What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lolab Valley Kashmiri

Breadwizard

Sourced through the Indian Landrace Exchange (through Ace). These are the smallest seeds I've ever worked with, germination rate was 8/24, I had a hell of a time getting them to sprout using my usual methods, ended up tossing them all into a seed tray, how I typically sprout other veggies. Seen here with pepper seedlings.
picture.php

I transferred everything to solo cups with a light soil mix so as to not burn the seedlings. Here's after a couple of weeks.
picture.php

I've never dealt with plants with a dwarfing habit, but these are crazy. Branching out at 3 nodes, hardly any room between nodes, here's an early photo before topping to get clones for sexing.
picture.php

Here's a untopped one at about 4 weeks.
picture.php

Next post will go into some of the early showing traits in the seedlings. Plan is to do a preservation open pollination, and outcross to a few early lines for experimental early outdoor plants. I hope they end up getting bigger, these look really small!

More updates to follow later.

squatty

Looking good. I see there is some good information on the growth and structure of this strain on the Ace site. Some excellent photos also. It even shows one of the little squat plants in early vegetative growth.

Breadwizard

I'm surprised there's no other grow info on these, besides what's on ace's and indian Landrace Exchange's site.

Here's some more recent photos showing some structural differences in the seedlings. Quite a varied line, but the package said "not farmed" so I suppose it should be expected to have a good amount of variation.
picture.php

Here's a plant showing red/purple stem, a common trait in these. Plant was topped a few weeks ago to get a clone for sexing (this one's male)
picture.php

This is showing the very horizontal habit of some of these seedlings. This plant was topped the same time as the previous photo, and the side branches continue to spread out, almost without going vertically at all. The whole plant is maybe 2-3" off the soil.
picture.php

This one was also topped at the same time, but shows an upright habit, while still being just as branchy.

Very small plants, but I actually quite like it, as they begin to bush out so early, that they are hardly slowed down after an early topping. The earliest male clone began flowering during natural light cycle, and may be difficult to keep in veg.

Updates will come when I up pot everybody.

musigny23

I have some too and tried to germinate some and got nothing. I realize now that with these there is no saving some for a future grow.
If you're going to grow these it has to be all in.

Breadwizard

Musigngny that's what happened to me, I put 10 of them in water to soak, my normal method, but got nothing, didn't even crack. I put those along with all the rest directly into the seedtray along with some pepper plants I'm growing this season, and voila, a few came up. I was very surprised, another just came up from that same soil a few days ago, nearly 4 weeks after the others.

musigny23

Musigngny that's what happened to me, I put 10 of them in water to soak, my normal method, but got nothing, didn't even crack. I put those along with all the rest directly into the seedtray along with some pepper plants I'm growing this season, and voila, a few came up. I was very surprised, another just came up from that same soil a few days ago, nearly 4 weeks after the others.

May I ask how long was the soak? And then how long in the seed tray till you had sprouts?

There's still time so I might try again. I have heard that sometimes a few seeds pop up weeks later.

Breadwizard

My usual is to float the seeds on top some water in a shot glass until tails appear, or the seeds crack (usually three days or so), then put them into soil or peat pucks. That was completely ineffective with these. I just took the rest of the seeds and combined them with the soaked seeds in the tray. A bit less than a week I saw some come above soil.

I don't know if those sprouted ones are the soaked seeds or the fresh ones though, because they were all mixed together.

The last one (for now, I'll leave the tray out longer still, there's cucumber seeds in there presently) came up a few days ago.

I've read that some more uncultivated seeds do better direct into soil.

Breadwizard

Mini update: all the seedlings except the smallest who popped up a month later have declared sex.
I have clone backups of every one, however the seed plant of plant 'B' was purged, as he declared super early, and the clone refuses to switch back to veg. I'd rather keep full autoflowering out of the main OP line. Here's the lineup:
Males:
picture.php

Females:
picture.php

I do plan on pollinating my semi-autoflowering Syrian female with the autoflowering Lolab male, for a possible dwarf autoflowering line to dig through at a later time.

