What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis grafting

Very interesting.

FWIW, I found that tissue culture which were rooted stored for much longer at 4C. Maybe if you root the cuttings first (e.g. in aero cloner) you could store them for longer. Not sure if that would be advantagious to your needs.

JKD

Veteran
Grafting on to a larger rootstock is very interesting to me. If we have a four plant limit I am hoping for 3 mothers and a multi-grafted, perhaps perpetually flowering rootstock. Thanks for your info Darpa.

H e d g e

Tomacco bud

Tomacco bud

I'm a horticulturalist. Have been for 10 years. Qualified anyway. I have grafted many plants. Give me links to these plants that have been grafted to other families?

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-scientists-enzyme-grafting-families.html
:plant grow:

H e d g e

‘After reading it though it seems like the grafts may not have lived much more then a month’

Hi ozz! You had me worried for a minute.. tobacco seeds and scalpel in hand :).
Just re read it and cant see what you mean?
It says they harvested a tomato from a three month old daisy and that they have worked out the mechanism involved. I suspect we will see inter species grafting gel before long.

"Our latest results regarding the key molecules involved, not just interfamily grafting itself, could help improve plant grafting techniques so that the variety of root systems available to aid crop production can be increased with minimal destruction of ecosystems."

I’m currently attempting to stop a zamal bliss scion that makes you want to roll one trouser leg up and put a gold chain over your t shirt from semi autoflowering by grafting her onto some photoperiodic roots.
But I do like the idea of grafting buds onto hops in the tree tops.

ozza

Veteran
The results showed that Nicotiana, used as either scion or rootstock, succeeded in maintaining grafts for more than a month with 73 species in 38 families.
Its says more then a month. I would love to read the paper.

Darpa

Hi ICMAG friends!!!!! I hope everybody is doing fine!

Here is a new experiment! Let’s call it : Seeds Making from a budding unrooted clone

I was just curious, but the results could be usefull for small scale growers with interest in breeding and seeds making.

The hypothesis is that it is possible to harvest viable seeds from a budding cutting. If it was proven possible, a breeder could process an intensive Bx confirmation trials in their IBL project that would be helpfull selection of candidate for their breeding project. (I’ll document this in a new thread in the BreederLaboratory forum since I’m actually working on my main project : knocking slow veg in an extrodinary Sherb GSC ogkb mutan pheno .

Here we go! I’ll do as they do in kitchen show! I’ll show you all the step of my experiment, and then I’ll show you a previous undocumented test run to show you the end result! So before you comment that it is genious or stupid, just wait few minutes…..

A pretty big storm broke one of my Durban Poison that I use for breeding purpose (with Biker kush, the Sweety and my special cut of BKGW) I was able to save her but one of the branch was complety broken from the plant... So, instead of throwing it in the trash, I decided to test if you can pollinate a budding unrooted cut since noboddy tried this at my understanding..

Here is the Lady after fixing the damage:

20210918_173912.jpg

I placed the budded cut of Durban in plain water with a cut of my BkxSherb GSC (ogkb mutan pheno) (that I’m using for my long term breeding project) in water until the male drop pollen on the Durban. Calix are sweeling like pollinated plant and pistil are turning brown, but I first doubt that I would end up with mature seeds without the addition of nutrient. But ..... Why not try this!!!!!!

Here is the pollinated Durban after 3 weeks of been cut off from the plant and 2 weeks after the BKxSherb GSK dropped its pollen.:

20210912_200725.jpg

Do you think I will end up with some viable seeds???

Attachments

• 20210918_173912.jpg
    20210918_173912.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Darpa

So here the preliminary results. I decided to check on one of the pollinated pod:

20210928_095130.jpg

Here is the seed (pretty huge one: 0,5 cm)

20210928_094809.jpg

Why stop there? I was curious to see if I can reproduce this experiment, but instead of using fresh pollen I'm using some frozen stored pollen from a Biker Kush selected male (1+ year old). I'm also using an other Durban Poison strain. Here is the fresh cutted plant material:

20210928_180137.jpg

Some cleaning and leaves removal:

20210928_180319.jpg

Acclimating a small amount of pollen to room temperature:

20210928_181527.jpg

Darpa

Applying the pollen with a brush on every pistils:

20210928_192103.jpg

Final look:

20210928_181951.jpg

The cut is keep on a 12-12 light cycle. I'll post the end result at seeds harvest!

Darpa

zif

Veteran
Neat experiment, Darpa! Reminds me how easily we forget that photons and CO2 are the most important plant ‘foods’.

It would be interesting to see how a comparable uncut branch performed, as a control. I assume seed yield would be different, but also wonder about overall viability and possible epigenetic impacts of the ‘stress’.

How goes the cryopreservation work?

Ps - supposed to be a better version of icmag coming soon - don’t let the quirks of this one scare you away.

Amynamous

Darpa - just curious…how often do you change the h2o? Are you using any rooting hormone? What is the advantage of using a lid on the jar vs leaving the jar open? Thanks.

Darpa

Neat experiment, Darpa! Reminds me how easily we forget that photons and CO2 are the most important plant ‘foods’.

It would be interesting to see how a comparable uncut branch performed, as a control. I assume seed yield would be different, but also wonder about overall viability and possible epigenetic impacts of the ‘stress’.

How goes the cryopreservation work?

Ps - supposed to be a better version of icmag coming soon - don’t let the quirks of this one scare you away.

Hi Zif!

For the -20 scion preservation in CPA solution, I was able to clone 7 month preserved scion. I still have a 18 months test tu run. However, I had to discard my remaining samples stored at 4 degree since they were way to damaged, so we can conclude that 4c is just suitable for short time storage....

For your question about the use of control sample on the last experiment. I did some post pollenisation on lower branch of the Durban, but I wouldn't call it a Control sample since I used different batch of frozen pollen (Biker Kush, The Sweeties and my BKGW (Biker Kush x Gorilla Wreck purple pheno) instead of fresh pollen from my SherbxBikerKush selected male.... But I will be able to have idea...

Here is the Durban with pollinated lower branch...

20211003_202638.jpg

Darpa

Darpa - just curious…how often do you change the h2o? Are you using any rooting hormone? What is the advantage of using a lid on the jar vs leaving the jar open? Thanks.

Hi Anynamous,
I change the water at least every week (usually twice a week)
I din't use any rooting hormone in the experiment since I want the plant to direct its energy in seeds development instead of roots formation. I the best world, I would have try this experiment in a semi liquid agar growth media....
For the use of a lid vs open jar, it's just more convinent for me, the sample stay straight up, and there less chance for foreign object contamination...
Cheer

Darpa