What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Revival of the REVIVAL of the ULTIMATE SATIVA THREAD a.k.a R.U.S.T II

vermontman

G`day V

Natural as well as human selection.
Selecting for bigger tighter flowers in a place that gets hurricanes . Or earlier flowering at a time of heavy rains . Might send the farmer broke if its a bad season .

Selecting for supple stems and looser flowers and natural selection through environment may narrow the phenotypes to those that suit local conditions . The longer the selection went on the more I would expect to see evolution and adaption .
Keeping in mind the seeds had to come from a different locale . Many generations ago .

Until sensimilla the size and presentation of flowers would have been selected with different criteria . So a new pheno would be selected again .

Different goals in different eras .

Thanks for sharin

EB

Very well put and I fully agree, And so we keep on selecting.
And with a plant as quickly adaptable as our beloved cannabis it can happen rather rapidly. Two seasons ago I selected out a purple pheno from my Oaxacan gold line last year yielded two purple females and two purple stemmed males now on third generation of that line every one of the offspring of this year has purple to almost black stems.

idiit

Veteran
quote"Now maybe I am not seeing this correctly but the vintage photo of Acapulco Gold by no means looks thin , airy, whispy to me."

Vermontman, that pic of ag looks bricked to me.

I want the pd ag to be legit. I hope it is legit. you take a huge sativa cola and compress it for transport and it would look like the above imo.

if that^ cola was gold it would be a good representation of what I sold in "75. when you broke up the compressed cola it was obviously what we call sativa. the lightly compressed Colombo that totally dominated the market at that time had chunkier buds and was evident when they were broken up. these are sativa type buds compressed; at least that's what i'm seeing.

vermontman

Acapulco gold taken from web

Acapulco gold taken from web

These are A.G. pics taken from the web, now I don't know the origin of this strain but just thought a cool comparison to Preservation Dudes A.G. in next post.

Attachments

• thenug-JVm0FEEE52[1].jpg
    thenug-JVm0FEEE52[1].jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 29
  • thenug-Cpret2NYH6[1].jpg
    thenug-Cpret2NYH6[1].jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 29
  • thenug-a3TrKjduCW[1].jpg
    thenug-a3TrKjduCW[1].jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 25
  • thenug-FjnXX34aHt[1].jpg
    thenug-FjnXX34aHt[1].jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 34

vermontman

A.G.

A.G.

Preservation Dudes A.G.

Attachments

• ACAPULCO GOLD CUT 082.jpg
    ACAPULCO GOLD CUT 082.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 30
  • ACAPULCO GOLD CUT 072.jpg
    ACAPULCO GOLD CUT 072.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 35
  • ACAPULCO GOLD CUT 088.jpg
    ACAPULCO GOLD CUT 088.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 35
  • ACAPULCO GOLD CUT 092.jpg
    ACAPULCO GOLD CUT 092.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 30
  • ACAPULCO GOLD CUT 014.jpg
    ACAPULCO GOLD CUT 014.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 30

burningfire

Veteran
that looks very skunky to me..
edit : Actually the 2nd pic from vermontman's post with pics taken from the web is from Seedsman Gold Original skunk #1

idiit

Veteran
quote: "Acapulco gold taken from web "

^ looks to me like the grow reports and pics of barney's farm ag. not the real deal.

Acapulco Gold is the next generation of marijuana. Like the original namesake
https://www.barneysfarm.com/acapulco-gold-26

Currently, Barney's Farm is the only seed maker that produces Acapulco Gold seeds, while Barney's Farm seed is a hybrid strain, it still posses the sativa dominant genes and full Acapulco Gold characteristics
https://www.marijuanauniversity.com/acapulco-gold.html

barney's farm iirc never claimed it is the real deal, just an attempt to recreate the original.

pd's ag is strikingly similar to barney's ag from those pics.

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/plant-and-bud-photos/132302-barneys-farm-acapulco-gold.html

^ lots of pics.

this is so common in today's canna seed biz. we got mazar which is a hybrid, some congo's that are hybrids, i'm tired but there are more. can't remember.

purple clouds

Veteran
I think you must take in consideration all aspects of growing. leds produce the tightest bud structure as they put out more red light which gives the plant yin energy, so you get tighter buds, better roots, and better oil production.
I suspect you don't get the activation of cannabinoids like you would under a more blue spectrum light. Indoor growing should include both IMO for best meds and for looks more similar to outdoor grown. Also nutrition, temperature, and health of the plant can change the looks of plants. I don't think a lot of plants were grown to maturity back in the 70's either, you can see the calyxes didn't swell up on the old pic of acapulco gold.

Every generation there is adaptation, everything is in a constant state of motion. Its up to the growers and breeders to what direction there is adaption.

The thing that matters the most is does the smoke carry the vibes from the legends.

That being said I've had suspicion of some of preservation dudes cultivars not being the real deal back when he was posting on overgrow. If he did keep these pure, did he receive the real deal to begin with? Everyone knows how dealers will tell you are getting something when you are really not, but your paying for it.

idiit

Veteran
I think you must take in consideration all aspects of growing. leds produce the tightest bud structure as they put out more red light which gives the plant yin energy, so you get tighter buds, better roots, and better oil production.

excellent point pc.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
that looks very skunky to me..
edit : Actually the 2nd pic from vermontman's post with pics taken from the web is from Seedsman Gold Original skunk #1

G`day BF

I was thinkin the same .
Then saw your post and thought ; yep .

