What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Quitting weed/Rolling Depression??

Big D

icmagic
Veteran
It is not wise for anyone that smokes herb(or uses any chemical, caffine, nicotine ect...) all day everyday to quit cold turkey. Unless of coarse you are an alcoholic or heavy drug user(heroin, cocaine something like that) which you should stop in rehab under a doctors care. Especially with herb you have to ween yourself! If you are indeed masking some problems with depression this could be very dangerous.

No matter what any ones tells you THC is a drug and with any drug it must be used responsibly.

I would suggest you smoke a bit :D And slowly smoke less and less.

one Q

Quality
Veteran
IT's crazy you came to say that. Lately when I smoke, i get all crazy emotional and feeling like life is wasting and Im not a good person for various reasons. So youre not the only one.

I have found that if i just take a few hits and not over do it I never get that crazy feeling.

whiterabbit9

Veteran
what happens to me now is

I smoke

and the next days I'm depressed/unwell

on the 5th day usually everything is okay

Herbasaurus said:
I tend to agree with Johnnyla.

If you are having these types of problems after 3-5 days than IMHO the marijuana may have been masking, or treating, these problems. There is a reason so many folks regard it as medicine.

THC has a half life of less than 72 hours which means more than half of the drug is out of your body in that time.
http://www.rxmed.com/b.main/b2.pharm...9/MARINOL.html
I guess I didn't do a good enough job convincing you I am not depressed. These symptoms only occur during withdraw and only for a couple weeks. So after process of elimination, that leaves me with just MJ causing these annoying temporary inflictions. But I did not know half the drug leaves you within only 72 hours. That must explain the intensity one feels right on hour one of sobriety. K+
lockehead said:
I dont get your question...
Basically I was just asking on how to deal with the horrid inevitable symptoms. I must agree to disagree with what you have said though. Exercising out of routine or sleeping at odd hours never holds me back. Or at the very most, a minuscule amount. In fact I couldn't sleep last night so I have been up for.. 30 hours or so and I feel the same as I did yesterday... But to be fair people are all different so I can see what you were saying can suffice to some.
gm421 said:
Is this a thread for hypochondriacs ??
Its all in your head:)
Crazies of all colors are welcome :)

So to deal with this: sleep take Melatonin, appetite keep the food healthy and eat omega 3s/vits, and excersize is key! Exercising took me by surprise, and I will absolutely jog today/next couple days and see how that helps. For the lonely issues I guess I will figure out a hobby to stay busy.

I completely agree that weening yourself off weed before quitting is the correct method to avoid most of this, but in some cases you must quit ASAP.

I knew I could count on you forums to produce results. I will literally put these into effect immediately.

Noobian

Green is Gold
Veteran
It's just your body's reaction to THC withdrawal...everyone has it. It's not too bad, like you said after a week or two you're back on track and back in the game!

Noobian

Green is Gold
Veteran
Another thing I notice is when I quit for a while I don't even want to smoke again, I have this take it or leave it attitude but after a few times blazing again I want to do it all the time, weird huh?

Oliver Pantsoff

Veteran
Damn, I thougt I was the only one that felt like not eating when I quit smoking for a lil while. It's like I can go all day w/o eating, and when I take a take a few bites, I'm not hungry anymore. I hate that sh&* for real!!! Does anyone have an answer for this. Seems like it's pretty common amongst us smokers. I guess the next time I quit, I'll make sure to pick up a 12 pack of ensure...lol

OP

Oliver Pantsoff said:
Damn, I thougt I was the only one that felt like not eating when I quit smoking for a lil while. It's like I can go all day w/o eating, and when I take a take a few bites, I'm not hungry anymore. I hate that sh&* for real!!! Does anyone have an answer for this. Seems like it's pretty common amongst us smokers. I guess the next time I quit, I'll make sure to pick up a 12 pack of ensure...lol
hempknosis was saying try multi vitamins omega 3 fatty acids eating healthy (vegetables). I'll let you know in two days how that helps a whiny quitter :)

Noobian said:
Another thing I notice is when I quit for a while I don't even want to smoke again, I have this take it or leave it attitude but after a few times blazing again I want to do it all the time, weird huh?
Well here is the crazy thing... That happens to me when I have a good full on night of drinking, even without any trace of hangover. I think your body makes you feel repulsed by the drug (weed or alchy) because of all the harm you inflicted upon yourself. I know that is the reason for sure that I don't want to drink. Never happens with Cannabis yet. Cool read mang.

I tend to agree with Johnnyla.

If you are having these types of problems after 3-5 days than IMHO the marijuana may have been masking, or treating, these problems. There is a reason so many folks regard it as medicine.

