What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A World On A String

T

THE PABLOS

I have a pair of 'chain nose' pliers that I use for a light touch stem crush- chain nose pliers have round jaws... I worked over a Hashberry real good this summer!

Glad you made those Afghan Haze f2s- a classic! Did I ask you what the buzz is like on that stuff??? Did you notice that your seeds are some large and fat (afghan leaners) and the smaller flatter seeds hazy?

Continuing success, my friend...

What up Ulysses? I think you misunderstood about the AH F2s....I didn't make them the 1st round due to space constraints. I'm setting up to make them presently...still waiting to sex the 2nd rounders. The 1st rounders were partially pollinated by suspected intersex dust off either Original Haze X Sk#1 or Elephant Head (Congo X Cindy Jones)....plenty of those beans...they are of medium size, dark, and striped...I'd be cautious germing them but not afraid. I should have the AH F2s made by the end of fall.

I like the flavor and high of the Afghan Haze....they all tasted the same....I want to say citrus over fruit...lemon and mango??? Very distinct. The high is clear and mellow...not speedy...no brow sweating paranoid freak outs lol...very good high.

T

THE PABLOS

:tiphat:

Interesting take on your current set-up with the football analogy. I guess that'd make me a young linebacker getting by on athleticism more than football IQ at the moment. ;)
I'm studying my playbook, though. It's a constant struggle, but a good and necessary one. It took me a few months of growing to realize, relative to those around me irl, that I'm a weed nerd. Reading people's take on here about individual varieties, crosses, grow techniques they use, etc is like research for me, I do it gladly to further my own understanding. Good thing for icmag, cuz my girlfriend has definitely had her fill of my ramblings. :D

Well it is that pig skin time of year my friend. I was feeding while taking those Bastard F2 pix this morning....looking at the wall of Haze I felt like the blitz was on...having spent the prior 15 minutes carefully re-crimping branches that were getting to close to the bulb. It is some serious yoga....tunnel rat work.....and as I was looking at the narrow amount of space between plants....and between plants and a skimming hot 600HPS....I felt like a QB hanging in the pocket as long as he can....knowing the hit is coming at any second...but understanding that is what it takes...to let someone break free and get open...to make the completion. The problem I have with pocket passers....is the concussions. Man I gotta think about the health of the garden.

Yup...I lurked on ICmag for a yr and a half before I ever posted. I'm a freak about growing herb....the wife doesn't want to hear about it...and all my friends that grow...are not into it like myself. It's an outlet that helps me expand on my goals. I'm still learning how all this blogging works. I think of gardening and breeding plants as an art form....the thread is an extension of that...had to buy a camera and still learning that...computers are not my thing but I'm learning about them...pretty constructive behaviors promoted by my love for the herb. Lazy stoner I am not....that label always cracks me up...I wish I could be lazy...herb is but one of many passions. I've not had time to be bored in years....feel good and healthy about that.

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fellow weed nerd here.

Rasp and Pab, like the two of you, I'm way more into my herb than anyone around me. My wife will give me a look that says" are you still rambling about those plants?" Or seeds ,or buds. Sometimes though, if she's feeling nice, she'll sit there and pretend that she gives a shit. She doesn't use herb, but she knows my love for it and lets me do my thing. She's a total keeper!!

Pablos- I took your advice and got a pack of BS2.2. Thanks for the insight my friend.

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Maybe we should start a new social group, 'Weed Nerds'. lol!
More than anything else, I'm an ICM'er because of the like-wise comrades found here.
To be able to vent and express myself freely w/o worrying about security risks, and do so w/ others' understandings, is such a wonderful release!
My wife plays ostrich, 'head in the sand'. She knows it's important to me, so is tolerant, but has no desire to know anything about it. Friends you can only tell so much w/o letting on your real involvement. No one wants to hear about breeding, I just want to be the guy who grows his own dope, self-sufficiant in their eyes, nothing more.

My fellow weed nerd Chaco related the other day how he grows the Chem D, but tells the locals it's 'ultra skunk', cause all they can relate to is the smell/stone. You start dropping names other than 'Diesel' ('Kush' on the left coast) and you're looked at as from outer space.
Wonderful to be on this Mothership w/ you lot! :tiphat:

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What kind of pot nerd am I?

