What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Post strange car problems!

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I will figure it out soon ..my diagnostic stuff Is on the way ..the product cables elm327 or whatever got delayed at customs from china,,,the software from austrailia is on its way too....I will start tossing parts at the problem if that don't help...its a weird issue and I accept the challenge...now I will be able to reprogram/remap my computer...over the period of a year or more I am gonna buy all the stuff. and turn my computer into an oscilloscope also with hookups..program keyfobs,remotes and such too...yeehaw...then I will be ready for FAST on an old school upgrade I been planning...looking at an old chevy truck for like 2500$$ with an extra motor... as for the problem I am gonna look at the injector and prob replace em all with better newer ones...spark related issues have been checked and re checked..and if the fuel pump was bad it would affect more than one cylinder,,,but there is a Schrader valve and I am gonna check anyhow

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
I got one...if my cars sits for 3 days in a row ..upon starting it stumbles and miss fires then smoothes out after several minutes....if I start it before 3 days sitting all is fine...checked everything I could think of....screeming demon coil,live wires and platinum plugs...all fine... I am getting diagnostic software for my laptop and cable to see what I can come up with...it only made a code once misfire cyl#1.....
might be some water/condensation in your fuel. put some "HEET" gasoline dryer in that tank. it's pretty cheap. worth a try anyway.

blastfrompast

Veteran
407k miles???? damn blast that's a shitload...I think your engine wants to move to florida and retire ....lol...

Just hit 421,000km on the old girl.

Problem was the Mass airflow sensor...Needed cleaning. Turns out that if you change the air filter yourself and don't clean your sensor at the same time...eventually your car starts to develop gremlins.

Gave it a few good blasts with the appropriate cleaner and put 13k more on it before buying a Cruz (save on gas money).

Old betsy is still insured and starts on the first try now.

I took a picture when she hit 420k :)

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
if mine ever made it that long I would have to hot box it...good luck on getting most cars to last that long..very few do..by the time most hit even half that their repairs exceeds the value of ride with the repairs needed,,...with my software I will be able to track and record all sensor values so I can spot issues......yeehaw also 0 to 60 times and a whole shitload of other stuff

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
my gas should be fine fresh gas from reliable source and if that was the issue it would affect several cylinders I would think...I will double check tho..thanks... only number 1 cyl has the issue upon starting after 3 days sitting... luckily I don't let car sit that long unless out wandering the mountains,camping ect..I just like things perfect

does the car smoke at start up?Could be leaky valve seals.After some combustion the plugs prob get cleaned up making it run better.Next time you let the car sit pull the spark plug and see if its wet!

grazerd

I've got a puzzling car problem that rears it's head from time to time... I've always meant to call Click 'n' Clack about it but never seem to get around to it:

Every now and again, particularly when the car (a Ford Escape essentially) has been sitting overnight - and it's a damp morning (I think that might be the key factor)... the gas pedal won't budge. It's a manual, and sometimes I'll manage to get going in first for a minute, shift into second, and that's when I just can't push down on the gas pedal. Eventually it stops doing it, but I've had it happen for quite awhile before. It might've been chance but I feel like, the last time it happened, it resolved somewhat after I put the car into neutral, and then into reverse and tried the gas, and then back into first again.

It's not a regular thing either - the first time it ever happened was back in 07 or 08, and then it happened every now and again for a year or two... then no problems at all until a few months ago. Admittedly I did move around during that time period, and the period when I had no problems was essentially all in the same place.

Sporadically sticky throttle body?

Jack87112

ICMag Donor
Hello, I have been listening and I just thought I would throw in you might check the fuel pressure? I have had vehicles that would only act up under heavy load at speed and it was the fuel pressure dropping.......Just a thought. Good luck

cough_cough_eer

Anita Bonghitt
Veteran
Umm..... Ill ask here

Umm..... Ill ask here

I have a strange car problem . I recently bought a 2000 chev. cavalier. I drove it for a few weeks and no problems. Now my neice is driving it, and now that its getting warmer, she turned the air on. When the air is on the feul and temp. gauges go on and off intermingling. The car seems to fun just fine. No other problems at all. It does it with the heat and defroster too. AS soon as I turn off the air/heat the gauges go right back to normal.

Is this something I need to be concerned about?

Green Squall

I went to get my spare tire not too long ago and found a huge mouse nest. The compartment was also covered in feces and urine. I'm still in shock, it was so disgusting.