THC has a half life of less than 72 hours which means more than half of the drug is out of your body in that time.
http://www.rxmed.com/b.main/b2.pharmaceutical/b2.1.monographs/CPS-%20Monographs/CPS-%20%28General%20Monographs-%20M%29/MARINOL.html
Cool info, never knew that. But don't forget, if someone is using MJ for years on end, especially daily use, even weekly, your body undergoes changes. It's gotta take more than 3-5 days for some to rebound [fully] from feeling all or some of these symptoms. Maybe some people take a month to get fully restored. Kind of like serotonin and E or something, but with mj, and not just limited to serotonin. There are probably a bunch of biochemical pathways affects by intaking/inhaling mj....if only we knew all of them, one day! But what Im saying is maybe the effects of those changes take longer to clear than just the actual thc in the body degrading. :chin:

lockehead

Just an fyi, your brain produces melatonin mostly ( the chemical that helps your body regulate sleeping hours and other good stuff) when your body is in complete darkness i.e. sleeping at night. You should get into a habit of having a healthy sleep schedule.. Avoid staying up at night because itll just further complicate your sleep.

OK. So I left this for a couple days so I could get through the toughest parts and relay you back non-bias results. I absolutely believe 100% vitamins help your appetite immensely. Proof? Every other fucking time I quit I couldn't eat for days and days. After just one day of vitamins I felt like eating 3 - 4 squares a day ( I eat lots, yay) at normal times.

Second, exercise entirely replaced my depressive feelings. Letting your mind go off thinking is not what you want when you are quitting. Your mind seems to forget about 'the blues' when you keep active. I must admit though, getting active was difficult. I had no motivation because I was giving up tha 'erb . So getting out for a run was a milestone in itself.

Sleep was a major issue for nearly 5 days. I did not take anything for that. Obviously there are lots of prescription or other alternatives that do not take much thought. I try to avoid all meds if I can. Not that I treat my body like a temple or anything..

Lastly... This ... well.... this was something of a treat and a major surprise. But erm... well... Sex was a HELL of a lot different. Much more pleasurable. In layman's terms, busting was quite a different experience. That only lasted two days though. But still, that just made me want to take up smoking and quitting again. I've never had a chance to sleep with someone when I was quitting so this was a first time deal. Does anyone else experience that?! If not, you should be very envious haha.

P.S. Thanks for the advice guys, especially a shout out to hempknowsis. I did what you said and I believe this was smoother than any other time. I'll probably take these methods with me to the grave.

madalasatori

Veteran
Just to give my experiences - I recently quit after having smoked dailly for ten years. Went cold turkey. Apart from interuppted sleep I havent experienced any of the symptoms you describe. I do find myself wanting to be more sociable but thats not lonliness. Also unless I am doing something then I am bored.

I tried quitting a few years ago and just could not sleep. Was dropping of at like 3-4am and up at 7 for work. Now I drop off just fine, just dont sleep as well but its manageable.

The reason I say this is not to boast or anything but to make the point that I dont think the cannabis is the root cause of your 'issues' (I hate that word). I've changed my life a lot since I last quit which is maybe why I dont need weed to sleep now whereas I did then?

Maybe you just arent ready to quit. I always think with anything, you have to do it because you want to do it, not because you feel you should.

Good luck mate, sometimes you just cant rush matters of the soul.

def gives me mood swings for a few days if i stop but not much else and i use a huge huge amount per day.i eat 4 to 6 grams a day an thats not counting vaping.as far as it being addictive hell no!ive been addicted to everything out there and cannabis is like no other substance ive taken.its the only one that makes you truly hungry and when your hungry your healthy.thats a good sign if something can do that.the mental addiction it may cause is no dif than a coffee addiction.if someone out there has tried it and found it to be addictive and cause problems than thats not the weeds fault.that person would get addicted to diet coke if they drank it everyday.

Ph-patrol

Veteran
I hope you look at your cycle of smoking as a possible culprit. Try tochange your binge and quit cycle and move to a mon, wed and sat sessions. Pleased do not rule out depression ether it can come and go in some very quickly.You sound well aware of your mental state so remember when your in a valley a hill is coming up on the horizon.

Take care

anybody who can live in this world and not have some level of depression is disturbed imo.depression is as normal an emotion as anger or happiness especially in the world we live in.its weather it rules your life or not.

vostok

Veteran
Me Too.....that insomnia is a total bitch ...one reason why I still toke, for a guaranteed 8 hours sleep, sounds like all you need to do , is toke more, toke less, toke many different strain until you are happy with that one strain, once you find it ....KEEP IT!

Sisu

Veteran
Insomnia sucks...I've cut way back and considering studying for a test...temp with NPS. Thinking of taking me chances though, if you can't sleep, everything else is whack. OTH, I can stand on my head for 30 days...but I digress

Latest posts

Latest posts