An ecstatic one! :jump:

Just got this in the mail today. :D

The book is a newly released update, autographed -Rob 2010-
Figured while ordering I'd pickup this concentrate slide, will use exclusively for hash. ;)
I could easily see myself collecting slides. :rolleyes:

Excuse my pleasure! :muahaha:

T

THE PABLOS

Excellent to see my friends on here. Truly. If I were to start talking in all the plant gibberish that can come out of my mouth....most peeps would be running for the door...thinking me a mad man. The wife...she smokes....but has absolutely no interest in the process...even when I'm waving some rare flower in her face....she is just beyond courteous with her smile and pat on the back. I can't even use her to critique flavors or highs (subjective anyway)....she just says "nice" or "yummy" or "it's ok". I've gotten past the fact...that no one is into my garden like me. You must get over yourself at some point....the pot world and real world don't revolve around my garden.

My wife doesn't even much care for going into the garden.....it's a twist of the arm or when I need some extra hands that she will even grudgingly enter. Blows my mind...but again...I get over myself. Beyond my wife...nobody comes in....except Eugene the Jeep...my alter ego and gardening partner... he lives in the flower room at all times....lending me motivation when I need it. On her behalf...my wifey has seen me have many garden related melt downs...totally insane ramblings.....generally watched me lose my mind over some problem or another before I could figure out a way to fix it....I am a mad man about my passions.

I've come to the realization over the last few years...that most pot heads just want something that gets them stoned....if they are spending money...they want as much bang for the buck as they can get. Talking about enlightened highs and the differences in highs etc...goes in one ear and out the other. As long as they can smoke a one hit and be heavily medicated....there is little need for them to care about such things. That's your average every day Joe smoker. I understand I guess....if I was buying it....I could see having that point of view.

I accept that I'm a gardening addict...a variety addict.....a bean making addict...and the forums allow me to mingle with other such creatures.

LG....man it's always a pleasure to have you post brother. I respect what you have to say and you always seem to make sense to me dude. I'm glad you got on board with the BS2.2....I'lll be showing more of my outcrosses with the Satellite in the next bunch of weeks. It appears to be a solid canvas. It is my favorite BB related theme at present.

HL...I'll be wanting to get a copy of that myself...I collect cannabis literature...well...literature in general. How is it different from the 1st edition(I have the 1st)? Love the glass dude.

Off to see what needs my attention..."father father please feed us"...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
birds of a lunacy flock together!
its refreshing to see someone who doesnt fall prey to the flavor of the month syndrome in your garden space,it certainly never gets boring in your threads...

V

vod

I like your approach and your writing PABLOS. Very interesting and I can relate to a lot of it.

My wife doesn't want to hear about my plants. When she's in good mood she will listen to a short report from the fields or smell a flower. She doesn't smoke anymore, but has a very fine nose.

At least I have a couple friends with who I can discuss the effect of the weed.

I don't keep clones and can't grow indoors, but I'm doing my thing outdoors and have fun with it. Last year I was lucky to make seeds with the best 4 plants of the lot and this year I'm checking out the progeny (and making some more fems, but looks like far less than I wanted. guerrilla -> chaos factor very potent)

Apart form outdoors and tiny indoor for sts, I have plants on friends balcony (wanted to propagate blockhead, but they all turned out male, so it will be crosses), in friends wardrobe (Diesel and Schroomxc99 propagation) and basement (currently a bunch of clones from a cross I made a few years ago and have seen a lot off, but next will be some Congo and Satori and Satori x Thai Haze Skunk. will try some new stuff ( Puna mix from cls) and make more Satoris -> f2 and crosses and a backcross)...
I guess I qualify as seedmaking addict. (Always hope I can grow a fat cellar full of weed and some fields too some day. Until then I spread the seed and so far everyone is happy.)

Just want a nice collection that I can comfortably work with. Like you said:

I remember the days when beans were not plentiful in my collection. Those were the darkest and most stressful of days gardening. If you find yourself in that same situation....start a breeding program....go full circle....at all costs. When your collection is such that you can toss beans at the blink of disaster....you will be liberated. Then start finding safeguards for your collection...so you always have access to all your hard and good work....if the man come knockin'....shinin' the light in your eyes.

The first time I made seeds I pollinated a big girl and got many hundred seeds. I've given away by the handful and still have hundreds frozen and in the fridge. But my last years outdoor beans... well I should have left many more for myself...

Last edited:
T

THE PABLOS

I like your approach and your writing PABLOS. Very interesting and I can relate to a lot of it.

My wife doesn't want to hear about my plants. When she's in good mood she will listen to a short report from the fields or smell a flower. She doesn't smoke anymore, but has a very fine nose.

At least I have a couple friends with who I can discuss the effect of the weed.

I don't keep clones and can't grow indoors, but I'm doing my thing outdoors and have fun with it. Last year I was lucky to make seeds with the best 4 plants of the lot and this year I'm checking out the progeny (and making some more fems, but looks like far less than I wanted. guerrilla -> chaos factor very potent)

Apart form outdoors and tiny indoor for sts, I have plants on friends balcony (wanted to propagate blockhead, but they all turned out male, so it will be crosses), in friends wardrobe (Diesel and Schroomxc99 propagation) and basement (currently a bunch of clones from a cross I made a few years ago and have seen a lot off, but next will be some Congo and Satori and Satori x Thai Haze Skunk. will try some new stuff ( Puna mix from cls) and make more Satoris -> f2 and crosses and a backcross)...
I guess I qualify as seedmaking addict. (Always hope I can grow a fat cellar full of weed and some fields too some day. Until then I spread the seed and so far everyone is happy.)

Just want a nice collection that I can comfortably work with. Like you said:

The first time I made seeds I pollinated a big girl and got many hundred seeds. I've given away by the handful and still have hundreds frozen and in the fridge. But my last years outdoor beans... well I should have left many more for myself...

I like you vod...lol...outdoors is far more a target for chaos....and more the free form kind of chaos. Less the human element and far more the organic sort....except the rippers/LEO etc....more the blessings of Mommy Nature. I'll have to post up my outdoor scrog of Joy Division that I'm struggling to keep safe....believe it or not...from frost. I had my first killing frost August 9th....and frost the last two nights that wiped out my tomatoes, eggplants, basil, and squash/melons. High desert mountain presents many problems for the gardener....but just a few miles down the hill...it is a gardening mecca.

I want to wait to post the grow...just because I might not make it....but I'm doing partial pollinations on her as well...Supersonic and the cross to Wonder Diesel F2 were made on the scrog plant...I'm actually more concerned about the beans than the bud. She is pretty insane....and Joy Division finishes quick so maybe I pull it off. I put a tarp over her last night...it is drama of another sort and a lot of work.

I've worked with Satori and Hashberry...believe I crossed both into Flo and perhaps did an incross of each....I can't remember off hand. I do remember that I had a beautiful Flo X Hashberry mutant that was amazing....but so slow that I only ran her once. You wouldn't have believed the sativa goddess I got out of that cross...I don't think I kept any pix...but she was a nice score. I was interested in the close-to-landrace genetics of the Satori in particular but have not gotten back into that vein in a few years.

Stop in again dude....have a safe and prolific season...it's getting serious about now.

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
OD has never been more rewarding for me than this yr, esp using my own genetic toss-up.
F13 x A11

I didn't have the 1st edition, so can't fully comment, other than what's stated in the prefaces here.
The book adds a lot about the advancements in hash-making, mostly bubble-hash. Bubbleman adds pics, don't know about text yet, but both he & Mel Frank contributed.
I think there's added discussion on essential oils & terpenes as well.

Broke the slide in w/ some dried sift. :D

V

vod

Thank you for the warm welcome!
It is getting serious now indeed. I have already harvested my first outdoor plant. The earliest of the MMGGxBHPTs (ManitobaMedicineGuerillaGold x BangiHazePurpureaTicinensis) and had the great pleasure to pick the mold out until 3am. I had to toss about half of the flowers and cut into all the head colas. And they were nice dense flowerstands. I have bound her down after she had shot up in a conical form with very nice branching. I think she got quite big for such a quick plant. She was put outside second week May, but May was horrible, the coldest in decades. Here are some pix from two weeks ago that will speak to you better than I can:

I hate cutting out mold :/
The weather was/is horrible. Cold and heavy rains. Today came down in buckets -> a couple centimeters on the road suddenly and I couldn't see anything through the windscreen.
Shitty weather. No wonder she molds. But damn early. In a different year she'd be wonderful. Smells great, got the sweet smell from the BHPT side. Last year I suffered from drought at this spot in sept and late aug and this time made bigger holes with better water retention. 60cm deep and wide at night on my knees with a folding spade, which was fun :biglaugh: I treat it as my healthy sport sessions. A little cycling, jogging, hauling heavy stuff through difficult terrain, digging... but I definitively have to add a stretching session afterwards and a warm bath. Tough shit is I have to get up in the early morning and be able to work all day and harvest season it stops being just fun. For the obvious reasons. I am not looking forward to the next months, but it will do me good to go through a high performance period.

