What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Iso reclaim

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I cleaned all my vape coils and parts with isopropyl.
Came back few days later and scraped all the reclaim off the Pyrex dish.
Since this reclaimed bho has already been decarboxylated, can I add this to an edible?
I thought I read that you're not supposed to eat wax made with iso, but now I can't find it.

The reclaim is between snap and pull and shatter, so there can't be too much ppms if iso.

Please teach me.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I cleaned all my vape coils and parts with isopropyl.
Came back few days later and scraped all the reclaim off the Pyrex dish.
Since this reclaimed bho has already been decarboxylated, can I add this to an edible?
I thought I read that you're not supposed to eat wax made with iso, but now I can't find it.

The reclaim is between snap and pull and shatter, so there can't be too much ppms if iso.

Please teach me.

Propanol 2, or Isopropyl, is a FDA Class III solvent, with the following standards:

Solvents in Class 3 (Table 3) may be regarded as less toxic and of lower risk to human health. Class 3 includes no solvent known as a human health hazard at levels normally accepted in pharmaceuticals. However, there are no long-term toxicity or carcinogenicity studies for many of the solvents in Class 3. Available data indicate that they are less toxic in acute or short-term studies and negative in genotoxicity studies. It is considered that amounts of these residual solvents of 50 mg per day or less (corresponding to 5,000 ppm or 0.5 percent under Option 1) would be acceptable without justification. Higher amounts may also be acceptable provided they are realistic in relation to manufacturing capability and good manufacturing practice (GMP).

h.h.

Veteran
In perspective, undistilled alcohol contains isopropyl alcohol.
You'll injest more drinking beer or wine.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
CannaRed, You'll find ethanol to be a cleaner and healthier choice.

In perspective, undistilled alcohol contains isopropyl alcohol.
You'll injest more drinking beer or wine.
Show me something which backs this up. I'm pulling a blank on the internet for it. All I can find for iso production is this...
Isopropyl alcohol can be produced via three different methods. These are the indirect hydration of propylene, direct hydration of propylene and catalytic hydrogenation of acetone.
No references to the isopropyl content of beer or wine anywhere. Were you meaning fusil oils, which taste similar?

h.h.

Veteran
When you distill alcohol, your first cut is methanol, your middles are ethanol, and your top cut is your isapropyl and other alcohols.

If you don't distil it, all that's left in it.

Not quite that cut and dry, but close.

One reason I like to make my own. Its cleaner.

Edit:

https://www.diffordsguide.com/encyclopedia/198/bws/distillation-the-science-of-distillation

Isopropyl aka 2- propanol is the closest I can find to propanol.
A little different. I don't know the difference.

Otherwise I'm citing from memory.

Douglas.Curtis

Isopropyl aka 2- propanol is the closest I can find to propanol.
A little different.

1-propanol has the alcohol bond on the first carbon. Iso propanol is the older naming structure for what is now known as propan-2-ol, or 2-propanol.
You can relax, they're not the same at all and iso is not produced during fermentation by yeasts. It's a bacterial fermentation. :tiphat:

Douglas.Curtis

Hrmmm... 75% is a bit low but should work for reclaim. What are the laws for distillation where you're at? :) If you're looking to do your own extracts at any point, I'd definitely look at distillation if possible.

Hell, if it came down to iso or death... I'd want to distill the iso and clean it up anyway. lol :)

DrDee

Hi CannaRed,
Why don't you just order a case of Everclear and be done with it. I use it for both ganja and shroom concentration.
JD

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Hi CannaRed,
Why don't you just order a case of Everclear and be done with it. I use it for both ganja and shroom concentration.
JD

I will look into that. At the liquor store u can get 75%, but you need a permit to purchase 90%. And the state wanted to know what I would do with it.

DrDee

I will look into that. At the liquor store u can get 75%, but you need a permit to purchase 90%. And the state wanted to know what I would do with it.

CR,
Just now I did a little search and came up with a list of 190 proof everclear sellers...available mail order delivered to your door.

https://1000corks.com/wine/Everclear

I used to order it when I was shrooming. Never had a hassle.
JD

PS: If you're ever asked what you do with it...tell them it's to extract essential plant oils (almost true)

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
CR,
Just now I did a little search and came up with a list of 190 proof everclear sellers...available mail order delivered to your door.

https://1000corks.com/wine/Everclear

I used to order it when I was shrooming. Never had a hassle.
JD

PS: If you're ever asked what you do with it...tell them it's to extract essential plant oils (almost true)

Thanks JD!

That was going to be my plan, if I had to.
I have lots of mints and lemon balm I figured that would suffice, but didnt want to draw attention either way.
CR