problem, it was a product made by primordial solutions called True blooms. It is a super concentrated product that contains highly concentrated levels of natural PGRs... Once I started applying this product is when I noticed the nanners. Then found several threads on different forums explaining how it had happened to other people using this product as well.

Now, a year or so back in my old grow op I had a light leak. Started noticing hermies in week two of flower. I got online and ordered a product called Optic Foliar Switch (replaced dutch masters reverse) and sprayed them as followed on the directions. Well, it stopped the nanners and balls from forming and there was zero seeds in the end product.

Now this time, I can get a product called Montery Florel which cobtains ethephon which turns to ethylene gas. Would this be the same thing as optic foliar switch? If so, this would save me at least a hundred dollars because it is concentrated and wayyyyy cheaper.

I am hoping this will cease and stop the issue.

Anyone have any experience with these types of products?

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Do have any lights on power strips or other equipment, in flower room, or any other type of light leak?

MountainBudz

Do have any lights on power strips or other equipment, in flower room, or any other type of light leak?

No, its impossible for a light leak, its underground and just walking down the hall to get to the room you have to have a light to see where you are going.

Only thing in the room that produces any kind of light are my dehumidifier and heater. I have duct tape over the display screens on those and then metal tape over the top of that. I have several layers as well, I have sit for 30 minutes once lights went out and gave my eyes time to adjust and it was extremely dark, pitch black in there.

The True Blooms caused the nanners...

However I do have some good news... This morning I was out spending time with them and the gg4's, coreys, headbangers had zero nanners on them. Of course they are under a scrog net and I could check all lower and mid portions of the buds and some tips I seen zero nanners. The rest of the 413 Chems that I didn't cut down only have a few here and there, not real bad and I believe most of them are hurried inside of the buds. The Chem' 91, I found only ONE nanner on that entire plant.

So I guess the issue isn't as bad as I initially thought it was, but you know how it gets your adrenaline rolling when you do find some... Its like fuck! My whole crop is ruined.... All this hard work for nothing... However it's not that bad. But things can always escalate...

KONY

Veteran
Sounds like that pheno of 413 chem is not a great cut. Are there any other neighboring rooms or light sources bordering this flower room? Even througb the ceiling or walls?

You have said you checked for light leaks right when the lights go out, but what about half way thru the dark cycle and right before the lights come back on?

MountainBudz

No there is only a flower room. It is a grow room completely underground. There are no conjoining rooms. No lights in the entrance/hallway going into the grow room either. Its even pitch black in the hall way.

It has to be the True Blooms. I have read very many reports of True Blooms causing hermies and nanners in flower... I'm not really asking for advice on what caused the nanners as I already know.

What I am really wanting to know is if any of y'all have used the Monterey brand Florel or Optic Foliar Switch with good results this far into flowering? Mainly the Florel, as I have had great experience in the past with Optic Foliar Switch... But its too costly and if it does contain. The same ingredients as Florel which I'm convinced that it surely has to, then it would be wayyyy wayyy cheaper to go with the Florel as it is a concentrated form.

Edit: The only other room I have is a veg room and it is in a whole entire different location, not even close to my bunker.

KONY

Veteran
I bought florel to try to reverse some males but never got around to it. I would suggest you figure out your problem and not just a band aid solution with PGRs, even if its just ethylene.

I'm curious how often you are watering those 5 gallon grow bags of promix and how big the plants are (compared to the size of the medium)??

Also, I noticed in your thread you have an exhaust fan, and the ducting around the room is not insulated. This seems a likely source of light contamination during the off cycle.

edit: What I am trying to say is its unlikely the true blooms is causing this problem.

Last edited:

MountainBudz

There is vent hoods outside of the room... Sunlight does not enter the exhaust. I have already been through that back in the day. It is completely impossible for light to get into this room.

I water every 3 days when the soil is almost dry, but you never wanna let promix dry out completely.

MountainBudz

So where the room exhausts air to the outside and also the intake, no sunlight gets in there at all.

I believe it is the true blooms because I have read lots of reports of guys running the same clones for years and then tried the true blooms and all of a sudden boom... hermies.

MountainBudz

I got my clones from a well known member here. He said none of them ever hermied for him, but he hasn't used true blooms or doesn't feed on the heavier side for commercial purposes as do I.

I see his photos all of the time and the buds don't have nanners. However he did say he only ran the 413 one time. As for the Chem 91, a nanner or two here and there, that's a Chem for ya... Very common. But since these Chem plants are prone to throw nanners more so then the others in the room, which they are the only two I have seen them on, I believe the true blooms provoked it. Shit is strong... 1ml per gallon and can't add anything else with that. It has to be used alone.

MountainBudz

I have always taken other peoples real life experience into consideration. When you see these guys growing nice crops of the same strains run after run and then suddenly they have hermies once they introduce true blooms, that is a legitimate reason to believe it's a very good possibility when everything else in the room is in check.

Loc Dog

Veteran
You can use a green light when lights are out, if you need to be in room. I have a green flashlight, since I very rarely need to check anything when lights are out.

stim

If you have nanners check your other plants pistils for coloring those nanners pollinate everything once you see them. fu*kers LOL I'm sorry to hear it nanners are usually caused by stress on the plant they aren't full blown hermies that have sacs and nugs. Once again sorry to hear it's a stress thing like you said maybe just more nutes than they are used to high P for instance. good luck!

MountainBudz

You can use a green light when lights are out, if you need to be in room. I have a green flashlight, since I very rarely need to check anything when lights are out.

Hey Loc Doc what little time I have been in the room for an extended 5 mins or so when the lights dog shot off I always use a green flashlight. I have been guerilla growing for over 16 years and always used a green flashlight out in the bush as well once the science come out to back that up I never used regular light again.

Thanks for laying that out though bud.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Hey Loc Doc what little time I have been in the room for an extended 5 mins or so when the lights dog shot off I always use a green flashlight. I have been guerilla growing for over 16 years and always used a green flashlight out in the bush as well once the science come out to back that up I never used regular light again.

Thanks for laying that out though bud.

When I had them with GG4, it was from the red lights on powerstrips. Was under HPS with lights on, and swore their were yellow spots on a few buds. I think I found about 3 seeds in entire room.

Accidental hermie seed was how GG4 was born.