I drifted a little bit.

Yeah outdoors is really beautiful. Harsh, but you just have to be prepared for it with your plant number and expectations :smoke:
I can spread the harvest over 2 months, so that's what I aim for (so far no real interest in autos). I'm confident a nice warm spell will not miss us.
Your frost in mid summer is crazy. High desert much harsher than my humid temperate valley. I hope your plants survive the frost. In my location frost is not a concern after April. Wet, cold darkness is the limit.

Indoors I liked the intimate acquaintance with the subjects as you call them. I would like to have a garden outside, with plants in the ground and be able to tend it every day... but anyways outdoors is so uncontrollable, that it's very interesting to see a few different guerrilla spots parallel through a couple of years.
Going threw the different menaces.
Having to deal with snails for example.
This year I grow three crosses that share the same father. BHPT f2, MMGGxBHPT and BHxBHPT and so far it was rewarding. Now the crucial phase.
So far the f2s were the least and the backcross to Bangi Haze the most vigorous. MMGGxBHPT very early, they should all be done over the next two weeks. The BHxBHPT draw the most of my attention. Biggest and latest plants, but some earlier, late Sept finishers also there. Columnar and branchy, buds like arms and buds on stick phenotypes. Next thing to observe will be the smell. I guess I just love their vigor. Best starts, best veg. Sturdy branches on all but one octopus girl in the forest. One that got a bad hole. One who got also a bad hole but got amended with chem ferts and picked it up. And one that is massive and got the most attention. My own piss even :biglaugh: But she's also the latest... let's hope she finishes quickly. Maybe it's for the better, that now she has nothing that could rot.

Two years ago I crossed Satori with a Thunk male that I liked a lot. I'll show you a picture:

A though guy.

I have grown out only two SatoThai girls in my micro cab and I liked them. Lots of vigor :biglaugh: but sensitive to N. They didn't like the goddamn organic soil I bought for them from the bioshop. Too hot. I'd like to see them big so I'm germinating some for my friends. But just a few, as I don't think they will like the product very much. I had just one guy, who really enjoyed them and for him it was the best in a long time. Too intense for the rest (normal people - I'd like to have her back in my stash for a special occasion :D)

I think that is enough spilling my thoughts :smoke:

Time to go to bed. Thanks again for the warm welcome and hallo.

have a safe and prolific season...

^ the same to all of you!

P.S. The big holes are amended with lots of horse manure, horn and dolomite lime. First time organic for me.

Last edited:
T

THE PABLOS

Holy shit!!! CHACO drops in and look at HL's and vod's outdoor....what a nice way to step up the thread! I feel very good about the company.

After seeing HL and vod post up some OD....I changed my mind...I'm going to show my Joy Division scrog. I take it day by day....just like everything else...stay consistent and don't count the flowers before they harvest.

I used my natural landscape....dug down in front of a retaining wall until I hit the granite below...not real deep....maybe 2.5' (less than a meter)....but pretty wide. Put in a gopher cage.....my homemade garden/kitchen compost....plus oak wood ash and saw chips...big chunk perlite sits at the bottom ( on top of the granite) as well as blended in the mix. A hodgepodge of various leftovers really...recycle coco....peat...glacial rock dust...cotton seed meal...kelp meal...worm castings....but I do use both blood and bone meal (I mentioned all this before....but bad on me for the slaughterhouse byproduct...it just works so well)...H2O (PH is 6.5 at this time) is delivered off the tap via hose with soaker end....I water everyday at this point. No Bat Poo!!!

The screen is for cement work...nice big squares...not galvanized so it does rust....I think it's 7'x5'....cable tied to 5' T-Post....this keeps the plant low (about 2-2.5' tall) for stealth and for the strong mountain winds....fall is when the East winds kick in and push wild land fire all over the place....I'm in the heart of that kind of action...never dull. Use the same cable ties...probably a few hundred....to keep her heads low and on the screen. The subject was topped several times....I supercrop her all the time for no apparent reason. Her name is AMX after the the old AMC muscle car of the early '70s....not the Javelin....the 2 seat AMX...don't see many anymore.

