What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Promix HP

So with my schedule and inability to get a auto feed system going, I’ve broke down and given Promix HP a try for this upcoming grow. Now my issues lol. I know a few people who run it, 1 person says water like soil. Water till it’s wet (no runoff) then re-water when dry (2-3days).. another treats it like coco and does daily. Not really sure what to do maybe someone can help. I’m running the normal Promix HP nothing added. What PH should I be running? Also, I knew I could get clones decent size in a 1gal, veg 3-4 weeks and flip with no issues. How much slower is my growth going to be? I try to hit 2.5-3ft before flip. With winter coming I’m on a deadline before the freeze so I only hve 3 maybe 4 weeks to flip.

I’ll be going from 1gallon pots into final container (7gal) how far from flower should I do this? Week before? Sorry for so much talking. Grow starts today lol.

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
I run ProMix HP along with Maxi Grow / Maxi Bloom at 1 tsp/gal and cal mag 1 tsp/gal. pH to 5.8-6.2 twice a day to run off.

I have a fresh bale coming this week, not sure what you mean by new but I hope I get what I always order.

Mattbho

I think he meant new to him.

Op it really depends on pot size and root structure. If u had 1 gal slammed 5 weeks of perfect watering jumping to a 7 is a pretty big jump . If u soaked the pot it would hate life (over watered).

Then u say running pro mix nothing else . You need to feed .

Promix is just peat ,limed and purlite.

You can add nutrients to the peat and just water as needed . Or bottle feed . Need more info

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
So with my schedule and inability to get a auto feed system going, I’ve broke down and given Promix HP a try for this upcoming grow. Now my issues lol. I know a few people who run it, 1 person says water like soil. Water till it’s wet (no runoff) then re-water when dry (2-3days).. another treats it like coco and does daily. Not really sure what to do maybe someone can help. I’m running the normal Promix HP nothing added. What PH should I be running? Also, I knew I could get clones decent size in a 1gal, veg 3-4 weeks and flip with no issues. How much slower is my growth going to be? I try to hit 2.5-3ft before flip. With winter coming I’m on a deadline before the freeze so I only hve 3 maybe 4 weeks to flip.

I’ll be going from 1gallon pots into final container (7gal) how far from flower should I do this? Week before? Sorry for so much talking. Grow starts today lol.
Check the link in the sig. I have been using it for 2yrs and love it. There is a lot of myths out there, wrt run off with Promix, you don't!

I grow in 3gal cloth pots (almost 5gal) and feed Remo's schedule. I was with General Organic and had nothing but issues. IMHO it is simply GH trying to get on the non hydroponic side.

W stands for water, D for dry and F for feed. I, W D D F D D W. I water/feed the same amount to each plant so that they fall in line with my schedule. When I say I modify an individuals schedule is by increasing or decreasing the rate by 250ml. Most time they come back into line, sometimes not. Regardless, I go by pot weight and when the moisture meter hits the line between moist and dry.

My mix has been augmented by 25% (per volume) with perlite.

When I flush my plants, it takes them 7 days to dry. During flush I flush them twice and have not had any quality issues. That is why I can't water to run off and, plants need to dry slightly between waterings/feedings. If you have a nute build up, reduce its strength. Proper PH, IMHO is more important in avoiding issues, to include but not limited to salt build up, which no longer happens in my grows (knock on wood)

If things go wrong during the growth/flowering cycle (nutrients etc...) flush. I have not had to do this using Remo and their schedule, with my medium. This what I do in my environment and growth conditions.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

I think he meant new to him.

Op it really depends on pot size and root structure. If u had 1 gal slammed 5 weeks of perfect watering jumping to a 7 is a pretty big jump . If u soaked the pot it would hate life (over watered).

Then u say running pro mix nothing else . You need to feed .

Promix is just peat ,limed and purlite.

You can add nutrients to the peat and just water as needed . Or bottle feed . Need more info

I have nutes lol. I meant as I’m running promix as it sits. Not adding amendments or ect. Going to nute feed my bad

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Youtube

Youtube

Pro-Mix has a lot of videos on Youtube you can watch. I think pro-mix is the best when used the right way. When I used it, I kept my pH around 5.8 and maintained a constant feed at a lower dose using flora series, 3 part nutrients by Gen Hydro. I ran 1/4 the amount of nutrients the manufacture recommend and I fed everytime i watered. Worked very well!!! "3 month grows". Good luck

Rheaun

If it says growing medium on the bag it's amended. In my experience it's about 5.8ph and depending on your nutes are 5.8 to 6.4ph nothing special to do. The guy linking pics growing with Remo and dries his pots for days has tiny plants. PH fluctuates for plant to absorb different nutrients so if you use quality cannabis nutrients you want to re-feed to balance rootzone.

Rheaun

Letting dry for 2 days works but definetely stunts the plants in this medium and felt pot. If you want more than a few joints you need a better rootzone.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
If it says growing medium on the bag it's amended. In my experience it's about 5.8ph and depending on your nutes are 5.8 to 6.4ph nothing special to do. The guy linking pics growing with Remo and dries his pots for days has tiny plants. PH fluctuates for plant to absorb different nutrients so if you use quality cannabis nutrients you want to re-feed to balance rootzone.