Breadwizard

And here's a close up shot of the favorite male so far, compact structure, characteristic red/purple stem showing.
picture.php

Female:

vcasqui

Oh nice. I had my eye on these. Sadly I can't afford them atm, and my outdoor season has already started. They look really unique, I like them; but 8/20 it's a dam low rate for seeds that pricey.

Please keep us updated. This is very interesting :)

Last edited:

Breadwizard

Oh nice. I had my eye on these. Sadly I can't afford them atm, and my outdoor season has already started. They look really unique, I like them; but 8/20 it's a dam low rate for seeds that pricey.

Please keep us updated. This is very interesting :)
I'm not sure these are ready for prime time in their pure form, they are quite dwarfed and weedy looking, more like escaped or feral varieties. I see a few traits, that of passed on in an outcross, would be useful for outdoor growing: dwarfed, low stature, early and vigerous branching, and they appear to like filtered light more than bright full sun (they grow below forest canopy). Of course the strong mold resistance is always a bonus.

On the negatives, it's apparent they have autoflowering tendency, which starts quite early and is impossible to reverse, limiting plant size. It's also apparent quite early that this will be a very low yelding strain in it's pure form.

Not sure how they'll smoke yet, so I'm holding out until a smoke test before I begin testing the outcrossed offspring. I plan on pollinating a few lines with the pollen of my favorite male of the bunch. Outcrossing females planned are First Lady (o deli, crinkle leaf pheno), Syrian (RSC, semi autoflowering sativa pheno), and this great old PNW fruity purple outdoor line I was gifted, the latter has the opposite morphology. I would love to cross it with DHN's Lemongrass clone, but it's been hard to procure in the current pandemic times.

I'll take some update pictures and follow up with a post later today with some phenotype thoughts on what I got from my seeds.

Edit: here's the smaller leaf pheno (the larger one still has small leaves, just not this small)
picture.php

vcasqui

Yep, the traits I'm most interested in are: Mold resistance, flowering time, resin production, structure, terpenes/flavour and type of high (amount of THC/CBD is always interesting, but that would require running lab tests on them). So pretty much I'm interested in every aspect of the plant hahaha.

I imagined that the yield would be quite low just by looking at the pics in the website's description, but the resin production looks pretty decent. I'm surprised about the autoflowering tendencies tho; I think they don't say anything about that in the Indian Landrace Exchange website. Does that mean it would be too difficult to maintain a mom to make clones from her? Have you tried?

Those leaves are tiny :O What a curious strain…

Thanks for the updates man.
:tiphat:

Breadwizard

Re: autoflowering
All the plants I have pictured have been topped once, in order to retain anything that is especially good (I usually keep the females I like best, along with a good male from every strain I run). My veg/mother area indoors is set to 15 hours of light, which is the longest day here (actually 14.75 hours). All of my clones ended up beginning flower, even in 15 hours of light, around the same time as the seed plants that are outside. The only other strain to do this to me is my semi-autoflowering Syrian sativa pheno (the indica presenting one remains in veg under the same conditions). They may remain in veg under more hours, like 18/6, but I haven't tried it.

Here's some pictures of the females doing thier thing. The two main phenotypes seem to separate by leaf morphology: the small leaf phenotype is more compact and upright,vwith more "indica" shaped leaves, where the larger leaf phenotype is lankier and has more flexible stems, which sprawl horizontally from the plant. Both have very small leaves. Here's the two large leaf phenotype females:
picture.php

picture.php

And then the small leaf female, and corresponding male
picture.php

picture.php

Breadwizard

This thread is going in real-time, so everything is in early days of flowering, not even much smell on the plants yet, even with a stem rub.

I'm hoping it turns out half way decent, so it won't degrade anything that's crossed with it, but that is to be seen. I'm really excited about what traits it passes on in an outcross.

Breadwizard

Unfortunately none will end up in the ground for this round, I don't have a space for them, so they'll continue to live in pots on a sunny patio. The males are living in smaller pots, in a west facing window, away from the females.

Apartment living with a shared yard has it's limitations.