What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help for ventilation big grow room

Illumina

Hi growers, I'm writing here for an advice for a setup of ventilation for a grow room 4*3*3 m, I've calculated than I need about 2500 m3/h and I've found this fan http://www.onestopgrowshop.co.uk/fa...coustic-box-fan-12-inch-315mm-2500-m3-hr.html .
My question is: Can I buy just one of this fan and use it for both direction of air? (extraction and immission)? or I need two fans?
If somebody know a better fan for my growroom I'll be happy to listen.
Thank you, bye!

O.G.Monk

most correctly ventilation in a growspace is to have the same exaust and intake

but many use something not to strong for the intake if the exaust is that strong

many dont use intake at all and they leave it passive and have great resaults but the best way to do it is to have the same intake and exaust..

because you maybe use a filter in your exaust fan that cuts 10 -15 - or even 20% of the airflow you need to speed down a bit the intake with a controler IF you use the same intake

what i suggest for you is to take this one http://www.growacademy.eu/kalliergi...s-solines/eksaerismoi/iso-max-250-2500m3.html it is 100 euro up but it is verry verry quiet i have the same but 870m3/h and i have duct it a lot and place it in a box that i have made and i dont hear nothing..

if you manage the airflow noise you dont have problem i can help you with the noise if you have problems..

Illumina

so I can buy one of that one (400€) and one smaller for intake right? (about 1000 m3/h I think is enough)
What can I do for reduce the noise?
Thanks for the answers.

O.G.Monk

so I can buy one of that one (400€) and one smaller for intake right? (about 1000 m3/h I think is enough)
What can I do for reduce the noise?
Thanks for the answers.

yes you can buy a smaller one for the intake..i have buy 2 iso max and i use the intake to speed 2 and the exaust to speed 3..

now about the noise.. soundproofing is one expensive sport but you will be happy with the resaults..

in such powerful fans there is not the motor that makes the noise it is the airflow..

the most simple thing that many do is the isulated duct, then you can do more..

you will need to make a wooden box for placing the fan inside with the ducting, that means you can make a long rectangle box so you fit there the fan and ductings each side or you can make a smaller one and make a few bendings to the duct so you can fit it (that i have done..) the wood must be 2cm fat or 1.8cm minimum and you have to make sure that the distance on each side between the fan and the box must be at least 6cm, make the box with hinges from one side
432.png
so you can open and close it..

now you have to put in the box soundproof materials

first you can put some kind of soundbar on each wall of the box inside
1644.jpg
this is made from rubber it is to stop the noise and reflect it back..

and then you can put some kind of soundproof foam on the rubber soundbar
51PiMPVSkFL._SY300_.jpg
and make sure the box is sealed up well

now what happens, the noise go first to the foam and because of the waviness reflects back a litle bit and is getting absorbed by the foam and then what remains go to the rubber soundbar, and then it is the wood..

it is very important to hang the fans in the box with some heavy rubber bands to reduce the vibrations

with that way you should not have problem..

if you want you can explain me you you are planing your growroom to be and i can tell you my oppinion on how to get rid of the noise..

When the exhaust is pulling more than the intake the building will have negative pressure. This will pull in more dust and unfiltered air through cracks but helps with order control. Positive pressure rooms stay cleaner.

Make sure to calculate the real air flow and account properly for restrictions, etc. Use the real air flow numbers to balance you room.

Illumina

This is a great idea thank you so much, in my grow room unfortunately I've just one window about 60x100 cm. My idea is to instal the intake fan in the window and the extractor in the opposite side making a hole in the door.
Do you know if in that greece website accept the payment by cash? Is it trusty?

Illumina

When the exhaust is pulling more than the intake the building will have negative pressure. This will pull in more dust and unfiltered air through cracks but helps with order control. Positive pressure rooms stay cleaner.

Make sure to calculate the real air flow and account properly for restrictions, etc. Use the real air flow numbers to balance you room.

how can I calculating the reducing of air flow with, for example, a carbon filter or with the restrictions?

O.G.Monk

it will be great like this way the ventilation..

i dont know about the payments but you can ask them with an email, they seem to be trusty and good people working there but you never know..

but i dont know the cost with the shipping if you are far away..But you can google the fan and find it in a near growmarket of you and maybe cheaper..

or you can search other fans that you can buy from your local growshops or this you linked above but you have to look the technical data of the product..many can be download as a pdf..

for example always check the db the fan have and the m3/h and the most importand the watts

mine isomax fan 870m3/h is only 130w at the 3rd speed and i had one for the intake at the begining 550m3/h not so strong like the isomax and it was 350watts

if you dont find at a near growshop i am sure you will find a way if you contact with this greek growshop..

