What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

a guide to COCO and Fungus Gnats (little black flies)

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
So whats the thing with covering the cocos with perlite? :)
From my experience with perlite, the shit floats up to the surface some how. Like it diffuses up through the coco/soil and ends up concentrated at the surface. Probably because it's less dense than the soil.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think he means covering with perlite as a preventative for gnats not mixing in the coir.

Which is a pain. You can water slowly after transplant until it stiffens up but it still floats up a bit.

The perlite layer is similar to the sand idea, no? Never done either.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I think he means covering with perlite as a preventative for gnats not mixing in the coir.

Which is a pain. You can water slowly after transplant until it stiffens up but it still floats up a bit.

The perlite layer is similar to the sand idea, no? Never done either.
Gotcha. I used on coco and still use on soil just the lava rocks from home depot, they seem to work well.

Latest posts

Latest posts