What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bovedas 62% giving weird taste to my weed

PDX Dopesmoker

Most growers these days have a flexible reality. Placebo effect rules their daily lives, not reality. Broveda ruins flavor and it's very obvious to real humans with a firm reality.

I see the junk recommended so much, like, damn how can you think it's an improvement or remotely necessary.. Does anyone understand dank anymore? In my experience it turned a delicious UK Cheese into some tasteless vinegary smelling airy poop overnight.

I thought it was just dispensaries growing bullshit these days but looking online it seems everyone has lost the concept of loud sticky delicious dank. Moisture content for a slow burn has become more important than resin content.

Same people who keep their bud with broveda packs use Terpenez for that fake e-cig scent and call it an improvement rather than a ruined tainted harvest. Really shows what kind of garbage they are growing.

Sorry but your growing some really bad product if you use Broveda. Probably hydroponic and pretending moisture content is resin content. They even sell these stupid moisture packs at dispensaries now and people claim it turns dry tasteless unflushed crumble weed into loud sticky dank. Flexible reality of placebo people. Pretty scary honestly. Its ruined quality standards in the southwest.

Like damn, how did we ever even smoke weed before Broveda came along to show us all how we were doing everything all wrong? Just the other day I some poor retarded chump in Rolls Royce pulled up next to me at a stop light as I was driving home from the country club and asked me I had a Boveda to spare. I called the cops on that scalawag! Boveda usage is required by the homeowners association in my neck of the woods.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
All I know is cigar people have been using bovedas for a while now to keep their cigars in check and if it was doing anything to the taste they would be pretty vocal about it I think, considering how expensive of a habit that is. Unless people are doing blind taste tests of the same batch of weed just cured with a packet and without there isn't any real way to know though. I applaud anybody who does this, I don't have enough experience in the curing department to guarantee the boveda is the only variable changed.

THC123

Veteran
Well I did a few side by sides and I have experience in the curing dept. I did the side by side with the caliber and one with boveda.

Boveda was smoother but the taste and smells were off.

I will still keep fucking around with them as like you said cigar people also use them. Maybe I will find a way for them not to fuck up the weed.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Well I did a few side by sides and I have experience in the curing dept. I did the side by side with the caliber and one with boveda.

Boveda was smoother but the taste and smells were off.

I will still keep fucking around with them as like you said cigar people also use them. Maybe I will find a way for them not to fuck up the weed.
Well, it's just a humidity control device. And the "smells" of weed are, from my understanding, aromatic oils that are, for the most part, non water soluble. So it should not possible for the boveda to remove smells. Even if the boveda was somehow trapping the smells, that would make the boveda itself smell, and I have never had one that smelled after a curing session. I feel like something else is going on here besides the bovedas, but I cannot put my thumb on it. Mason jars are not air tight unless you are boiling them, they aren't a closed environment, so over time they will lose humidity. With the boveda the jar will leak humidity, but slowly be replaced by the boveda till it's out of water itself. Maybe the weed doesn't "like" being held at the same humidity for long period of time and somehow an ever shrinking humidity is best? I feel like not enough hard science and experimentation has been done with weed curing, it's a lot of he said/she said and people just doing what people have always done, but not really questioning why. Oh and if you are curing both side by side like that, let somebody test them without telling them which is which. Do a blind taste test, it's the only way to really be sure. The human subconscious makes the majority of our decisions and our conscious mind just rationalizes those choices. Have to try and trick it to really get good answers.

PDX Dopesmoker

What if the hydration cycle in the container is depositing water soluble ammonium chloride from the pack into the product? Cigar folks wouldn't notice the expectorant effect of the ammonium chloride. Plus cigar folks are the same people who put 92 octane in their Caddies on the way to the country club.

BudToaster

Veteran
Hi,
… But the weed has a weird and bitter aftertaste, this is not something I am used to. There is no mold and the cannabis is nice and dry (but not too dry). … Could bovedas be causing this? …

Anyone have had the same experience?

i tried some boveda 62% in a jar of herb. after i vaped some of the herb, there was a white film on the inside of the glass vial that holds the herb in my vaporizer. this was so strange that i noticed it.

i never saw or see this with herb that doesn't have boveda. i thought it looked like a salt/alkaline film. i didn't try to analyze the film and just stopped using the boveda packs.

THC123

Veteran
I did a new side by side. Both jars are at 62% with the same clone strain.

The one in boveda again loses taste and smell wise and again, something is off. A weird aftertaste on the tongue and cheecks. Something I am not used to tasting with weed, not even schwag.

I am going to repeat the experiment with integra packs but for me it is clear now after many side by side: boveda ruins the quality, flavor and general experience for cannabis for me.

Again the ones in boveda smoke smoother, real smooth, but the weird unusual taste just puts me off, it is disgusting. The smell becomes bland. No fucking way I am using boveda packs again. I threw the whole jar away, I won't even make concentrates or edibles with it.

It is 100% clear that boveda is the cause, this is not my first side by side with them, I just couldn't believe that the BP could cause this. But I did nothing wrong and the jar without boveda is excellent!

That being said, I still like the concept and I will experiment with other brands.

It is clear that humidity packs can produce a smoother smoke. But I also want taste and smells, I wanna feel like I am smoking real weed not some weird chemical shit.

I really can't believe so many people use boveda's? DO you people even know what real quality is? Ok that sounded rude and my apologies but damn this is the 5th time boveda fucks up a jar. I never had good results with bovedas, just smooth but that's it. They just give a particular smell and taste to the cannabis that is unnatural.

For me boveda gets 2 thumbs down and both my big toes!!! The result I get using calibers and a jar are incomparable and so much better and DANK. I want to taste the smell, if I can't taste the smell with a smooth smoke then I just don' like the weed. Bovedas fuck this part up for me, I don't taste the smell of my weed anymore with those packs. I do taste it perfectly in the jar with caliber or even with weed stored in the freezer.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Ive found that if you oversize them you can have issues and if you have any trace of Mold/Fungus in your weed even if you think its not there... it can result in the flavor going south...

Used the right way they can be quite helpful... 60 gram packet for a pound takes over a week to even begin to do its thing... by day 10-12 is when the magic happens

THC123

Veteran
I desinfected both jars by cooking them and also I used ethanol. Both jars contain the same weed. Both are at 62%. Both have been curing for 6 weeks.

The one without boveda tastes and smells like it should, dank and with a taste like smell.

The one with boveda smoked a bit smoother but it smells generic, something is off and it tastes weird and I dont taste the smell. My friends couldnt believe it was the same weed in those jars after a test

For me it is clear

Iowa Grown

I have never understood the point of using humidity packs. If you slowly get your bud in your jars down to 3% higher than what you want, and for 72 to hours there is no humidity fluctuations in that jar, pull a vacuum on the jar until it reads the humidity you are aiming for, that usually takes my vacuum pump 2 to 2 1/2 hours to do, then store those jars in a dark place where the temp never gets higher than the humidity in the jar. I have some very bad OCD's, so much so, that I built a good size Styrofoam box using the same idea that koolatron coolers use, that I keep all my jars in, and it constantly keeps the temp and humidity in that box at 63F/% where I like my flower. Then when it comes out of the jar, it smells and tastes the best it will every be no matter how long I store it. No regurgitating nastiness is ever added, and me likes that! For long term storage, I store 1/4 pounds jars, but all my short term storage jars are 1/4, 1/2, and 1 zip jars, so the humidity never falls in those jars below 60% by the time I use whatever was in those jars!

Latest posts

Latest posts