What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Front End Vibration...

JointOperation

ok.. so after a long winter.. and a few years of neglect and only doing oil changes and pads and running some crappy tires..

we decided to get everything in order with our car...

we have had new tires(they were ready for replacement)...

new left and right front axles.. (had the left replaced because of clicking.. and then after we left.. noticed the right one was also slightly clicking. so we went back had that replaced right away..)

new front rotors and pads...(it was time)

new rear drums and shoes and wheel bearing hub assembly on both sides... everything was pretty rusty.. all was factory.. and we got like 120k on this car..(the drums were rusty and making noise with the rear pads.. so we changed that.. the wheel bearings were done because they were growling like a fucking jet engine.

did an oil change.... and when they did tires they balanced and aligned it..

since the car was my girls.. it was neglected by her.. never was told anything was going on with it until I noticed shit myself lol..

so had all this work done..

and I took it for a drive the other day.. and its slightly vibrating at all speeds.. but mainly feel it at highway speeds..

also seems to pull a tiny bit to the right.. I didn't get to drive it much so im not sure if I would of turned left... if it would of maybe started to pull left also.. but I didn't have the chance..

any ideas as to what it could be....

rims? steel rims? one of the dudes I took it to .. a friend of mine.. said that the rims had very small imperfections on each rim.. up here in the northeast.. its tough to keep rims nice and round with all the fucking pot holes..

basically. everything I have replaced on this car.. NEEDED TO BE replaced.. as I had a few buddies over that both were mechanics.. and they both helped eachother get the work done at a cheap labor price.. and I bought all the parts myself..

if anyone has any ideas..

they say there is no play they can feel in any of the wheels.. they checked out the entire front end... and rear...

they both said the same thing.. grab new rims and see if it happens. but I have been hearing a slight growl.. I think it might be the front wheel bearings . but im not a mechanic. nor am I really mechanically enclined.. I do the work I can do but anything more I leave to my buddy.

DemonTrich

Veteran
if the steering pulls, the alignment can be off. even if its been aligned recently, no one is perfect. and could need to be rechecked.

vibrations, you feel it in the steering wheel, upon braking, cornering?
upon braking possible bad warped rotors
in the steering wheel possibly a bubble in the side wall of the tire (NOT good, and really unsafe
calipers can be hanging up (piston not reseating in the caliper when the pedal is released) another pulling issue
bad brake lines--swelling in old brake lines causing the caliper not to reseat causing a slight drag, causing a pull to one side. pulling issue

Michigan roads or HORRIBLE. their not roads, its pot hold dodging at best. I used to run steelies (im cheap), and would get some dings on the lips. only bad this is loosing a bit of air if not too serious. balancing shouldn't be an issue unless the ding is severe

Last edited:

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
tumblr_m30ehyqo9a1qfpyj01.gif

JointOperation

Put the rear tires on the front and see if it changes...

did it.. same thing..

if the steering pulls, the alignment can be off. even if its been aligned recently, no one is perfect. and could need to be rechecked.

vibrations, you feel it in the steering wheel, upon braking, cornering?
upon braking possible bad warped rotors
in the steering wheel possibly a bubble in the side wall of the tire (NOT good, and really unsafe
calipers can be hanging up (piston not reseating in the caliper when the pedal is released) another pulling issue
bad brake lines--swelling in old brake lines causing the caliper not to reseat causing a slight drag, causing a pull to one side. pulling issue

Michigan roads or HORRIBLE. their not roads, its pot hold dodging at best. I used to run steelies (im cheap), and would get some dings on the lips. only bad this is loosing a bit of air if not too serious. balancing shouldn't be an issue unless the ding is severe

had everything checked and its all fine.. rotors were just replaced.. brakes were done.. everything..

its not like a crazy vibration either. its just a very slight vibration but gets more noticeable around 55-65.. new tires new parts everywere..

u joints I gotta look .

EsterEssence

Veteran
Jack it up and roll or put it in gear and spin the tires and see if you have a badly bent rim. I assume it is a front wheel drive, could be a defective axle cv joint. Did you put new front wheel bearings? Was the nut on the wheel end of the axle tightened with an impact?

Twist

The mechanic could've over tighten the lug nuts. And worped the rotors by over tightening. They need to be torque with the torque wrench.

DJXX

Veteran
have your hub bearings checked....you have everything else replaced in the front...what is the year make and model of the car..DJXX

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
tie rods,,, ball joints????..yeehaw..don't ever assume new means good or some mechanic did it right..assuming all is well there then aint much left

SocalNugz

+1 on the universal joints.
When they go they do exactly what you describe, id check the rear ones since ur feeling the vibes under power if its rear wheel drive front if its a front wheel drive.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
+1 on the universal joints.
When they go they do exactly what you describe, id check the rear ones since ur feeling the vibes under power if its rear wheel drive front if its a front wheel drive.
Additionally it sounds like that's the only think you haven't tried.

This is old, hopefully it got figured out as vibrations usually transfer odd wear patterns onto the tire that snowball NVH complaints.

There is so many possible issues that it is impossible to narrow it down with out a proper diagnosis by a good tech, but I will throw this out there. Always KISS with car shit- OP should check the tire pressure! every.... single........ fucking........ time I've gotten new tires they NEVER inflate them properly.

Assuming you're not hauling a few hundred pounds in the trunk, you always want to put the pressure listed on the tag, often found in the door jamb, glove box, or console. Never use the 'max pressure' listed on the tire for normal driving.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Have you simply lost some tyre balance weights ? The little bits of lead the tyre fitter puts on your wheel ? This causes exactly the vibration you describe and a newly balanced tyre can go out of balance with just one scrape during parking.

Also have the tracking checked while you are there, both simple and cheap

check your upper control arms they cause this problem at highway speeds, but goes away at slower speeds. If it pulls to the right check the right side first, but replace both sides uppers and lowers. tire wear should be not normal as well

namaste

Latest posts

Latest posts