What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Aero Cloner the EZ-Cloner Replica in 10 Easy Steps!

hogwild

After hearing the price of an ez cloner at my local hydro store...400+ Yikes! i decided to buy some of those nice rotary sprinkler heads that dont jam, they cost about 2 bucks a piece but i think they have better coverage than the ez clone ones... anyways long story short i built one of these bad boys and it was a little trouble to get the clones to take root quickly.... after a little rhizotonic, a slight of hydroguard and some pbp grow the clones started to root rather rapidly. Thanks for such an informative thread... and to those of you who were considering making one of these... go for it! they are the best.

NorCal

Veteran
built me one of these and so far everythings going great, havent ph'd the water yet (its r/o water) and havent even given nutrients yet but the roots are taking off and sticking out of the pots already,your tutorial may have changed my life as far a growing goes, thanx for spreading the wealth of knowledge...

dirtybudz

NUTES?

NUTES?

Someone asked earlier about solutions.
What are y'all running in these cloners?

Can you just run water?

I don't have safe access to "fancy" hydro nutes. Any substitutions?

Anyone ever use a remote res and a "thinner" container to house the clones such as a 6-8" under bed storage container?

I'd like to layer a design like that in a cab to maximize space(e.g. one res, a strong pump to feed say two or three thin bins in a locked cab).

I use a bubbler cloner and the only thing I add to my r/o water is 1 drop superthrive per gal with plenty of aeration and a submersible heater set at 74 degrees

I dont need great number of clones so the small bubbler setup works fine for me, however I see if you need numbers of clones an aero system would be more suitable. I get clones in 7-10 days.

G

hydroducky
ive been away sorry

theres about 5 gallons of water and the spray heads are about halfway up,
ive been using dip and grow because when i used no solution they didnt root quite as fast
or as consistently, but still got 100 percent, i leave it under a 2 foot striplight 24 7
im thinking about building one more and making a thread for it so keep your eyes peeled
thanks for the compliment
peace

kindroyale

my q is this:

can a 175gph pump be used for a small setup? i'm talking about a ten gallon rubbermaid, twenty sites max...

G

kindroyale said:
my q is this:

can a 175gph pump be used for a small setup? i'm talking about a ten gallon rubbermaid, twenty sites max...

Im pretty sure you could. If KR is using a 350 for 35 sites, im sure you would be able to use 10-20 sites :joint:

Anyone ever build a large one of these, like a 260 site version?

biggest I have seen is fuzygrowth's, and that is a 120 w/ two pumps :joint:

Last edited:

kindroyale

it didn't; my pvc was only 3/4, i don't think i had the room to build up pressure. i'll try again when i can afford more pipes and a bigger pump.

thanx indisat!

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
:rasta:

I believe that most folks do go 24x7. However there is a school of thought that says: 24x7 for the first three days or till you see white nubs forming, then switch over to 15 minutes on 45 minutes off till you have the root mass you desire.

My plan is constantly on. I see no benefit in cycling the system.

(Edit 3/6/07) Well here's what I got done so far. Sprayers, Manifold & Pump assembled and tested. Still left to do: the lid w/pucks. Although this thing is leaking like an old Harley around the top, so I'll have to work on a solution. Any ideas, let me know.

Last edited:

Strike99

Pipedream said:

I believe that most folks do go 24x7. However there is a school of thought that says: 24x7 for the first three days or till you see white nubs forming, then switch over to 15 minutes on 45 minutes off till you have the root mass you desire.

My plan is constantly on. I see no benefit in cycling the system.

(Edit 3/6/07) Well here's what I got done so far. Sprayers, Manifold & Pump assembled and tested. Still left to do: the lid w/pucks. Although this thing is leaking like an old Harley around the top, so I'll have to work on a solution. Any ideas, let me know.

Perhaps some weather stripping around the top? might help a bit....

joselima23

I got two questions about this setup.

1. I have a sump pump that I use to drain my nute into the wash room. Its like a 1200GPH pump I got from the depot. Is that to powerfull for this setup???

2. This may have been answered earlier in the thread but can has anyone tried this with a 5 gallon paint bucket? They are airtight anyways. It may stop the leaking problem.

Pipedream

Veteran
Well, I'm finally up and running. Now I just need some clones to give it a go. If I can't come up with a suitable source, I'll start my own "Mom" in the next week or so. Now that its all together, I gave it a two-hour run and found no leaks. I did two things that helped. First, I lowerend the manifold a good bit. This worked well as now only a very fine gentle mist is hitting the bottom of the pucks. And second, I now exit the cord & airhose thru the side wall instead of from under the top. Here are some pic's of the finished project along with one or two showing the construction process.

joselima23 - 1200GPH may blow your top off and/or destroy your manifold/misters. I'm only running 500GPH thru 12 misters and I wouldn't want more. As far as the Paint-Bucket goes, they work well and there are even a few commercially produced units that use them.

Here's something I thought you all might enjoy.... It's an old ad for the original EZ Clone. Funny, but it looks exactly like those built from Ralph's info. Of course this ad was before they went with the newly shaped tub. They had to change the shape, because if they kept using the old one, everyone would know they could just build them by themselves. DUH!

Last edited:

Greenjag

Excellent thread! Will shortly build one of these.

Question: Will the rooted clones transplant to a clay pebble medium ok? Seems to me that there'll be a lot of damage to the roots if pebbles are piled on top of them when they're secured in the medium.

Sorry if I didn't notice previous info on this earlier in the thread, pretty sure I've read it all.

Pipedream

Veteran
Greenjag - That's exactly how I've grown them for years. No problems at all. Check out the link in my signature for additional info.

KingRalph

glad to see it workin for everyone.

greenjac, yes quite easy going to hydroton rocks, just make sure they have well established roots and be gentle.

nice show pipedream, that's a great old ad ya found, quite funny :)

note to everyone: remember to refresh with a cap or two of bleach each time and a couple rinses. peace n green thumbs all!

rasta

could i do like 3 full grown plants in a scrog with this system? im completly clueless to how this shit works, but ive had my eye nn an aero grow on another forum that is going crazy good. and my soil organic grow is. well just not working out the way id like it to be. so i was thinkin of doing an aero grow for the next time around. what do u guys think? will this system fit my needs?

Pipedream

Veteran
rasta - Yes there are plenty of growers that use this type of system for the full grow cycle. Obviously they are using nutrients and not plain distilled water, and those systems don't have so many plants in such a confined area, but other than that the technology is basically the same. Do a search for "Aeroponic" or "TAG" in the title and you should find some.

Latest posts

Latest posts