What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Goats Grows Flood and Drain Coco - Purple Kush/Rainbow Jones

Goats

Looking good. I'd like to hear your impression of the Mammoth P when done. I received a free sample from them a year ago but somehow lost it when we moved to our new house.

will do. i have heard mostly good things, but wanted to check it out for myself.

snapped a pic tonight while i was checking in on the plants. day 3 of 12/12.

picture.php

i also tried rooting a cut directly into a solo shotglass cup of coco. it took a couple of weeks because of cold temps, but it rooted. we did the same for the rest of the cuts we took the other day, so hopefully they all root. i figure it's best to clone in the medium they will be grown in. it also saves me having to buy plugs or rockwool.

picture.php

picture.php

this cut is the pk. i think we will turn one of the pk cuts and one of the rj cuts (if worth running again) into moms and veg some cuts as backups next round in case the female:male ratio is shitty on the greenpoint strains i want to run.

currently thinking about bandit breath (ogkb x stardawg) and tomahawk (gg4 x stardawg). run 6 of each and cross our fingers for lots of ladies.

:tiphat:

Bmac1

Veteran
Looking good in here. That screen will be a sea of buds soon. Those greenpoint beans should produce some nice stuff too.

Goats

pk is starting to show pistils, still waiting on the rj.

stretching now, but nothing too crazy. the canopy is uneven overall, because the rj are running away a bit more than the pk, but the plants individually have pretty even canopies.

picture.php

Miraculous Meds

Hey goats hows it going? Im doing a little fnd and had a couple questions for ya. What size flower pot are those in, and How many times a day are you flooding?
thanks,
mm

Goats

Hey goats hows it going? Im doing a little fnd and had a couple questions for ya. What size flower pot are those in, and How many times a day are you flooding?
thanks,
mm

hey MM. i am using 2 gallon smart pots and flooding twice/day. i actually just added the second flood last night when changing the reservoir. the plants were starting to get a bit yellow so i'm hoping the second flood will take care of that.

the first flood happens an hour after lights come on and the second one an hour before they go off. if that doesn't do the trick i will increase the strength of the nutes a bit. running 500-600ppm of jacks 321 with mammoth p and a fulvic supplement fyi.

this is actually my first time running fnd as well so i am just learning. people here have helped a lot, resinryder particularly.

Miraculous Meds

Thanks for the reply. If you don't mind ill share a little of what im doing here since we are doing some similar things. Ive picked RR's brain a little. Knowledgeable and friendly fellow.

I run jacks as well. Im usually around 1.2ec, but do get tip burn that I believe is a deficiency do to lack of alkalinity to keep the ph buffered. Usually pops up around week 3 or 4 of flower. Im trying an increase in ec to see if I can solve the problem with more ca from the correct ratio of jacks for coir. So 1.4 to 1.6ec now. Another alternative to adding more nutrient is just using some tap water. A good 100 to 200 ppm probably has enough calcium and alkalinity to keep ph buffered pretty well. If you know your water, and how to adjust your nutrient to meet the correct ratio for coir, then that would be a fine route. Im just sticking with the correct ratio and increasing concentration slightly to avoid any imbalance of the cec. Otherwise Ive been happy with the performance of just jacks.

I had pretty decent luck starting with seedlings in solo cups at twice a day from transplant. Ive recently went into 1 gallon pots and was unsure if I should keep flooding twice a day or let them dry cycle a couple times to stretch the roots in the new pot. I split the plants into 2 trays. One flooding twice a day, and the other I hand water about every other day, then, once a day when they feel more than 50% dry. Im just 5 or so days after transplanting and it seems pretty equal in terms of white fuzzy roots coming out the bottom of the pots. In a couple more days I will flip them into flower and inspect several root masses from each tray to see if there was a winner in the water frequency test.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Ive also got an indica dominate pk that looks similar to yours. I don't have positive identification for mine, but after some research I figure its likely sr71 or a close variation. Good smoke, but sure does veg slow and stretch too little for my grow style.
picture.php

picture.php

Goats

Thanks for the reply. If you don't mind ill share a little of what im doing here since we are doing some similar things. Ive picked RR's brain a little. Knowledgeable and friendly fellow.

I run jacks as well. Im usually around 1.2ec, but do get tip burn that I believe is a deficiency do to lack of alkalinity to keep the ph buffered. Usually pops up around week 3 or 4 of flower. Im trying an increase in ec to see if I can solve the problem with more ca from the correct ratio of jacks for coir. So 1.4 to 1.6ec now. Another alternative to adding more nutrient is just using some tap water. A good 100 to 200 ppm probably has enough calcium and alkalinity to keep ph buffered pretty well. If you know your water, and how to adjust your nutrient to meet the correct ratio for coir, then that would be a fine route. Im just sticking with the correct ratio and increasing concentration slightly to avoid any imbalance of the cec. Otherwise Ive been happy with the performance of just jacks.

