What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Quitting weed/Rolling Depression??

Hey forums. So I am curious if anyone has to quit smoking on a regular basis? An example would be drug tests for work. My smoking pattern was gradual (high once a day), to intense (last couple weeks I was high right off of work, until I fall asleep).

The reason I ask is because I quit often for 10-15 day periods to clean up, but I get terrible symptoms. For one, insomnia. Christ all mighty, why did you create insomnia.. what an asshole.

Another symptom is definitely the depression. I am not a sad person, and haven't been in slumps like what I feel when I quit before. But when I quit, I get very sad 80% of the day, through-out the day. Thinking about the future, people, just life in general. After two weeks of sobriety I start to chipper up and get on with my life A-OK, sober and happy; or if I start smoking again within the two weeks off.

A third symptom is my appetite. The first couple days I munch out at weird times, but when I take my first three or four bites of whatever, I feel full or just don't really want to continue eating. After a few more days I starve at odd times at all hours of the day, but only for a few minutes at a time...... Again, 2 weeks maybe 3 I am back on track and eating normally, as I would, and have ever.

Fourth, I get so lonely, at odd times during the day. WHAT THE FUCK. I have been an average socializer all my life. In my teen years I partied with lots of people, and spent time alone 50/50. I don't ever seek attention, sometimes I avoid it. So why am I feeling lonely?? I will just randomly show up at my parents house, or call guy friends up and talk? That's a clear violation of the man-code. Sure enough though, two weeks later and I am back to my normal self.

Edit: Fifth has to be the 'edge'. I am much more short tempered with various events. If something doesn't go my way, I snap much faster. If I smack my hand at work or stub a toe, shit storm happens. When I am sober or using though, content and relaxed.

Lastly.. First few days (3-5) I want nothing more than to smoke a joint\ bong rip. Real life example is when I am watching a movie, or playing video games, or going out to the bar, maybe see my friends. Just normal day-to-day activities.

I love MJ and I am not trying to bring her down nor quit her. I am just realizing for the first time in my eyes, that weed does have addictive properties; logical sense of course, ease up the hard-cores out there.. I am not saying that my Lady Jane calls me back as hard as Jack Cocaine or Sally Meth-amphetamine. But I am saying that the addiction can happen. In my mind these aren't harmful addictions, more like a very inconvenient hassle every time I quit. And maybe that is why weed exploded on our society and vastly used among all ages, that this drug has 'silent' addictive properties.

IS THIS JUST ME?!!?! 3 billion people smoke the shit, I doubt this is just me...

If this happens to others, please post because I want to know what you do to cope. I am NOT a basket case, no medical problems, and my mental health is 100% (unless you count my addiction to females, because that ain't normal, haha) and I am not old and dying ;). 1+1=2 right?

P.S. I really hate doing a yummybud, my life is falling apart thread but this may open up some discussion about what weed may be doing to our bodies. And may produce some great information on how to deal with quitting.:thank you:

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
Holy moly u just said the story of my life. and I have been smoking for many years now and every time I quit for a bit of time I get just like this and still don't know how to best deal with this.

I just try to cope with it the best I can. and its even that much harder when ur growing/flowering marry jane year around.

also I deff agree that this would be a great discussion And may produce some great information.

johnnyla

Veteran
Addiction is either physical, psychological, or both.

Cannabis is not physicaly addictive. If you use it to sleep then you have a sleep disorder. If you stop the sleep disorder comes back. This isn't withdrawal.

Psychological withdrawal for me lasts about 3 days. Doesn't come close to Caffeine, Cigarette, Alchohol, Vicodin, Percocet, or Oxy withdrawals.

If you get depressed when you stop then you should deal with what is depressing you. Maybe you were using weed to cover up the unhappiness. That is valid medicinally but you also have to deal with the root cause.

Also, if you have an addictive personality, you can quit weed and you will find something else. Find hobbies you like if you have an addictive personality and throw yourself into that.

Just my opinion based on my experience and those of others i've met over the years.

Holy moly u just said the story of my life. and I have been smoking for many years now and every time I quit for a bit of time I get just like this and still don't know how to best deal with this.

I just try to cope with it the best I can. and its even that much harder when ur growing/flowering marry jane year around.

also I deff agree that this would be a great discussion And may produce some great information.

Hey cheese. Glad you came aboard and maybe we can draw some answers on how to deal with the -dare I say- side effects of this medicine.

T

tokinafaty420

I quit on a regular basis as well for various reasons. I find myself feeling a bit on edge and my appetite decreases for about 2 weeks. Once I am beyond the 2 weeks I start feeling normal again.

Addiction is either physical, psychological, or both.

Cannabis is not physicaly addictive. If you use it to sleep then you have a sleep disorder. If you stop the sleep disorder comes back. This isn't withdrawal.

Psychological withdrawal for me lasts about 3 days. Doesn't come close to Caffeine, Cigarette, Alchohol, Vicodin, Percocet, or Oxy withdrawals.

If you get depressed when you stop then you should deal with what is depressing you. Maybe you were using weed to cover up the unhappiness. That is valid medicinally but you also have to deal with the root cause.

Also, if you have an addictive personality, you can quit weed and you will find something else. Find hobbies you like if you have an addictive personality and throw yourself into that.

