What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Garage Gator

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Has anyone here installed and used this gadget?

I'd like to raise and lower my 30LB LED that is on a light mover on an 8' ceiling. People my age tend to fall off ladders and I'd like to avoid that, so looking around, see this motorized Garage Gator, at Home Depot to raise and lower it as the girls require.. any experiences?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Garage-...-Kayaks-Canoes-and-Golf-Bags-GG4125/301383646

EDIT: rope ratchets aren't my answer, the light is ona 'robo sick' that put the led perpendicular to the direction of the light mover so it is balanced east to west while the light is moving north to south.

RB56

Veteran
Has anyone here installed and used this gadget?

I'd like to raise and lower my 30LB LED that is on a light mover on an 8' ceiling. People my age tend to fall off ladders and I'd like to avoid that, so looking around, see this motorized Garage Gator, at Home Depot to raise and lower it as the girls require.. any experiences?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Garage-...-Kayaks-Canoes-and-Golf-Bags-GG4125/301383646
Seems like a great idea. My LED unit weighs 50 pounds and it's a hell of a thing to move, on a ladder, overhead. Only concern for me would be how much vertical space it steals. I can't spare much at all. Can't be sure from the specs, but it hints that it may need 3 feet.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Seems like a great idea. My LED unit weighs 50 pounds and it's a hell of a thing to move, on a ladder, overhead. Only concern for me would be how much vertical space it steals. I can't spare much at all. Can't be sure from the specs, but it hints that it may need 3 feet.
I figure the whole rod thingy could be eliminated and with smaller hooks (fashioned?) save some of that space.. I only have 8' so loss of headroom isnt good for me either.. dont know how it could steal 3' but what do i know..

I took a tent, 6'9", put it in a room with 8' ceiling, cut out the roof, fashioned a facade to fill the 15-18"s from the top of the tent to the ceiling... light mover is on the ceiling. I guess i could have left the roof in place but cut a slot for the light mover, cause now that is about my working height for the light which would put the light right about 6'9".. live and learn..

RB56

Veteran
I have a bigger lift at work - rated for 1 ton. It steals 32". Smaller one should take less.

RB56

Veteran
Might be able to take the Gator, or just a lightweight winch, mount it on a wall and put a pulley on the ceiling where you want to lift. That will take you from the height of the lift to the height of a pulley.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Might be able to take the Gator, or just a lightweight winch, mount it on a wall and put a pulley on the ceiling where you want to lift. That will take you from the height of the lift to the height of a pulley.
Whatta dope... I have the pullies, need 2 winches.. for leveling.
I'll be back. Harbor Freight..

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Been going back and forth.. Garage Gator, although $110 more has a dual spool and I think can keep level mobetta. With Northern Tool, I'd have to fabricate a lot more.. reviews I've seen say it doesnt reel up evenly on the spool.. guessing since I'll only need ??? 6'-7' of cable, remove all unnecessary cable leaving only that 6-7' on the spool, maybe less.

RB56

Veteran
How are you going to keep this level as the light moves? You might need a pulley at each corner so the cable is vertical between the pulley and mover frame. Maybe guides at the corners instead?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
How are you going to keep this level as the light moves? You might need a pulley at each corner so the cable is vertical between the pulley and mover frame. Maybe guides at the corners instead?
Good point RB, thanks. Figuring there are 2, down cables, each of which has an inverted V fashioned. Lift pulleys attached directly above the mounting points of the light. Each of the inverted Vs ends are attached to each corner of the light mover frame.. slight horizontal movements of the light as it moves east to west cant be a bad thing, may be good. I'm sure there will be other things to consider as I progress. I like the cost ($16) of the manual, pull the rope item but the electric Garage Gators remote control is enticing, even with its $180 initial cost.

What I should do is go back to vertical with 630w DE fixture and bulb on the light mover but I'd have to buy that stuff ($400-$500) But the $1500 LED shouldn't go unused, first, its paid for, then there is no need for supplemental air conditioning or added humidity and it produced some nice buds.