What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ethiopian sativa

xtsho

@xtsho I like how you've kept these ladies tamed. What size pots are you using and how quick did you put them I to flower , ?

I think the pots were somewhere around 2.5-3 gallons. The plants were about 3weeks from seed when they went into flower. I had the lights on 10/14. That might decrease yield overall but it seems to speed up the flowering cycle and get sativas to finish faster.

I messed up with the soil and it was too hot which is why they're so dark green. They got worse after that photo was taken and had some serious clawing. They made it too the finish line pretty dinged up. I've grown Ethiopian since then and didn't make the same mistake with hot soil/overfeeding and the finished product was much better.

I'm currently smoking a cross I made of Ethiopian and Guatemala which I am really enjoying.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Flowers look really well developed in mid flowering @xtsho :)
Plants look indeed a bit overloaded with nitrogen, glad this was not translanted into leay buds.

Don't feed with nitrogen until N excess is corrected (we recommend in the strain description soft N levels for the whole cycle), yet keep the PK levels up to bump up reflowerings.

Glad the Ethiopian/Guatemala cross came out nice! (y)

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
A bit of history

Screenshot_20240108-143145_Chrome.jpg

EnjoyingLife

Just ordered a pack of Ethiopian. 😊 hopefully I’ll find something with a good happy upbeat energy for day time use. As well as possibly as a tool to make certain heavier medicinal strains lighter and more mobile.
I haven't had the time to try mine yet but the jar smells of limes after you roll them on a hard surface for easier juicing.
Citrus seems to be good for me terp wise along with spicy. I'm not great and pinpointing smells though.
I did a sad job of growing it or I'd post pictures. I'd hate for someone to see them and decide not to grow the strain...

xtsho

I haven't had the time to try mine yet but the jar smells of limes after you roll them on a hard surface for easier juicing.
Citrus seems to be good for me terp wise along with spicy. I'm not great and pinpointing smells though.
I did a sad job of growing it or I'd post pictures. I'd hate for someone to see them and decide not to grow the strain...

Smoke it while it's fresh. That's when it's the best. I know I'm in the minority but I don't cure my weed. I dry it and smoke it. That's how I like it.

When you say you did a sad job of growing it I'm assuming it was likely due to overfeeding which is easy to do. Ethiopian doesn't need much at all. I learned that the first time I grew it as well. The second run was so much better though as I fed them barely anything and they thrived.

Enjoy the Ethiopian when you do get around to trying it. It's a very good smoke. :smokeit:

EnjoyingLife

Smoke it while it's fresh. That's when it's the best. I know I'm in the minority but I don't cure my weed. I dry it and smoke it. That's how I like it.

When you say you did a sad job of growing it I'm assuming it was likely due to overfeeding which is easy to do. Ethiopian doesn't need much at all. I learned that the first time I grew it as well. The second run was so much better though as I fed them barely anything and they thrived.

Enjoy the Ethiopian when you do get around to trying it. It's a very good smoke. :smokeit:
I'm pretty sure it was overfeeding and\or pH.The weather didn't help but it wasn't to crazy.
I reuse my soil so it gets a cook with some nutes over the winter. I assume I made it HOT and when I uppotted I said no nutes, ended up getting distracted and added them :wallbash: At least it was only at half strength I suppose...

I don't get the chance to smoke often but when I do I make sure I have a few hours distraction free so I can enjoy and evaluate.
Its only been in the jar around two months so not a full cure I guess? I like to try it just after a dry, a week or two in, 2 - 3 months in and after that I feel I have a decent understanding of effects. Obviously I missed the chance on the first two lol...

I very much look forward to the chance to try it.

Sensistar42

That’s good to hear on the line part, my honduras has a hint of lime with it as well. I’m hoping to play around with crossing these two together. Maybe getting the relaxed and happy feel of the honduras with coffee energy would be nice. Or maybe Lebanese with up happy cbd energy. My main focus is to play around with “sativa” strains of around 14 weeks flower and have something daytime oriented for helping with adhd/autism. So think up happy,clear,focused and energetic. Weed after all of you will. 🤣🤣