Letting dry for 2 days works but definetely stunts the plants in this medium and felt pot. If you want more than a few joints you need a better rootzone.
My root zone fills 7/8 of the pot! Nice try. 3/4g per W. Not bad for a beginner :)

sshz

I maintain my pH at 6.3........ but Pro-Mix accepts a wide range. I slowly raise in to 6.4 late in flowering.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Not watering for a couple days doesn't mean dry-like-a-desert. It's still moist and in my experience, plants grow best and fastest when they're only moist (more oxygen?).

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Several clones in cups of I think promix have mold rings at the stem bases. Watering more is one thing but losing plants to mold at the stem doesn't seem totally right to me. Lightweight no nutrients and holds a lot of water leading to moldy stems? Perhaps I am not used to growing with salt solutions (mixing a powder synthetic fertilizer every watering) but even so it isn't appealing even if it does perform ok. I don't know the cause I used iguana grow and hydroguard but no synthetic pesticide or fungicide. Am I reviewing promix or myself, is bagged coco much better, unsure although native organic soil mixes work better for me. Some plants in cups of soil (home grown compost, perlite, even fox farm) have grown a year or more without mold. I wasn't really paying attention but I don't think peat moss in bulk is that good for organic gardening. The bale of peat is like a prerequisite to the line of chemicals for treating all the issues it comes with.

At the risk of what may be considered off topic it would be nice to know what is contributing to the mold rings and dead or dying plants. If it is mined baled peat moss then maybe not such a good idea to use it, or steam sterilize everything even larger volumes. Otherwise advice is appreciated. As it stands advice is all over the place such as add powdered lime one cup per cubic foot, feed this feed that mix with one teaspoon kelp etc. Not much of a consensus. People brag when they can but help or answering questions is less common /digress. I find Fox Farm the only ready to use grow media that performs as described. An exceptional review coming from me but I do not work for them and I do not advocate any purchased products for growing if one can help it. That is to say not only is it the best soil available on the shelf but it is the only product my plants are still alive and growing healthy in. The others died right away or have always had some kind of problem or deficiency. If this makes me a novice, or pro, or lazy, inexperienced, in any event other brand names wilt and brown plants right out of the bag. That does not sound to me like it is me it sounds like it is the stuff in the bags.

/* A lot of times I feel like I'm just complaining whining not much to talk about in the way of big plants or bumper crops for example. And the reality or sad truth is 90% or more of this entire industry is an equivalent of sham or scamming selling bottles of mostly water stuff that does not work etc. With perhaps some magicians or masters that are hesitant to share their chemical recipes. In fact a contingent here is upfront about using the least costly ingredients/amendments for everything that explains itself. An economics lesson if I short you every time what you provide will be less next time than if I pay more than asking. */

Lrus007

Veteran
when in your 1 gal pots. lift each pot. if heavy do not water.
if light do water. i lift pot's every night. in the 7 gals you might
want to use trays. then water from the bottom. a qt. or two on
top weekly. just do not leave them in standing water.
it would help if you could mix in some worm castings or steer
compost with your pro mix.
hope this helps.

I grow in 3gal cloth pots (almost 5gal) and feed Remo's schedule. I was with General Organic and had nothing but issues. IMHO it is simply GH trying to get on the non hydroponic side.

Where can I find/learn more about this Remo schedule. I can't seem to find anything really related.

Heh this is my fist post in like 14 years.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
when in your 1 gal pots. lift each pot. if heavy do not water.
if light do water. i lift pot's every night. in the 7 gals you might
want to use trays. then water from the bottom. a qt. or two on
top weekly. just do not leave them in standing water.

it would help if you could mix in some worm castings or steer
compost with your pro mix.
hope this helps.
In cloth pots, we grow our roots "laterally". Therefore, we are forcing our plants (for the lack of a better word) to search for water in, which is found on the periphery of the pot. Yes the medium is moist throughout, but, plants just like humans, won't walk a mile for a camel, when the cig store is around the corner. As the roots reach the periphery, they die off causing "back budding" a ton of capillary roots, that then search for water, and will also progress downwards. It is a fact that the last 1/8 of a pot is known as the "wet zone" that is why the roots in ordinary pots run to the finish line, only to be sodden and deprived of oxygen. They look for air, circle the pot, only strangulating themselves further.

I water the root zone, not the pot. Root zone = moist. Bottom of the pot = wet. (moisture meter)

I also go by weight, very few see a moisture meter, but when in doubt... it always panned out.

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
in promix hp or sunshine 4 I water /feed at 1/6th the actual volume of the container.
To find that out I ignore the manufacturers stated capacity.
For example an industrial plastics ltd , #5T pot is not 5 gallons. By volume , to the desired soil line, they hold 3 gallons.
So when I water that pot, it gets 1/2 gallon every time, no more, no less.
My schedule is with Lucas Formula 8mlmicro/16bloom PH 6.3 to 6.8 depending on stage and how they take thier nutes.
I feed /water/feed/water unless the plants look hungry or they need a break. So sometimes it's feed/feed/water/feed/feed/water ect.
always 1/6th the volume of the pot (for an established plant)

my plants get on average, 2 days between feeds or waterings but in the peak of flowering I am occasionally hitting them daily.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
We are pretty much doing the same thing. You use gallons/qts and, I use litres. The bottom line, these are guidelines developed by growers in "their" environment :) The point (I believe) to be taken out of all this "ditch" the BS of run off to 10%. It doesn't apply to Promix. If you cooked them (too much feed) as you stated simply water for the next couple of feedings.

I have never grown in coco. Some swear by it, others it is nothing more than a nightmare.

Latest posts

Latest posts