What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Synthetic oil?

jimbojr

I have a 99 Accord and I couldn't downshift to 1st gear unless I was completely stopped. Changed the tranny fluid to Synchromesh and now It will shift into 1st gear at 15 mph...I couldn't believe the difference, it was like I put a new tranny in...The fluid I used was a Pennzoil product...$6 a quart and worth every penny......generic synchromesh...

I have a 98 dakota 4 cylinder when I got it it had ~ 72k miles, now has 145k miles I use synthetic and a qrt of Lucas oil stabilizer when i change oil ever 6 - 7k miles. It use to leak but not in about 40K miles. 18 to 22 mpg depending on how I drive.

yeahwhat

Amsoil all the way. Neighbor is a dealer. He runs the top-shelf stuff. Get this- 25k and the oil still lab tested to have approx 15-20k left (projected) He works for Dupont, so he has a friend test it. Changed the filter at 12k, and topped it off. That's worth 9 bucks a quart to me.

They also have a 100:1 mix two-stroke oil that you can run at that ratio in any engine. Smells great, burns clean. Even my 1953 Strunk chainsaw, spec'd at 8-10:1 (!) originally, loves the extra fuel that comes from a much leaner oil ratio.

ZDDP is critical in flat tappet engine, make sure it's in your oil if you have one. non-synthetic last I knew, but Rotella has ZDDP, and serious wear protection.

LostTribe

Premium user
Only run Mobil 1 on all my Rigs always have always will. If you go youtube you can see firsthand how synthetics have more protection search for royal purple test. They did some comparisons with bearings and different oils. BUT

DONT USE ROYAL PURPLES AT ALL....Mobil1

Blew my rear end with Royal Purps so dont think that stuff is any good at all....

Latest posts

Latest posts