Granger2

Veteran
how can I calculating the reducing of air flow with, for example, a carbon filter or with the restrictions?
Don't worry about it. Just use passive intake [save money on fan]. For passive intake you should have twice the square inches of intake as you have for exhaust. Doesn't matter what shape. Like for a 6" exhaust fan [pi x r squared or 3.14 x 3x3 = 28 sq in]. So you'll need 56 sq inches of intake. This can be 2 6" intakes, or a rectangular 8x7 intake, or a round 7.5" diameter hole. Good luck. -granger

It is a whole area of engineering. There are some basic rules of thumb that will help a ton and get the numbers close.

It is not very hard to get basics and ballpark your numbers close enough. Do some reading on air flow restrictions and duct design.

O.G.Monk

what i suggest on this is to use same power ventilation for intake or a litle bit lower and use a carbon filter to the exaust fan the carbonfilter reduce some % of the air flow of the fan and take a cheap 10 euro dimmer and control the intake fan 30 % max and leave it when the air pressure is normal i can understand if it is negative when the door of the growbox close and it is hard to open if you use a tent the tent do some bendings from negative air pressure now if you dont use any of this you can just place your hand to both fans and make sure the air pressure comes out the same or take an air controler

O.G.Monk

Don't worry about it. Just use passive intake [save money on fan]. For passive intake you should have twice the square inches of intake as you have for exhaust. Doesn't matter what shape. Like for a 6" exhaust fan [pi x r squared or 3.14 x 3x3 = 28 sq in]. So you'll need 56 sq inches of intake. This can be 2 6" intakes, or a rectangular 8x7 intake, or a round 7.5" diameter hole. Good luck. -granger
with the passive intake isnt there a negative air pressure to or not?

Illumina

what i suggest on this is to use same power ventilation for intake or a litle bit lower and use a carbon filter to the exaust fan the carbonfilter reduce some % of the air flow of the fan and take a cheap 10 euro dimmer and control the intake fan 30 % max and leave it when the air pressure is normal i can understand if it is negative when the door of the growbox close and it is hard to open if you use a tent the tent do some bendings from negative air pressure now if you dont use any of this you can just place your hand to both fans and make sure the air pressure comes out the same or take an air controler
I think this is the best way, I'm not an engineer..:biggrin:
Anyway the fan on the greek website is the chepest in europe. I'll try in a fisic growshop maybe I can order it.

In my currently cycle I had problem because in the room there wasn't enough Co2 (at least, I think so). In the down side of the plants I've lost mostly little bud. Maybe also because the light was too high (the plants are 2 meters tall). Anyway I want to supply enough fresh air and putt off the exhaust air this time.

O.G.Monk

contact with them i am sure they are able to help you and do the best price with shipping they are realy good people.. but always watch your back

Granger2

Veteran
In my currently cycle I had problem because in the room there wasn't enough Co2 (at least, I think so). In the down side of the plants I've lost mostly little bud. Maybe also because the light was too high (the plants are 2 meters tall). Anyway I want to supply enough fresh air and putt off the exhaust air this time.
I don't understand what you're saying. -granger

Illumina

I don't understand what you're saying. -granger

Sorry for my english but isn't my native language. Anyway right now I've 35 plants but in my grow room I've not a sufficient ventilation (the fans are too small for the room) and now during the blooming the most of little bud in the lower part of the plants are died. I think than the problem is the little change of air and the light too high.
For next cultivation I want change the fans and add some light.

About the greek website I've contacted them and said me than they ship in all Europe and the cash on delivery is allowed.

O.G.Monk

Sorry for my english but isn't my native language. Anyway right now I've 35 plants but in my grow room I've not a sufficient ventilation (the fans are too small for the room) and now during the blooming the most of little bud in the lower part of the plants are died. I think than the problem is the little change of air and the light too high.
For next cultivation I want change the fans and add some light.

About the greek website I've contacted them and said me than they ship in all Europe and the cash on delivery is allowed.

well i guess you are lucky.. ;)

did they told you the shipping cost?

Granger2

Veteran
Monk,
If you have double the passive intake as exhaust, you shouldn't have much, if any, negative pressure. Negative pressure will suck your tent in. There should be no smell escaping the intake because of air flow direction. -granger

O.G.Monk

Monk,
If you have double the passive intake as exhaust, you shouldn't have much, if any, negative pressure. Negative pressure will suck your tent in. There should be no smell escaping the intake because of air flow direction. -granger
negative pressure in a sealed room isnt good?

just a litle bit not much

Latest posts

Latest posts