Consider the movement of people in the past 50 years .
Many peoples have left traditional growing hot spots and gone to live and work in Major Capitals .
They could bring hybrid seeds home when they visit family . Just as we see seeds moving in the opposite directions .
How many Jamaicans returned with Sk or hybrids ?
Marocans , Vietnamese , Lao, Burmese . Then in Africa the old colonies of Portugal , Spain , England and France .Spain and Holland in Sth America .

All those countries have expatriates living in the US or EU .
Its not only Arjan who takes Dutch seeds to the growing regions .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Preservation's Acapulco Gold looks nothing like any sativa I got in the seventies. Growing indoors may have altered the genetics over the course of decades?

The Nierika seed trust AG looks more legit imo. I understand the AG might have been a more dense type plant than common Mexican, never had it so can not say. The best Mexican I had was stringy, loose and dull looking and tasting. Looked no different than commercial, well browner. Mushroom like high however.

vermontman

A blast from the past

A blast from the past

EARLY 1980S HIGHTIMES
It dawned on me that I had saved only one issue of Hightimes mag of which I threw out hundreds.Now this is the Acapulco Gold and other tastys I remember as a young whipper snapper.

Attachments

• EARLY 1980S HIGHTIMES 002.jpg
    EARLY 1980S HIGHTIMES 002.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 47
  • EARLY 1980S HIGHTIMES 011.jpg
    EARLY 1980S HIGHTIMES 011.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 46
  • EARLY 1980S HIGHTIMES 015.jpg
    EARLY 1980S HIGHTIMES 015.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 51
  • EARLY 1980S HIGHTIMES 016.jpg
    EARLY 1980S HIGHTIMES 016.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 47

Dr.King

Veteran
Too bad I can't read the labels. Looks like you have a damn fine collection @ your place.

If you click the resize on his photo you will see some amazing crosses. Great job man :tiphat:. Do you plan on documenting these crosses? I hope you do so we can see the results :).

His crosses mainly consist of Durban X and Malawi X. The one that really looks interesting is the Dr. Grinspoon x Durban, please do explain.

subrovka

His crosses mainly consist of Durban X and Malawi X. The one that really looks interesting is the Dr. Grinspoon x Durban, please do explain.

It´s a short flowering, dense and chunky nugs (9-10weeks) Dr. Grinspoon pheno with a intense Haze smell crossed to different Durban males! Unfortunately I have no pictures of the Grinspoon mother atm, but I revegged her and gonna show some pictures soon.
I didn´t test them so far but I´m gonna report of the crosses I made in this thread here. Nice to hear you guys like it!
Currently I´m testing Jacks Cleaner II x Malawi and Malawi x JC II, it´s almost 100% Sat but there´s still some NL in the lineage so it´s in my hybrid collection and the seeds are not on the pic, but I´m gonna show some pictures of the girls soon. The goal was to decrease flower time of the Malawi while increasing the yield and keeping the flavour of the JC or mixing it with some tropical hints..yeah something like this I guess : ) The JC II is one of the strongest Sativa hybrids I have grown, so crossing it to the strongest Sativa I have was something that had to be made :biggrin:
:tiphat:

ps. I´m gonna report of my Malawi x Durban crosses in the ACE subforum soon..

Last edited:

Siever

Veteran
Subrovka,

What's is your overall impression of Dr. Grinspoon? I've been interested in this strain for many years already, but Ace seeds has so many tempting strains I went through their catalogue first.
A tip to reduce flowering time is to give less hours of light. For example 11h. light & 13h. darkness. This is even necessary to finish a pure sativa properly.

kind regards,

subrovka

What's is your overall impression of Dr. Grinspoon? I've been interested in this strain for many years already, but Ace seeds has so many tempting strains I went through their catalogue first.

..there are several different phenos in this strain, from 10 weeks with dense chunky indica nugs to over 15 weeks with x-mas tree structure or the pearl necklace pheno, which I didn´t find so far but I guess I´m gonna grow another pack soon to go for it :D however, I like the shorter flowering phenos. found one with incredible bud structure, smell and also good potency so I crossed it to some promising looking Durban males. Unfortunately there are no Grinspoon males available..
Every grower should have grown a Grinspoon once but you also never can´t do anything wrong with some ACE gear! ;)

A tip to reduce flowering time is to give less hours of light.

..can´t do this because I have girls from day 1 to day 100 in the same tent, so it takes a little longer to finish but they also put on lots of weight in the final weeks :)

greetings :tiphat:

Siever

Veteran
..can´t do this because I have girls from day 1 to day 100 in the same tent, so it takes a little longer to finish but they also put on lots of weight in the final weeks :)

greetings :tiphat:

Too bad!!! honestly If you do like that after stretch you don't lose much yield at all!.
Rumour has it that Cannabiogen's Destroyer has a similar phenotype. It's said to be found faster with regular seeds. B.T.W. Cannabiogen is a great company too, but my personal preference goes to Ace Seeds.

Siever