What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Johnny Blaze grow retrospective

#9Dream

Like following a grow but find it a bummer to have to wait 3 months for it to finish? Have I got a grow for you. This diary is of a grow I finished a couple weeks ago. I took about a thousand pictures during the grow from germination to harvest. I plan on posting a weeks worth of the best pictures every day or two, so this diary should be finished in 2-3 weeks. Just so you know what your waiting for, here is a picture taken on harvest day:

The strain is Legends Johnny Blaze although I didn't know that from the start. This is from a pack of their "Mountain Mix" so it may be an experimental relative of Johnny Blaze, but the description of the plant & the flavor is spot on. I have a detailed log of PH/TDS readings and what additives I used so I will report them also as I go. I also grew a clone of the Johnny Blaze and a Big Bang but they had some issues, so I will mainly highlight the plant above.

Lets begin.
I used the paper towel method to germinate, then transfered them to cups with pearlite & vermiculite in a drip system. 10 min drip every 3 hours.

After 4 or 5 days they are big enough to go into the DWC made from a rubbermaid container with plugs made from a garden kneeling mat.

These next 2 pictures are 24 hours apart:

The only additive I used at this point was some rhizotonic and PH down to keep the PH near 5.8

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
Damn... I got excited... No.9Dream, there is no Neville's Haze in the mountain mix. From what I understand, the mix is Red Eyed Bride, Soulshine, Biker Bob, SOL Sweet Skunk, California Orange, UK Cheese, SOL Grapefruit, DJ Short Blueberry and Flo crossed w/ a flo dad. I can't wait to see the pics though. I am growing Johnny Blaze right now and I hope my plants end up looking like yours!

#9Dream

Wow, what a shock! I was sure it was JB. Green citrus with woody undertones and it showing blueberry at the end, it was the only strain that fit until you mentioned DJ blueberry X Flo. Was it a reliable source that said there was no JB in the mountain mix?

#9Dream

The quote on legendseeds.com states "Some genetics used include the Red Eyed Bride, Soulshine, Biker Bob, SOL Sweet Skunk, California Orange, UK Cheese, SOL Grapefruit, DJ Short Blueberry and Flo. What you can expect are top notch genetics at a rock bottom price, and some lovely full melt Hashish."
I read that as there is the possibility that this is Johnny Blaze. That is the problem with a mix, you never know what your gonna get.

#9Dream

Week 2

Week 2

Perhaps someone will see something that will help identify this strain. Maybe we will never know, but I do know it's one dynamite strain. Here is the progress in week 2:

At this point it started showing signs of necrosis, I believe this was caused by a cal/mag deficiency as I am using RO water. The TDS was 350 and I kept the PH near 5.8

2 days later..

Next week I will have details on the recirculating DWC/Biobucket system used in this grow.

B

Bigtimer7

NICE PICS!

Love the shots, nice plants!

I had to send rep at you :)

#9Dream

Week 3

Week 3

Thanks Bigtimer, I appreciate it.
They are growing fast, time to get the grow room ready.
I initially planned on using Blaze's recirculating DWC system, then I saw Big Tokes biobuckets and decided to combine them. The 5 gal buckets have a 3/4" drain with an ebb & flow screen. I used 8" netpots filled with lava rocks, topped off with some hydroton. The water level was kept 3-4" from the top of the bucket.

The water is supplied by a 185gph pump in the reservoir to a 1/2" feed line with 2 1/4" lines tapped off and fed to each bucket and hot melt glued to the inside. I know this probably doesn't measure up to Big Tokes gph standard, but it works. The other line in the bucket is to an air curtain.

Here is the reservoir, a tall style rubbermaid container that is automatically topped off by a 25 gal RO reservoir on the shelf above. It has an aquarium filter creating a waterfall and it's own air curtain. I used a 50/50 mix of RO and tap water.

Meanwhile here is how its progressing in the veg closet.

Now they are big enough to transplant into the biobuckets.
The large plant in the front turned out to be a male.
At this point the PH was 6.0 and TDS was 450.

#9Dream

Week 4

Week 4

I don't have many pictures this week as I went out of town for 6 days.

This was the last picture I took before switching to 12/12. PH went from 6.0 to 5.9 and TDS went from 650 to 400 while I was gone.

#9Dream

Week 5

Week 5

After less than 1 week in flower they almost doubled in size.

Here is an overview. The two plants in the front turned out male. I used the strip & bag the top method to collect pollen from the large triploid male.

Raised the nute level to 700 and the PH dropped to 5.6.
Still not showing any sign of flowers...

Here is a good shot from the side. Those lower branches produced well in the end.

Finally, a female pistil on day 12 of 12/12.

Any questions? Anyone?

#9Dream

Week 6

Week 6

This week PH rose from 5.6 to 5.9 and TDS fluctuated between 600 & 700. This is the week of fastest growth so far.

Pistils are popping out all over.

Time to harvest the male.

I didn't want to run 2 buckets empty so I started a clone. Because of the late start it ended up yielding only an ounce.

#9Dream

Week 7

Week 7

The fast growth continues in week 4 of flowering. PH started taking a dive to 5.3 as I raised the TDS to 800. I corrected the PH using up and by replacing a few gal with PH 7.8 tap water.

#9Dream

Week 8

Week 8

This week I kept the PH around 5.6 while I raised the TDS to 800. The sticky note on the mylar marks the height on Dec 27th.

Great roots on those plants!!! Looks like you had a nice harvest there....can't wait for more pics!! I've been struggling with roots issues the last 3 grows I also run a bio bucket setup.....Do you use GH nutes?? Any other additives?? Once again great job!!

#9Dream

Week 9

Week 9

Thanks for the questions H$T$! Yes I use GH nutes Lucas style. I gave them Grow & Superthrive during veg but only CalMag, Micro, Bloom and a little Floralicous Plus so far in flowering. Week 11 I started giving them Awesome Blossoms. The only water changes I did during the grow was to replace a gallon with tap water when the PH dropped below 5.7. During this week the PH dropped from 5.7 to 5.5 as I raised the TDS to 910. That would be the highest the nutes got cause in week 10 I started seeing some leaf curl.

Trichomes are looking good!

It was getting so tall I had to move my 400w light to the side.

Looking good!!! I think I'm gonna use your dripper idea for my mothers that I'll be starting soon. Thats a great yielding strain, how many watts did you run?? I hope you took clones!!!

Peace
H$T$

#9Dream

Thanks, yeah I like the pearlite drip method. It makes for a good transition between germination and DWC. The vermiculite helps hold water and I use it to shade the roots from the light. I used a 400w HPS in flower. After I moved the light to the side I got a 150w HPS to fill in the dark side in week 11. I yielded 11 ounces dry from the big plant alone.:jump: I did save 1 clone for another grow. It's going to have to wait though, I have other strains I want to try. Another tip I have to pass along is to carefully distribute the roots in the lavarocks so they can find their way out of the netpot easier. Here's a shot of a plant that I didn't distribute the roots as well compared to the big one.

#9Dream

Week 11a

Week 11a

From here on I took so many pictures that I'm going to post each week in two parts. This is the week I started adding Awesome Blossoms, I would of started sooner but I forgot I had it. The PH was kept between 5.5 and 5.6 and TDS in the high 700's.