I was going to flower a Strange Days....but had a really weird spring like everybody else....so switched over to a Joy Division....the sister to the indoor Joys that I harvested last week and currently ripping away on...yum. I figure the Joy's quick finish X should make it to the end....but chaos lol.....we'll see.

I'm keeping a read on the weather....and have a tarp set up to go over the tops of the T-post and tied down...still low profile and out of the wind. It is a mission I'll tell you that. Probably been flowering since the beginning of August....and like I said I'm doing some of my breeding work on her. Compared to other variety....JD is rather mellow smelling on the vine....I mean she stinks....but not like some other stuff I run. I sit with her quite a bit and read....enjoying that wonderful waft.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
AMC,now there is a name i have not heard in a long time...what was that super wide car they made?

the Pacer,thats right....

T

THE PABLOS

You mean The Pacer? Looked like a fish bowl...or a greenhouse lol....mobile greenhouse?

I just remembered the Flo X Satori cross I named Dinky Hocker....and I actually got that into the F2. Very Flo dominant. Good smoke....can't believe i forgot about Dinky. Ever read "Dinky Hocker Shoots Smack"....they made us read it in skool. Dinky's mom was a rehab worker or something....can't believe they had us reading that in the 7th grade. I like that name though.

Gotta run back out to the scrog...and fine tune the tarp...not getting very warm today....more like spring weather.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
how often do you get to say an F3 or F4 on your crosses?

those Pacers had an awful lot of glass on them,only car i could stretch out in that wasnt a limo or van...

T

THE PABLOS

how often do you get to say an F3 or F4 on your crosses?

those Pacers had an awful lot of glass on them,only car i could stretch out in that wasnt a limo or van...

I'm going into F3 Casey Jones and F3 Killer Chemdog....but not very often...trying to get to F3 ChemDD ....just started a batch of the F2s...in hopes of doing just that. The CJ and KC are in...males are getting ready to start the pollen. Little at a time...but with my own crosses....well I must cover my bases 1st.....and try and find the differences in the crosses as compared to the donor parents....hard to find original aspects sometimes.

I have a pair of 'chain nose' pliers that I use for a light touch stem crush- chain nose pliers have round jaws... I worked over a Hashberry real good this summer!

Glad you made those Afghan Haze f2s- a classic! Did I ask you what the buzz is like on that stuff??? Did you notice that your seeds are some large and fat (afghan leaners) and the smaller flatter seeds hazy?

Continuing success, my friend...
Not to thread jack, but how long did your Hashberry go? Mines at 50 days, so starting to get close to harvest. I'm hoping they'll pack on a little more weight before they're done.

T

THE PABLOS

Under the Influence

Under the Influence

Personally I like to get away from the F1....or as I refer to it...the "Introduction Cross"....not that they are not fun...but because I don't have any input on selection. I think that in most cases I have found much better plants in the F2.

The most difficult task in breeding my own hybrids has been....originality. Breed two flavorful hybrids together and in the F1 they almost always come out tasting like one of their parents...not really blended. There may be differences...yes of course...but in a blind test I have trouble differentiating between parent and prodigy.

Yes... I get great tasting herb from the unions....because... for the most part..... like makes like.....I used to always be hoping that a union would bring a new explosion of flavor and effect....whole new species....quickly the realization set in.....that's not how it works....and such thoughts are in tune with winning the lottery...with similar odds. Nope you should expect to find good to excellent weed and a way of cataloging genetics...shooting for more than that in an F1 is foolishness...at least for me.

For me to come up with something original is going to take a massive amount of work...but... is inevitable...because of my gardening style. What are the goals in working with something that I already love? In other words...if I love Casey Jones so much....why do I want to blend it into something else....when I already I love what I have? The answer is....because I don't have it. In my way of gardening it is not really an option to cling to a strain or variety in original F1 format. It forces me and the plants to change....and that is the beauty of it all. I breed out of necessity and function....not to create the next "elite" or be a pot star lol...but just to keep rolling down the road. I guess that is important to know?

EDIT....Hashberry....I think they were 60-65 ....yielded well....decent enough smoke but I didn't work them that much...I had many males as I recall. Fat stocky indies....look like Old Skool indies....been a few years but that's how I remember it. I think they are probably kind of docile in outcrosses....that can be a good thing.

Last edited: