What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary of a hot White Rhino. 250w CFL DWC

-TheShortTexan-

Well I was planning on throwing some pics up here tonight but I had to get outta the grow room fast as company came over. Lights go off at 7 so I'll have to get them up here tomorrow. It probably is the PH. I need to invest in a good pH meter. I cheaped out but I see why people go ahead and drop 100$ on a good meter and calibration solution. Anyways lesson learned...
They have DEFINITELY stretched. Already almost twice as tall.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Ph meters are a lot cheaper than yrs ago. The meter I had 10yrs ago was 80$-$90 and I bought one on amazon just like the ones I used to have for like $15. It's good enough to get me through this season until I can get a better one. I'd recommend it really and it comes with cal solution to start. It's a derwoneer automatic cal....not the greatest but it'll get you threw flower easy. If you can get a good pic of your leaves. If your ph was outta wack bad before it's not gonna change the old leaves. If I see a pic I can probably help you out better. But that flush helped I'm sure.....if your ph is around 6 just give it time and keep a good NPK going...dyna gro 7-9-5 something like that would be good as early into flowering as you are. I'm using tiger bloom 2-8-4 along with a lot of other stuff. The old leaves aren't gonna change your focus on new growth. You might should remove the lower damaged stuff....at least the worse looking ones. Sometimes it takes a few wks once that ph is off and you get it right until you really really notice

-TheShortTexan-

I have the Pancellant model ph tds meters and they're getting me by but I don't think they're perfect at all. They were definitely cheap but I'm thinking I'll use soil for my next run. I'm really interested in Ocean forest if I can find it. Happy frog ic I can't find OF. fox farms has excellent results from what I can see

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I have the Pancellant model ph tds meters and they're getting me by but I don't think they're perfect at all. They were definitely cheap but I'm thinking I'll use soil for my next run. I'm really interested in Ocean forest if I can find it. Happy frog ic I can't find OF. fox farms has excellent results from what I can see

I've had tons of successful indoor grows with Ocean Forest.....it's my choice over any soil. I was getting around 14oz of dry trimmed bud in 5gal buckets of ocean Forest. Got around 14oz from Rez SSCDH and 12-14oz from Chem x OG(SFV) from kryptonite seeds. Some big yields from Paradise Sensi Star. Just can rave about ocean Forest and also happy frog. There's minimal things you really need to add. Maybe dolomite, extra perlite, extra casting, some type mycorrizhia if you want. A bit more or less either way will grow some fine weed. If you grow in soil and use distilled water/ ph your nutes.....it's a great idea. I think you'd do well with it

-TheShortTexan-

I've had tons of successful indoor grows with Ocean Forest.....it's my choice over any soil. I was getting around 14oz of dry trimmed bud in 5gal buckets of ocean Forest. Got around 14oz from Rez SSCDH and 12-14oz from Chem x OG(SFV) from kryptonite seeds. Some big yields from Paradise Sensi Star. Just can rave about ocean Forest and also happy frog. There's minimal things you really need to add. Maybe dolomite, extra perlite, extra casting, some type mycorrizhia if you want. A bit more or less either way will grow some fine weed. If you grow in soil and use distilled water/ ph your nutes.....it's a great idea. I think you'd do well with it

I'm seriously thinking about going that route. What kind/watt light were you running?

I really enjoy FoxFarm products. They are affordable and easily amendable. I even found some at a home depot in east texas. My best outdoor ever came from ff soil mixes and a handful of dry amendments i could find out there.

I still use ff soils. But now i use bio live as my main dry ingredient. Loam it up with some perlite and then i use the general organics grow formula and am trying tappin roots for the first time. I really liked the ingredient mix and the npk ratio so i figured id give it a shot.

Your plants look fat bro. Have you looked into a cmh fixture? Less heat than hps and way brighter.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Well I had a few large rooms. Had a 15 x 15 10ft ceiling . I had several 1000watts, 5-6 600watt galaxy, a couple 430 hps sun-Argo ballast....and at least 6-7 400 watters. All were sunlight supply. And sunlight supply air cooled reflectors. I left this stuff in a storage shed along with tons of inline fans / nutes/ hydro table. I lost it in my divorce. Prolly 15k worth of stuff. I'm gonna try to get me a 600hps/Mh setup before winter maybe. I had a 15x15 I grew in soil 5gal buckets and about a 8x8 or maybe a lil bigger I ran clones in a hydro table...and a 5x5 mom room

Yes I've used all Fox Farm products the past 15yrd or so and really had great results with them. I've used about ever brand out there over the yrs but always come back to FF

HASHCAM

I think its always best to have a couple of ph meter, I am not sure they have to be expensive, really its down to your budget.

I think, you always need to make sure you got back up or spare part, for you ph meter

Good luck with everything

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I think its always best to have a couple of ph meter, I am not sure they have to be expensive, really its down to your budget.

I think, you always need to make sure you got back up or spare part, for you ph meter

Good luck with everything

Lol that's funny....I spent half the afternoon screwing with my cheap meter. I left it in my water bucket upside down. There's a dap of water in there that get the top and batteries wet. But I said to myself yesterday evening you need a extra meter on hand. And some batteries for that matter. But I took the top off and batteries out and wiped it off and let it dry some and it's working. I'm gonna grab some new batteries today

-TheShortTexan-

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I HAVE to get in the grow room and get some pics up here today. I also got x4 15 watt screw in leds to suppliment with some more light. And an led panels to hanget as well. Gonna try and flood these babies with whatever lumens I can. It's gonna be a ghetto rig looking kind of lighting but I wanna get as much out of it as I can. Will look into getting a more professional light later. I saw one on amazon that was a 250/400 watt hps with the ballast built in. That's gonna run hot. But I'm thinking what I could do was use it in the winter time only to help keep the temp of the grow room up. Maybe run soil so as to not have to worry about root temps getting cold in december. Gonna recalibrate my pH meter today and TRY to stay on top of that from now on. Lot of work to do before the lights go out later!:biggrin:

Good info right there. I need to get into the nutrient threads and read how to calculate my N-P-K amounts from the amount of GH nutrients I'm using. The "transition" stage of nutes is evenly balanced. It's 2tsp of each (grow, micro, and bloom) per gallon. Then it steps it up towards more flowering based formulas and less grow. There's still nitrogen in there. But I'm not sure how much. I'm bothered by the plant on the right. It's considerably smaller than the one on the left. But it struggled from the beginning. And the light is also unevenly balanced being a cfl. I need a new light desperately.

My small AK48 girl became my big AK 48 girl a couple weeks after the flip. She literally tripled in size, all sorts of new branches and offshoots.

-TheShortTexan-

Good to hear! I'm thinking it also has something to do with uneven lighting. This big cfl doesn't give off even amounts of light. But I'm gonna leave the smaller plant anyways. There's 3 or 4 stalks on it that will make some nice buds. The larger one has some serious potential. I'm ready. No pistils showing as of yesterday. Today is day 5 after the flip, so I'm hoping to see some start appearing soon.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Yea Texan I saw that 250/400hps built in sunlight supply. That would be nice for me or you. I'd like to have that like with your tent.

Like this one guys saying about that ak48 turning into a BIG plant....I wouldn't be surprised to see your ladies triple in size. I'd say sometime next wk those will start to grow like crazy friend= good for you!!!!

-TheShortTexan-

The stretch is on...

Got in the grow room on time today. Realized I had mixed my nutes wrong yesterday. Was terrified I'd return to see them burnt. But they looked just the same luckily, so I emptied about a gallon out from the res and put about 2 gal of RO water in to be safe. I'm gonna get this crap right someday...

Here's a look at where we are so far...
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

-TheShortTexan-

We definitely needed a trim...
That undergrowth was pretty wild so I gave her the first and probably only defoliation. Took every big fan leaf except the top set. Now she looks sad... but I'm sure she will perk up soon.

This is the leaf discoloring I was dealing with.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

-TheShortTexan-

At first I thought it was nute burn, but the tips of the larger leaves, and for the most part smaller leaves, are all fine. And the new growth doesn't seem discolored

-TheShortTexan-

Nope. I'm at about 3/4 strength. My water was crap though so I switched to RO water and things got a lot better. With tap water I was chasing pH around all the time so I assumed that's what it was.

Nope. I'm at about 3/4 strength. My water was crap though so I switched to RO water and things got a lot better. With tap water I was chasing pH around all the time so I assumed that's what it was.

I was afraid of having to do that, which is why I went Coco / Perlite for my first grow. My tap with GH Nutes is pretty stable. Only thing I'd do differently next time is more coco / less perlite, probably a 90 / 10 mix.

-TheShortTexan-

I'm seriously thinking coco or fox farms soil. I can't decide but ive still got 7 weeks at least with this grow

Last edited: