What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Quietest 100-150 CFM 4" Exhaust Fan? Elicent Inline or Dayton/ActiveAir Blower?

T

texsativa

But the vortex is the best fan on the market. In my opinion. Way too much for a 150. The fan is whisper quiet when hooked up to ducting, but get ready for some hurricane wind coming your way...I only recommended fantech because of the lower cfm rating and they are made by the same people as Vortex.

Mr_Micro

I appreciate the Fantech recommendation Tex, but I've already gone ahead and ordered the S&P TD 100 fan.

But... on the upside, I believe S&P is a subsidiary of Fantech. So, in an odd sort of way the S&P TD series fans are made by the same people who make Vortex fans :smoke:

Plus the S&P TD fan just seemed a lot more practical for my situation given my limited height of 47" and width/depth of 15.75". The S&P TD 100 fan is only 7" long and 5" wide, where as a Fantech pushing the same CFM is 8.5" long and 9.5" wide. It doesn't sound like a huge difference, but in space as small as mine that makes a big difference in terms of my ceiling space to mount other stuff and it gives me 4.5" more vertical height to work with.

So thanks again for the Fantech recommendation, but hopefully this S&P TD fan will work out just fine... since in a way it actually is a Vortex/Fantech :wink:

Last edited:
T

texsativa

If you are worried about size I'm sure that fan will work out for you.

U

UBER21

Mr_Micro said:
I appreciate the Fantech recommendation Tex, but I've already gone ahead and ordered the S&P TD 100 fan.

But... on the upside, I believe S&P is a subsidiary of Fantech. So, in an odd sort of way the S&P TD series fans are made by the same people who make Vortex fans :smoke:

Plus the S&P TD fan just seemed a lot more practical for my situation given my limited height of 47" and width/depth of 15.75". The S&P TD 100 fan is only 7" long and 5" wide, where as a Fantech pushing the same CFM is 8.5" long and 9.5" wide. It doesn't sound like a huge difference, but in space as small as mine that makes a big difference in terms of my ceiling space to mount other stuff and it gives me 4.5" more vertical height to work with.

So thanks again for the Fantech recommendation, but hopefully this S&P TD fan will work out just fine... since in a way it actually is a Vortex/Fantech :wink:

Keep us posted Micro on how she performa for ya.....Im interested in a small but powerful fan the Vortex are pricey and too noisey even in there smallest model.....

Z

zoolander

I just bought a 4 inch vortex for my DR 80 and this thing is loud. I also run 2 six inch and this 4 is up their in the noise department

U

UBER21

zoolander said:
I just bought a 4 inch vortex for my DR 80 and this thing is loud. I also run 2 six inch and this 4 is up their in the noise department

Yeah zoo thats my thoughts exact......the 4in is freaking loud.....I like the whispers but I cant find a sketch on how to properly connect a regular carbon scrubber with ducting to it......

Z

zoolander

I run this 1 Uber with no ducting since its just for my clones once they root and it dumps into the area of veg and then is sucked out by the 2 six inch between veg and flower and the only light in the DR 80 is a 24inch 2 bulb t5 so not much heat

T

texsativa

UBER21 said:
Yeah zoo thats my thoughts exact......the 4in is freaking loud.....I like the whispers but I cant find a sketch on how to properly connect a regular carbon scrubber with ducting to it......

The fan is not loud at all, no vibrations, nothing. But the air it pushes certainly is not quiet. But with the proper set up, I think the vortex would be the quiest, most powerful fan there is.

Z

zoolander

Yeah it is the air blowin outta this thing, It moves some air fast

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
texsativa said:
Only cuz they're not pushing as much air as the Vortex.
The question isn't airflow, the question is noise. The answer is the Vortex is much louder than the Elicent.

T

texsativa

FreezerBoy said:
The question isn't airflow, the question is noise. The answer is the Vortex is much louder than the Elicent.

No offense, but sell that to someone else, I'm not buying.

U

UBER21

FreezerBoy said:

My thoughts exactly Freezer B....... I will look into the Elicent.......the vortex itself isnt loud per-say but the air movement is deff loud so its still a noise problem...... :joint:

FreezerBoy

Veteran
texsativa said:
No offense, but sell that to someone else, I'm not buying.
None taken because I'm not selling anything. I'm just saying what Vortex says, that their fans are 5-10 dB louder than Elicent. If you don't want to believe Vortex, fine by me.

Mr Micro - Well, I'm waiting to see what you think of the S&P. I've been considering the same model myself, but due to artistic poverty & flowering girls I had to build one myself with a 4" 120mm 120v Pabst 105cfm fan I already had lying around. It's working great so far but is just a bit noisy for me.

T

texsativa

FreezerBoy said:
None taken because I'm not selling anything. I'm just saying what Vortex says, that their fans are 5-10 dB louder than Elicent. If you don't want to believe Vortex, fine by me.

Oh I don't doubt they are louder, but they also push more air. If you break it down efficient wise, loudness per volume of air moved, I believe Vortex is the best.

Mr_Micro

Hey smoketrichs!
Still waiting on the fan to arrive, should be here on tuesday so in 3 more days I'll know whats up with it :smoke:

Now I'm just hoping my Speedster type router speed controller I have on the way for it doesn't make it hum. It seems some fan/controller combos (regardless of if they are solid state or not) will hum and some won't, so I'll just have to wait and see how mine works out.
If it does hum than I'll have to look into a new type of controller, since a humming fan is really unacceptable in my situation. It's bad enough that the ballast on my Floralux 150w HPS hums as loud as it does, I don't need a fan making my noise problems any worse.

But anyhoo, the fan will be here in 3 days so I'll be sure to letcha know how it works once it arrives!

FreezerBoy

Veteran
This may be voodoo nonsense but, it happened. I never noticed a hum from the speedster until I played with my isolation box one day and after, it started to hum. I re-opened the box, saw the fan was not sitting squarely, squared it up and the hum went away.

I've also read reports that Speedsters and timers don't play well together. If a timer turns off a fan set at less than full speed, the fan will hum when turned back on until you increase the speed to full and then dial it back down.

Latest posts

Latest posts