What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can I use tap water with organic nutrients

GANJA MONSTA

Like Lester said - Yes. You absolutely may use organic nutes with tap water but ALWAYS let tap water sit out with the top of the container OFF for at least 24hrs to evaporate the chlorine out (shake vigorously for 30-60sec before watering/feeding plants; this replaces the dissolved oxygen that has evaporated along with the chlorine). Check the Ph of your tap water before and after mixing your nutes. Once you know what the Ph of your tap water is, you don't need to check it again, at least for awhile. I check the Ph of my tap water once a month.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Whatever is "extra" in it, will end up in the flowers. Believe me, cannabis will suck it up and pack it away for later. ;)

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
You need to check the pH. The tap water in my city is way off too high. When I first started growing I nute locked because the plant pH was 7.9 and the plant didn't get the nutes it needed. Some cities have water that is about right. The cities should run pH just a little basic so nasty stuff doesn't come off the pipes like in Flint, Michigan.

Granger2

Veteran
Some lines of organic nutes recommend tap. Earth Juice and Biocanna are examples. Good luck. -granger

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Most cities, including mine, use chloramine, which does not evaporate. I bought a water conditioner liquid that is used for fish aquariums which from my understanding, splits chloramine, into ammonium and chlorine, and from there it will evaporate. Correct me if I am wrong, anyone.

Also water reports are public property available from the utilities companies website, at least mine is. It shows all the tds /ppms, cholramine, ph values etc, tested on a monthly basis

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Easy solution is to add campden tablets to the water while it is sitting the 24 hours. This will separate the chloramine into ammonia and chlorine, which will evaporate off. Add aeration if you want to speed up the process.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Yes I think that is what water conditioner is as well basically. I got 2L of nutrafin brand for $30. and 1 ml treats 1G so thats 2,000 Gallons for $30 CAD which is around $20 USD. Might be easier to measure out based on your res since its liquid as well.

I assumed if it was good enough for fish it would be good enough for the plants. Someone else can chime in.
Here is link

https://www.amazon.ca/Nutrafin-A793...=1507789780&sr=8-2&keywords=water+conditioner