EnjoyingLife

That’s good to hear on the line part, my honduras has a hint of lime with it as well. I’m hoping to play around with crossing these two together. Maybe getting the relaxed and happy feel of the honduras with coffee energy would be nice. Or maybe Lebanese with up happy cbd energy. My main focus is to play around with “sativa” strains of around 14 weeks flower and have something daytime oriented for helping with adhd/autism. So think up happy,clear,focused and energetic. Weed after all of you will. 🤣🤣
I have seeds for Honduras, they may be what I pop this coming season but I'm skeptical my dirt is friendly for that strain as I reuse it and the Ethiopian was quite unhappy last season due to what I assume was the dirt being to hot and wrong pH.
I didn't add nutes to it for the winter while it cooks(so I guess it's not cooking this season)but I think it needs more rain to rinse them out a bit more as I'm known to be heavy handed.
The weather is kind of hard to read lately but it seems my kiwi or silver vine(not sure which - sold as kiwi has never fruited so I looked it up and it could be silvervine) knows when it's actually going to warm up as it puts leaves out last but is the closest to weather changing(hopefully that makes sense) so I'm waiting for more rain and that plant to say it's germination time.
I haven't tried Honduras yet but I'm hoping for a Mexican pheno as I've read the lumbo can be heavier.
I can relate to wanting\needing the happy, clear, focused and energetic herb for adhd\autism without question.
When I'm in my autism shell the uplift typically brings me out.

Sensistar42

I have seeds for Honduras, they may be what I pop this coming season but I'm skeptical my dirt is friendly for that strain as I reuse it and the Ethiopian was quite unhappy last season due to what I assume was the dirt being to hot and wrong pH.
I didn't add nutes to it for the winter while it cooks(so I guess it's not cooking this season)but I think it needs more rain to rinse them out a bit more as I'm known to be heavy handed.
The weather is kind of hard to read lately but it seems my kiwi or silver vine(not sure which - sold as kiwi has never fruited so I looked it up and it could be silvervine) knows when it's actually going to warm up as it puts leaves out last but is the closest to weather changing(hopefully that makes sense) so I'm waiting for more rain and that plant to say it's germination time.
I haven't tried Honduras yet but I'm hoping for a Mexican pheno as I've read the lumbo can be heavier.
I can relate to wanting\needing the happy, clear, focused and energetic herb for adhd\autism without question.
I have a very nice lumbo pheno that’s like a relaxing dream state. But my main want from that line was a Mexican pheno. I have another 15 I need to pop and see. But I have so many thing bouncing in my head between other sativas like Ethiopian, Nepal annupriana, Zamaldelica and wanting to pop and preserve some indicas like Kashmir azad, petrolia headstash, and some of bodhis other works. It never ends in my head. 🤣🤣

Sensistar42

The super sweet bubblegum like things really help me. So far my Violeta with a sage/vinaigrette with a sweet taste has helped me the best. Not strong just very up focused coffee like high. That’s the reasons for the Ethiopian interest. A happy coffee high with no indica at all.

How much variation are folks seeing in this line? Like are there many different phenotypes or are they all pretty similar?

I'm planning to grow some Ethiopian later this year but realistically will only have room to flower two plants at a time...wondering if I can just keep the first two females I see or if I should save some for a later round...

EnjoyingLife

I have a very nice lumbo pheno that’s like a relaxing dream state. But my main want from that line was a Mexican pheno. I have another 15 I need to pop and see. But I have so many thing bouncing in my head between other sativas like Ethiopian, Nepal annupriana, Zamaldelica and wanting to pop and preserve some indicas like Kashmir azad, petrolia headstash, and some of bodhis other works. It never ends in my head. 🤣🤣
I'm sure I wouldn't mind a lumbo pheno, the Mexican one just sounds more in alignment with what I look for in weed. A relaxing dream state can be useful for sure. I just grabbed a maui wowie cart that has exactly this. It starts really active but 20\30 mins later this dreamy relaxed state sets in while still feeling awake in the mind, very nice I must say.
I have Nepal annapurna seeds, I look forward to popping those. You'll probs beat me =]
Bodhi's work seems of interest now that I've seen some around(seed lists no plants).
I've heard\read good things about Petrolia head stash. Idk anything about that Kashmir.
I stopped buying seeds mostly due to finances but also I need to grow at least some of what I have before buying more...
I'd like a good Thai(looking at Ace for that), some of VTMans work is of interest and waiting on a doc d list - it'll be a few months... not sure what'll come first.
Ofc my plan from the start was to increase stock of what I bought then start crossing it for more variety.

EnjoyingLife

The super sweet bubblegum like things really help me. So far my Violeta with a sage/vinaigrette with a sweet taste has helped me the best. Not strong just very up focused coffee like high. That’s the reasons for the Ethiopian interest. A happy coffee high with no indica at all.
The maui wowie cart is very bubblegum\sweet so maybe they're good for me too.
But its really hard to know what's in the carts these days. I'm pretty sure this one uses botanical terps =\
I've been wondering if companies are starting to use the thc from the cbd market. I've seen companies boasting delta 9 (not 8, I've seen both) thc from hemp plants so I'm guessing it's either the plant getting to much thc for the cbd market or it's left over when they pull out all of the cannabinoids and terps. I could just overthink things...