I had pretty decent luck starting with seedlings in solo cups at twice a day from transplant. Ive recently went into 1 gallon pots and was unsure if I should keep flooding twice a day or let them dry cycle a couple times to stretch the roots in the new pot. I split the plants into 2 trays. One flooding twice a day, and the other I hand water about every other day, then, once a day when they feel more than 50% dry. Im just 5 or so days after transplanting and it seems pretty equal in terms of white fuzzy roots coming out the bottom of the pots. In a couple more days I will flip them into flower and inspect several root masses from each tray to see if there was a winner in the water frequency test.

View Image

View Image

View Image

Ive also got an indica dominate pk that looks similar to yours. I don't have positive identification for mine, but after some research I figure its likely sr71 or a close variation. Good smoke, but sure does veg slow and stretch too little for my grow style.
View Image
View Image

Great information, thanks for sharing. I wasn't sure whether it was best to add a second flood or increase the strength of the solution. I've gone with a second flood for now but will watch them over the next week or so and see how they respond. If the yellowing persists then I will bump the ppm up a bit.

The purple kush was given to me by a local guy in Vancouver so just said "it's real purple kush". After some research I figured this one might be the sr71 as well but I don't know for sure. I know the cut didn't like the hot summer we just had so she is getting a chance to run during the colder months. She is a bit slower in veg than the rj for sure. One of the rj is almost twice the size of the pks and the other is bigger despite having had one of the main branches snap off mid-veg.

Scorp1on

nice grow, Ill keep my eyes open to see how my rainbow jones compare to yours, I flipped mine on 05/12...so we're close haha

Goats

here we are at 7f. adding a second flood has taken care of the yellowing i was seeing. all the new growth is a healthy green.

the rj1 is the stretchiest plant in the tent. fingers crossed she doesn't go too much further.

picture.php

rj2

picture.php

Last edited:

Goats

was trying a couple new things this run in terms of clones. this round we cloned into solo shot cups directly in coco. i up-potted them tonight to 16oz cups.

i think we will continue using this cloning method. it's simple, reliable and i like the idea of keeping the medium the same start to finish.

picture.php

picture.php

also setup a small 2x2 as a veg area. currently using an old mars 300 panel from years ago. thinking of grabbing a 135w qb kit.

the really tiny, haggard looking cut is the rj1. i don't like it as much as the other one so i only took a really sad, unorthodox clone and decided if it was meant to be it would survive. it has rooted, so i guess she gets to live on.

picture.php

starke

"...and i like the idea of keeping the medium the same start to finish."

Same reason I built a perlite wick cloner. Cloner to 16oz Hempy Solo to 3 gal. Hempy. No muss, no fuss.

Goats

nice job on rooting in coir. How did you care for them during rooting?

thanks.

they were thrown in a propagator with a heat mat under it. temps sit around 80-85 in the propagator thanks to the mat. every couple days they are watered using what's in the reservoir their moms are being fed from.

was starting to see roots out the bottom of the solo shot cups in 10-14 days or so.

Buddler

Veteran
Bottom heat and coco cant beat it for easy clones,Just curious why not DTW instead as pots never get flushed with fresh nutes or sit in the same salts with flood and drain ..you should feed them till runoff from the top to flush built up i salts in top of pot every few weeks.Anyways just thinking out loud great looking plants um PK love that strain. i 'll follow along thanks for sharing.

Goats

Bottom heat and coco cant beat it for easy clones,Just curious why not DTW instead as pots never get flushed with fresh nutes or sit in the same salts with flood and drain ..you should feed them till runoff from the top to flush built up i salts in top of pot every few weeks.Anyways just thinking out loud great looking plants um PK love that strain. i 'll follow along thanks for sharing.

hey buddler, thanks for stopping in.

thanks for the tip! we've actually been doing just that. every week or two one of us will scoop out ~1 gallon of water from the reservoir and top feed to flush the salts away. knowing about coco and build up, that was one of the questions i posed to rr and he suggested it as well.
just learning this flood and drain stuff so i'm always looking for tips or personal experiences. holler if you see anything else!

Miraculous Meds

hey buddler, thanks for stopping in.

thanks for the tip! we've actually been doing just that. every week or two one of us will scoop out ~1 gallon of water from the reservoir and top feed to flush the salts away. knowing about coco and build up, that was one of the questions i posed to rr and he suggested it as well.
just learning this flood and drain stuff so i'm always looking for tips or personal experiences. holler if you see anything else!

I don't plan on doing it for my fnd pheno hunt table. I think its ok if you never let them dry. Ill let you know how it goes.

Goats

I don't plan on doing it for my fnd pheno hunt table. I think its ok if you never let them dry. Ill let you know how it goes.

definitely share your results. we've just been doing it because it's not much of a hassle to do it once every week or two and i figured we were better off safe than sorry for our first run in flood and drain.

here are a couple more shots of the plants this evening.

13f

rainbow jones 1
this one is already showing purple and frosting up.
picture.php

rainbow jones 2
this one stretched more than the rest, and is sitting ~6 inches above the rest of the plants. nice thick branches.
picture.php

I like your cloning method, that's the same way I do it cut, scrape, dip, straight into cup with coco, humidity dome and place on bottom of veg tent for a week..easy and effective. I am a big believer in keeping things uncomplicated.