Just my opinion based on my experience and those of others i've met over the years.
Hey John. I know I don't have a sleep disorder. That symptom is 100% from Cannabis. Not unless the past year and a half of smoking has brought a sleep disorder on? And only during the withdraw period. Any other time, I sleep like the biggest fucking rock you can find. I know I don't have an addictive personality. I have been tempted by all the greats and don't feel the lure in my cheek, ever.

The point about depression is interesting. I don't know what is making me sad though, John. That's the mystery. When I do smoke NEVER do I experience depression, or when I don't smoke after my withdraw. So dealing with my depressive thoughts and feelings would mean to cut out weed completely in my life, and I'll take the two weeks of hell before that.

So your withdraw is much less than what cheese and I have experienced, but still noticeable. With alcohol I get the odd hangover and withdraw from that for maybe 12 hours after. In fact sometimes drinking excess makes me avoid alcohol for an extended period afterwards; no desire to drink.

Thanks for the words brother, stick around.

tokinafaty420 said:
I quit on a regular basis as well for various reasons. I find myself feeling a bit on edge and my appetite decreases for about 2 weeks. Once I am beyond the 2 weeks I start feeling normal again.
Funny how you mentioned being on edge, that's a symptom I totally forgot to add in. Cranky cranky cranky. So what do you do to deal? Bear it out? I am looking for a solution to help, if there is one.

ourcee

this has been known for a long time?

all kinds of threads about it, but yeah its different for each person, I get the same type of symptoms really, but only for about 4 days or so, then its all back on track.

eating and sleeping are a bitch if you just stop cold turkey.

D

danimal7

this is why i have smoked about 8000 out of the last 8025 days...cause I can, and it keeps me of the hard ,legal stuff
that sucks man ....good luck

T

tokinafaty420

Funny how you mentioned being on edge, that's a symptom I totally forgot to add in. Cranky cranky cranky. So what do you do to deal? Bear it out? I am looking for a solution to help, if there is one.

Well I have learned to cope in other ways besides turning to smoking. I just put up with it and try to minimize the impact on me or people in my life. I know even after only a week you'll notice a difference in your mood. Have any other hobbies or maybe some responsibilities that you have been neglecting? If so I'd take a shot at using one of those things to keep your mind occupied. The only times I had trouble quitting was when I wasn't really doing much of anything and I thought about smoking and found myself cheating.

this has been known for a long time?

all kinds of threads about it, but yeah its different for each person, I get the same type of symptoms really, but only for about 4 days or so, then its all back on track.

eating and sleeping are a bitch if you just stop cold turkey.

Wtf man, really? Maybe because I am a younger smoker and haven't been around gangja long enough. I am quitting atm and I just couldn't handle it anymore. Finally recognizing the withdraw and I want to deal with it.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
only difference i (or my friends/wife) notice is, if i'm not smoking, i am a type A personality SOB behind the wheel of a car "OUT OF MY WAY M#####F##### !" if i walked everywhere i go, no one could tell...:)

lockehead

I dont get your question... Are you surprised that youre feeling "withdrawal" effects? Obviously if you abruptly take a break from something you did everyday like weedsmoking, your body and mind is going to feel some effects. This is applicable to anything in your life... not just smoking. If you suddenly start waking up at 8 am as opposed to your regular of say 2 pm, youre going to feel different. Or you suddenly changed your diet, or started a new exercise routine, its going to be weird and uncomfortable at first, you just need time to get used to it. Same with weed. If you have a prolonged use of marijuana, and know that youre going to be taking a break in the future, then you should be expecting withdrawal effects.. Itll just take a while to get used to being sober. Theres really no reason to be surprised or confused because its normal.. However, there are ways to make it less noticeable such as exercise..

hempknowsis

These are normal symptoms and are easy to deal with compared to most drugs. For the sleep take melatonin. Mj releases melatonin which is why it helps sleep. For the other symptoms eat whole foods, a multivitamin, fish oil and exercise. Excersie has shown to be as or more effective than ssris. When I took a break after long habitual use id go running if I felt anxiety or depression.

hempknowsis

Oh another thing, keep busy!

The things I'm suggesting are more for just living well in general but will help bigtime for mj discontinuation

TBL420uk

So glad i found this post! I`m on my 4th day without weed (due to my financial situation) & i feel so ill! To all the people who say its not physically addictive dont smoke enough weed!
All the things you mention are happening to me plus i cant get warm, i feel soo cold plus my sweat sinks! I think this is all the toxins coming out my system. Plus i have knots in my stomach.
I used to be a heroin addict so i know about withdrawal symptom & i DEFINITELY have some.

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

For me the first 3 - 4 days are like shit. All I think about is cannabis, I get well moody and yes depressed because I have no bud, cannot sleep for hours after going to bed, when I do I have outragious dreams/nightmares, wake early feeling anxious and knowing I have no smoke makes me feel shit so I don't eat my breakfast. I say the first 3 - 4 days because it used to be for 2 -3 weeks, but I "prepare" myself now so it's reduced to just the 3 - 4 days. After that I can take it or leave it....I would sooner take it though lol.

Been smoking for 30 years now and will do for the next 30 years....if I live that long lol.

So what I'm saying is that with experience, you should find it easier with the breaks we have to take now and then.

Latest posts

Latest posts