This part is also for @xtsho
I decided to try the Ethiopian I grew last night. The grow conditions were poor and my dry\cure technique severely lacks.
However, this is some enjoyable herb.
Smell wise the lime is still there but there's a definite pine coming through and when I stick my nose in the jar while taking a slow deep breath my nose gets a cooling sensation that has a tingly aspect to it. Mint or eucalyptus come to mind here.
Taste, it's hard to tell as I mostly vape and smoking is quite different but woody and pine, pine without question as that's what lingered.
Effect, coffee like everyone has said fits exactly but for me it's cleaner\clearer and without the jitters that can sometimes come with coffee. Coffee can also make me irritable which this did not and my thoughts get erratic\unorganised (probs what makes me irritable as it's to much stimulation).
This was very up. I could concentrate a lot better. The body felt active and without or much less inflamed. Mood elevation. Centered.
There was a spiritual aspect that came later that I wish I could have paid better attention to but I had already started playing video games. What I remember of it is that I saw and felt a flash of bright white light that started right below my sternum and went through out my body but mostly focused in the midline up and down.
It had a slight mushroom feel to it in the sense of the glow that can come with them and while weed can make you laugh and this did I have a strong memory of taking mushies and my mom asking what was going on when I had been staring in the fridge for 10 mins just laughing. This had that type of laugh, feel going on while at the same time there were bouts of what was clearly the weed laugh.
So thanks to xtsho for giving me the needed push to try it sooner than I would have.

Sensistar42

The maui wowie cart is very bubblegum\sweet so maybe they're good for me too.
But its really hard to know what's in the carts these days. I'm pretty sure this one uses botanical terps =\
I've been wondering if companies are starting to use the thc from the cbd market. I've seen companies boasting delta 9 (not 8, I've seen both) thc from hemp plants so I'm guessing it's either the plant getting to much thc for the cbd market or it's left over when they pull out all of the cannabinoids and terps. I could just overthink things...

This part is also for @xtsho
I decided to try the Ethiopian I grew last night. The grow conditions were poor and my dry\cure technique severely lacks.
However, this is some enjoyable herb.
Smell wise the lime is still there but there's a definite pine coming through and when I stick my nose in the jar while taking a slow deep breath my nose gets a cooling sensation that has a tingly aspect to it. Mint or eucalyptus come to mind here.
Taste, it's hard to tell as I mostly vape and smoking is quite different but woody and pine, pine without question as that's what lingered.
Effect, coffee like everyone has said fits exactly but for me it's cleaner\clearer and without the jitters that can sometimes come with coffee. Coffee can also make me irritable which this did not and my thoughts get erratic\unorganised (probs what makes me irritable as it's to much stimulation).
This was very up. I could concentrate a lot better. The body felt active and without or much less inflamed. Mood elevation. Centered.
There was a spiritual aspect that came later that I wish I could have paid better attention to but I had already started playing video games. What I remember of it is that I saw and felt a flash of bright white light that started right below my sternum and went through out my body but mostly focused in the midline up and down.
It had a slight mushroom feel to it in the sense of the glow that can come with them and while weed can make you laugh and this did I have a strong memory of taking mushies and my mom asking what was going on when I had been staring in the fridge for 10 mins just laughing. This had that type of laugh, feel going on while at the same time there were bouts of what was clearly the weed laugh.
So thanks to xtsho for giving me the needed push to try it sooner than I would have.
This is the effect I need, I would love the coffee with out the coffee as if I have more then 200mg I start getting jittery. And only in the am.

xtsho

I think the THCV in Ethiopian and also found in other African sativas is a factor in making this strain so uplifting and calming at the same time. It sets a good mood for the day when smoked in the morning.

I'm enjoying a bowl of Ethiopian + Guatemala right now while drinking a hot cup of my special herbal tea blend I make myself. Fermented blackberry, strawberry, blueberry leaves, ginger, lemon balm, mint, lemongrass, orange peel, mullein.

I like to start my day off with a variety of herbs.

EnjoyingLife

This is the effect I need, I would love the coffee with out the coffee as if I have more then 200mg I start getting jittery. And only in the am.
I know the feeling all to well. A 12 oz cup can cause the jitters in me and if I drink it after 2pm my sleep quality is crap.
I've noticed the higher quality coffee seems to either take more to induce jitters or I don't get them unless I start getting into the 2-300mg of caffeine but again drinking it after 2 makes my sleep quality poor.