What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Most Potent Landrace Indica commercially available

Limeygreen

Veteran
Two questions,
I see two uzbekistan p4 and p5 at phylos, is there a reason they have not made it out to the public (maybe I just have not seen them in any case) compared to afghani? The descriptors of cannabiogens tanskenti sound great so I am left thinking it might be desirable but not a lot of talk about it.

If you were to just breed a line for your self and maybe some friends, what would be the lowest population to grow at once be to not muck up the line? It seems the easiest way to get a large population is to split it up amongst many folks in the year you wish to grow it, say 10 people grow 100 plants each and then everyone can segregate the pollen, mix it all together and pollinate all their females with all the mixed pollen or controlled pollinations from each male. That just seems the easiest way to have the larger populations to me, work as a group or does the pollination need to be open (doesn't make sense to me but figured I would ask.)

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
If you want to breed a variety what you suggest is fine, for preserving/conserving all the diversity in a variety you want 1000 males and 1000 females minimum, open pollinated to insure no gene loss. Two different goals.

-SamS

Two questions,
I see two uzbekistan p4 and p5 at phylos, is there a reason they have not made it out to the public (maybe I just have not seen them in any case) compared to afghani? The descriptors of cannabiogens tanskenti sound great so I am left thinking it might be desirable but not a lot of talk about it.

If you were to just breed a line for your self and maybe some friends, what would be the lowest population to grow at once be to not muck up the line? It seems the easiest way to get a large population is to split it up amongst many folks in the year you wish to grow it, say 10 people grow 100 plants each and then everyone can segregate the pollen, mix it all together and pollinate all their females with all the mixed pollen or controlled pollinations from each male. That just seems the easiest way to have the larger populations to me, work as a group or does the pollination need to be open (doesn't make sense to me but figured I would ask.)

troutman

Seed Whore
No I did understand you, all 100 females use in each of the 10 cycles so 1000 females total, but they do not recieve pollen from all of the 1000 males they only receive pollen from the 100 males used in that cycle, that will change the gene frequencies retained, do you not understand this? Read the Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium if any of the 5 are violated then the genepool changes, population size is key.

Look at #1 in this chart:
https://www.hammiverse.com/lectures/23/4.html
-SamS

Don't you know about the Island Model in population genetics?

Exchange of genetics occurs afterwards so all the islands are genetically tied together.

They are not isolated for all of eternity. So I think I violated Rule #2.

I seriously doubt anyone in here will ever plant the Effective Number of a 1000 males and 1000 females anyways.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Don't you know about the Island Model in population genetics?

Exchange of genetics occurs afterwards so all the islands are genetically tied together.

They are not isolated for all of eternity.

I seriously doubt anyone in here will ever plant the Effective Number of a 1000 males and 1000 females anyways.

In my state you could run 72 new seeds every 4 to 6 months. Proper labeling and saving the right plants. The help of a few friends. 1000 of each in 10 years is not even much of a stretch. And thats operating within the law. There are people with permits for huge gardens and warehouses. While I am sure 99% will grow clones. I would hope the other 1% breeds and experiments. I think with all the legal states popping up that we are about to see a nice wave of very well bred strains. Even if it is only a few actually crunching the numbers. I know they are out there.

Im smashing through 36 a few times a year on a good year.

Y

Yard dog

Two questions,

As SamS says you aren't preserving, you would be creating genetic speciation and then when putting the populations together getting a degree of genetic variance.

The same applies to the Island model to my knowledge, ie an island population called Is1 will be adapted and climatised to that locale and overtime become homozygous for the traits required, this has probably been seen in the likes of genes from Thailand taken to Colombia.. another Island Is2 would of become homozygous for the traits suited to that locale.. putting them together does not mean you have preserved all the genes.

https://www.isbreeding.net/common/UploadFiles/file/publications/17_english.pdf
https://cropgenebank.sgrp.cgiar.org...ic-sampling-strategies-theory-and-practice131

Last edited:

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you want to breed a variety what you suggest is fine, for preserving/conserving all the diversity in a variety you want 1000 males and 1000 females minimum, open pollinated to insure no gene loss. Two different goals.

-SamS

That's a pretty rough equation if you don't say anything about the size of the plants and the resulting amounts of seeds. We've seen very small flowering plants harvesting only a handful of seeds and there are giant outdoor bushes of 6m height that could yield several thousands. I'm guessing the really important measure is the seed count. With an average total of 1000 seeds per plant we are getting 1 million seeds. And what then?

zif

Veteran
Suppose I self each of 1000 plants. How do I lose alleles, compared with the open pollination? What about if I randomly choose 1 male, 1 female, and then only pollinate that pair, and proceed through 1000 parents that way? How does that 'lose genes'?

I feel like you're adding an implicit 6th rule to the HW equilibrium, requiring all males to mate with all females. But vertebrate biologists are quite happy to use it to understand populations which are much closer to single male - single female mating, with single offspring to boot....

