What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Roku registration question.

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Ok.After a year delay I'm ready to get a Roku Express.The one stumbling block for me is the registration process.Somehow it never occurred to me that I would have to register the doggone thing.

Could I dummy up a name and address for the registration?I am resistant to the notion that all these businesses selling a service have the right to "require" all sorts of information from you including....name...address...gender..(wtf does that have to do woth any damn thing? ADS.That's what)...phone number..shoe size etc etc.

Anybody know if I could just dummy up the info?How would they even know as long as you don't give a credit card or Paypal?

H G Griffin

I had a couple Rokus and got rid of them over privacy concerns. Just like smart TV's, they are constantly monitoring anything you watch.
If you aren't using a VPN, your phony registration won't protect you either, as you will be ID'd by your IP info.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I have a Roku and use it as my main platform I used my real name and have a credit card registered with them, that way you only have to use one service for any other channels you want. Like H G said they already have your IP so they know exactly where you are. They are making it hard to be an outlaw anymore...

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Soon there will be no place left to run......even if you can run

H G Griffin

They are making it hard to be an outlaw anymore...

I'm just beginning to learn about all the things that can be done privacy wise with a Raspberry Pi. I bought a Pi4 and plan to set it up with Kodi to stream my personal media collection.
There is also the Pi-Hole, which can be set up to protect your entire network from ads and intrusions, and to keep the various IOT things on your network from phoning home. (I'm greatly simplifying things, but that is the essence).

It may take some effort, but there are things we can do to give us some protection from all the thieves out there, corporate and other.

Slim Pickens

Veteran
I really appreciate everyone's input.Solid posts all.

I just recently read where Roku had charged fees to users who hadn't owed or signed up for anything that would generate a fee.Suddenly,not registering a credit card or Paypal became even more important.I read about the Paypal maneuver Buzz.Thanks for that link.I understand that it still works,and if it doesn't :

1/ Follow the normal process until asked for a mean of payment
2/ when asked for payment, just close the website, go back to roku.com/link, enter the same 4 character code given by the roku and tadaaaa, you are at the next step, no payment needed.

YES.. As of 5/2020…. just close the link and re-open it again. Paypal does not need to be completed either.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I've considered a VPN for a long time.I really should look into finding one that is legit,and affordable.

Thanks again to all that responded!

EsterEssence

Veteran
I don’t have any service through roku, I use my daughters netflix, and disney. I only watch the free channels Tubi has a lot of free tv...