What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Paludariums and Planted Aquariums

Or is it paludaria and aquaria?

Either way, I saw a mention of "aquascaping" in another thread and stumbled on a very unique art form.

It's actually not too far off from an indoor cannabis grow. Essentially, people keep plants underwater in tanks and optimize their environment to create some truly beautiful scenes.

A paludarium is a planted aquarium with an above water section as well.

It looks like a pretty expensive and technical hobby. But I think it looks pretty rewarding. I'm just starting to look into starting a beginner paludarium. I think it would be especially cool to have some poison dart frogs or a water snake in the enclosure.

Does anybody have any experience with these?

Here are some paludariums I found on google:

paludarium6.jpg

PALUDARIUM+2000+%28INNENANSICHT%29.JPG

P1040772.JPG

And planted aquariums:

1_IAPLC_2010_Photo.jpg

1_Syrah_Large.jpg

60lt_2009_PreviewFinalPicture_1a.jpg

Yeah, apparently a lot of those types of auascapes use shrimp to graze on algae. As you can imagine, with a lot of those tanks using 250W+ of metal halide, and nutes in the water for the plants, algae is a real concern.

There's so many amazing examples of this stuff. Especially on Youtube there are a lot of compilation vids of contest winners.

I just love the idea of having a little personal rainforest scene like some of these. I'd love to have a toking room with a seating area, maybe two paludariums, and a shit ton of ferns and other low light plants on blumats. Maybe have a big LED grow light like one of LED Girl's, or a 357 magnum on one of the paludariums to make the setting extra trippy.

TripleDraw27

Veteran
Great thread. Inspiring stuff for sure. And like shroomy said, i feel relaxed, and i can even hear the water trickling lol.

Im in process of building one of these tanks myself. I bought a shitload of goodies today for this exact thing. Will post in separte thread once I have everything lined up.

Oh man that's sick! Make sure to post up a link here when you do!

I'm thinking about doing something like this over the winter. Summer's just too hectic, but I'd really love to.

Are you thinking paludarium, or aquarium? Are you gonna toss any fauna in there? And if you're going to rock a paludarium, how are you going to do the division between land and water structurally?

Figured I'd toss up some more shots for those of you that liked these ones.

This one is neither a puldarium, nor a planted aquarium / aquascape. I'm just including it because its fucking awesome, and I have recurring dreams about shit like this.

kuroshio-black-current-sea-okinawa-churaumi-aquarium-massive.jpg

And now for some sick ass aquascapes.

CAPA2009.jpg

AGA-Aquascaping-Contest-Winner-best-in-show.jpg

aga-aquascaping-contest-winner-10.jpg

aga-aquascaping-contest-winner-8.jpg

4c34702d7b7be.jpg

Glacier_Valley_2.jpg

2_Fairy_Valley_by_Susana_Cheung_and_Dave_Chow_1.jpg

AQ-ADA-Singapore-Aquascaping-Contest_1st-place.jpg

Sunrise+on+the+river.jpg

And finally, a crazy avatar style aquarium.

362.jpg

Man this shit's crazy. Makes me wonder why I haven't seen this kind of thing in hotel lobbies, clubs, restaurants, and other places where people spend bank on decor.

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Paludarium from the Latin, Paludal- marsh or swamp. arium- enclosed. Just in case anyone was curious as to the derivation of the word. They are pretty freakin cool.

tr1ck_

I wanna see someone grow an autoflower in their paludrium ;)

Here are some pictures of my saltwater tanks. The first tank houses my mantis shrimp who sadly died of old age about a year ago. It now has a tesselata eel. The bubbler in the tank has an airpump hooked up to it so its constantly blowing "smoke" from the bowl :) Please forgive the low quality pictures, crappy camera + fast fish = REALLY hard to take good pictures.

picture.php

The other pictures are my larger tank which houses friendly non-agressive fish.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts