What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Volume for roots without medium.

Lemmiss

So I've begun to think I've chosen too small of a growspace for my roots. I'm new to hydro, but have bought a lot of stuff I think would fit together. One of those things are pipes I meant to grow in. No media used, just spraying water inside the pipes.

Pipes are 110x2000mm / 4''x80''

The thought was to divide these pipes in 7, maybe 6 plantsites. That would give each plant a possible rootvolume of:

If 7 sites: ~2,8L / 0,74gal. of pipe.

If 6 sites: ~3,2L / 0,85gal. of pipe.

If just a netpot, stem fixed, with this rootvolume, how big of plants could I grow? How long could I veg if at all? I could change this if acting fast, but if possible to continue as I thought, I'd prefer that, but not if it's completely worthless. I'm not new to growing, but to this hydrothing. I was of the impression that with no soil I could shrink the "rootpart" massively. Now I could really use some advise please, if someone with the knowledge would be kind too.

Sincerely

WelderDan

Veteran
More root space = bigger plants. You'd have to limit veg time and run it like a SOG. If you are intent on doing this, invest in TEE fittings for each plant site. You'll get more root space and a 4" net pot should fit in the opening. Just drilling a hole in the pipe for the net pot limits root space. I planned a similar system and abandoned it when I realized after cutting holes for the net pots I had so little root space it would be problematic.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So I've begun to think I've chosen too small of a growspace for my roots. I'm new to hydro, but have bought a lot of stuff I think would fit together. One of those things are pipes I meant to grow in. No media used, just spraying water inside the pipes.

Pipes are 110x2000mm / 4''x80''

The thought was to divide these pipes in 7, maybe 6 plantsites. That would give each plant a possible rootvolume of:

If 7 sites: ~2,8L / 0,74gal. of pipe.

If 6 sites: ~3,2L / 0,85gal. of pipe.

If just a netpot, stem fixed, with this rootvolume, how big of plants could I grow? How long could I veg if at all? I could change this if acting fast, but if possible to continue as I thought, I'd prefer that, but not if it's completely worthless. I'm not new to growing, but to this hydrothing. I was of the impression that with no soil I could shrink the "rootpart" massively. Now I could really use some advise please, if someone with the knowledge would be kind too.

Sincerely

Feeding inside pipes is NFT. It's great for simple non-fruiting greens like lettuce that do not develop big root systems, but BAD for cannabis, which develops big root system

F & D for the win

See my thread for ideas

Lemmiss

Alright, im now convinced this is madness of me spoiling good seeds, lights and nutrients :no:
I have now also realised it's possible to return my pipes getting money back :jump:
Sure, if it had been 160mm/6'' diameter pipes... then the possible rootarea would have been ~6,87litres, almost 2 gallons... then I would have HAD to continue.. I really wanted to start my 1st hydroponic grow in pipes.
-Looks so good, uses so little space, easy to automate...
Would just have been so nice!

I'll convert my plans to F&D. Best I can do in trays is(I've looked before):
40*60cm / ~16*24''.
But as alternative to one big, I'll get 9 of them, and connect their "body of water" instead...
It'll take 15minutes to flood them properly using my present pump though. I belive that will suffice :D.. Now just to figure out how to mount the plants in these trays!

And! Thank you for your perspectives and thoughts! Too bad it seems I can't figure out how in "forumway" to say this/ "...found this post helpful." wich I'd like to say to you.. But I did.

Also, a little sad though not continuing this. Would have been interesting to see just how big the harvest could have actually become. If anyone has anything to say about that, maybe have done it in another "salad-hydro"? ;) -I'm interested.

Thank You!