I totally agree regarding population size for preserving a landrace, but I think you can carve up the large numbered parental population in any number of smaller plantings that is convenient.

Isn't a real field, in any case, best understood as a set of islands dictated by the locations of pollen sources? That is, each male is not randomly mated with all others; but rather he is most prominent in females that are closer, and less prominent in females further away. That implies that any field is a set of smaller batches of male x females crosses, anyway.

-SamS

Last edited:

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I planting out some of my own breeds this season. Might do upto 50 of each to get my numbers. Thinking I can run 2 lines, Jamaican & Skunk. More then that & it's silly for my needs. Not even sure if I can use Phylos in Spain I've contacted them but they don't seem to reply so I am growing these ear to row, picking the best looking boy of each line to pollinate. I will use up to 3 males if I get them.

Planning growing it as Sensi outdoors so I will be using some pollination bags & lolly popping them & after they dust up cutting them & taking them inside to put the pollen into more bags to do the pollinating.

I've got 3 spots in different valleys so I can run 3 Vars season this way. Looking for the most useful line from them to keep running..

I'd like to get a nice Colombian gold type to grow

troutman

Seed Whore
I'd like to get a nice Colombian gold type to grow

Pure Colombian Gold takes too long in the North. :tiphat:

Last year, I tested 7 Colombian Gold F1 hybrids I made using a mold and cold resistant Indica.
They were cut down in late October before the cold weather would have killed them. I know
that they could have gone another few weeks I'm sure. This year, I'm hopefully going to test
an island's worth of F2's to try and find faster phenotypes to continue breeding with.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pure Colombian Gold takes too long in the North. :tiphat:

Last year, I tested 7 Colombian Gold F1 hybrids I made using a mold and cold resistant Indica.
They were cut down in late October before the cold weather would have killed them. I know
that they could have gone another few weeks I'm sure. This year, I'm hopefully going to test
an island's worth of F2's to try and find faster phenotypes to continue breeding with.

What's the north? I want to plant it @ 37N must be something that will work there

troutman

Seed Whore
What's the north? I want to plant it @ 37N must be something that will work there

Maybe a hybrid like I'm working on would work.

But even in California, a pure Colombian would be hard to ripen outdoors if at all.

I'll probably use another Indica later on to bring the flowering time down a little.

Which is why this thread is interesting.

Hopefully, a super potent Landrace Indica shows up or at least that can be worked on.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How much dark will it need for how long @what temps? Get a maximum of 15 hrs dropping to 10

ambertrichome

Veteran
I guess it may not have been out long enough yet, but Barneys Farm has an IBL Afghan Hashplant, that looks to be Mazar from the 70s, if you can believe them.

It looks like Barneys has started making.. REGULARS AGAIN. I used to grow the G13 x Haze ( G13 x Hawaiian in reality ) and it was a really good plant, and of good potency. Yield was huge, and fast growing. They also have reintroduced this in Regulars.

Im very interested in the HP, but I have a hard time believeing its Mazar because from what Ive researched... Real IBL Mazar aint done until Late November -Mid December in USA.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
I guess it may not have been out long enough yet, but Barneys Farm has an IBL Afghan Hashplant, that looks to be Mazar from the 70s, if you can believe them.

the plants can be good. but nope, you cant believe their description of pedigree :D

troutman

Seed Whore

It looks like Barneys has started making.. REGULARS AGAIN. I used to grow the G13 x Haze ( G13 x Hawaiian in reality ) and it was a really good plant, and of good potency. Yield was huge, and fast growing. They also have reintroduced this in Regulars.

Im very interested in the HP, but I have a hard time believeing its Mazar because from what Ive researched... Real IBL Mazar aint done until Late November -Mid December in USA.

The RSC Mazar is real and why I got them. :tiphat:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=6100726#post6100726

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
the plants can be good. but nope, you cant believe their description of pedigree :D

Barney's farm seems to use Reeferman's gear.

This is breeder reeferman like the vast majority of barneys farm gear after the 2005 cup when I was working with Barneys I won the CC best strain 05 for willie nelson & the 06 Highlife cup with pink kush for barneys , the entire barneys line after 05 were just rehashed versions of reeferman seed clones that were taken from our breeding facility in Amsterdam hours before it was ratted out . the A lemon is LP#2 (LOVE POTION#2) With Cherry bomb he did not even change the name or cherry berry , charles Kush he calls violator kush , King he calls 8 ball kush , apple pie he calls Acapulco gold . He never had parent plants just clones the list goes on guys .

Burt

Veteran
It’s a seedy business as we all know but I’ve found the genetics to be legit
Liberty haze and tangerine dream were both first class and that was feminized singles-I bet elites are routinely found in those lines that were stolen from reeferman, who himself has a less than admirable past

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
yeah but I was talking about description, not plants. why to lie about pedigree? and make a clown from a customer? :D but some people like it, thats their life, to be a clown, Im ok wih it :D