What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hydroponic strawberries from grocery store seeds?

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I'm attempting to grow strawberries in an aero system for the hell of it. Please read my steps and correct if needed, any tips appreciated, but I prefer not to spend any extra money on clones or seeds.

1) buy the fruit, let it mature a little and then when dry, take the seeds off

2) wash/dry the seeds and chill for a week in the fridge

3) germinate seeds in peat pellets

4) when cotyledons show, put in aero system

.. how is that so far?

C

coconaut

strawberries don't breed true, seeds on a fruit may or may not taste/smell like the fruit from which it came.
Strawberries also aren't very quick to flower when started from seed, outdoors, they usually flower and bear fruit their second year.
Strawberries are very prolific at producing runners, runners are [like] clones of the plant which they came from. They can easily be separated and potted up on their own. This is usually how strawberries are propagated, for commercial purposes anyway. A lot of strawberry hybrids are available as clone only, there are very few varieties of strawberries when buying seeds.
All that said, you CAN germ seeds straight off the fruit, but again, you'll have to wait awhile to find out if you've got decent strawberries. To germ seeds found on the fruit, put an appropriate amount of strawberries in a blender and make a pulpy liquid out of them, the seeds will not be harmed. Put the puree in the fridge for a week then spoon out on prepaired pots or beds.
You best bet still is to go to a local garden nursery and buy strawberry plants. they'll probably be sold with soil packed around a dozen bare root plants. so make sure you shake off the soil and cut the elastic that's holding them all together, you obviously don't need to keep the whole dozen that's just how they're sold.
You may not be able to find them in a nursery at the moment though, in my area I usually see them sold at all the nurseries and big box stores in the springtime.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Do store bought strawberries have the terminator seed in them? I know that some peppers and tomatoes bought at a grocery store will have this terminator so that it can no be reproduced. Th man wants you to buy more...not grow more. I would love to grow strawberries and that idea of puree is a great one. I can't wait to try that.

C

coconaut

I'm not sure what a terminator seed is, I've heard a little of monsanto and some terminator gene but I'm not familiar with that issue so I cannot really comment.
I know some plants will not self pollinate, others will, but seed will be sterile, I cannot remember the 'rules' that apply to strawberries, tomatoes, and peppers.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you are going to all that trouble then buy some runners from a garden centre. you could certainly get some from the net - i just ordered them some myself for the garden.

Buy organic seeds or runners from a garden place

Commercial seeds are selected most often for yield, not necessarily for taste.

ourcee

funny you ask this as I just took 10 "clones" (runners) off my Sequoia strawberries. I live in a climate where they can grow year round and as these are an everbearing variety I just take a 16 oz party cup, fill it with soil (or coco) and put the runner into the cup while still attached to the main plant, once its obviously established I clip the connection from mother to runner and am left with a new transferable plant.

Super simple and you get the exact same fruits much faster than from seed

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
ourcee-that's awesome! thanks for posting this...I'm going to try this on my watermelons. I've got two inside right now, and should be harvesting some "sweet baby" watermelons near the end of the year.

the_man

what are you using for light and settings on those watermelons ?

I have some sugar bush I want to try

I have tried strawberries indoor and have found they won't do very well under hid. Fluorescents with a mix of bulbs run at 14 hours seem to work better. I did get them to flower and yield some small strawberries

Wait...What?

Veteran
watermelon are cucurbits they dont send out runners like that. i'm not going to tell a person something cant be done, but they don't root super duper quickly like a strawberry runner shoot does.

im going to try vertical watermelon in the coming season next year. just like vertical cucumbers only with the fruit getting support too. just to be different :)

commercial hydroponic strawberries are usually done vertically stacked with top drip. something like this:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=785298

Latest posts

Latest posts