What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Top growth remains yellow?

gamebread

Trying to be both brief, and] thorough.

Quick Stats:

• Jacks 3-2-1 (Jacks 5-12-26 @ 3g/gal, Cal Nitrate @ 2g/gal, Epsom Salt @ 1g/gal)
  • Purple Kush from Crop Kings (something hearty for testing Jack's 3-2-1)
  • Coco medium
  • 2 gal pots in a micro environment
  • Quantum Board 135w LED
  • 1.5 x 2.5 x 3 ft micro tent
  • pH is 5.6–5.9
  • fed every 2 days ~500ppm. For the last week ~680ppm

Not sure what I'm looking at here. Can you help a brother out?

Here's a top-down:

Trying to capture the variance in the plant

To give an idea of size (micro environment!)

On the left you see lower leaves. As you go towards the right, you are going towards the top of the plant.

This is my first time with Jack's, which everyone raves about.

Is it perhaps Zinc? Sulphur? Just trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Attachments

• canna-01.jpg
    canna-01.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 16
  • canna-02.jpg
    canna-02.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 18
  • canna-03.jpg
    canna-03.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 20
  • canna-04.jpg
    canna-04.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 19
X

xavier7995

If it is possible, you might try feeding at 750ppm daily. I think they just look kinda hungry.

Not sure what it weighs out at, but 1/2 tsp. Of jacks and 1/2 tsp of calnit with a small sprinkle of Epsom salt (per gallon)works really well for me. Try measuring by volume rather than weight, I believe this works out to 750 ppm or so...but am just referencing my fuzzy memory so might want to double check.

You look a little light on N to me, I don't see the rust spots associated with calcium issues or the weird discoloration between veins you get with magnesium. Upping your calnit a bit should help.

You can also range your ph up a bit, 6 to 6.2 works better for me than 5.7 to 6.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The top yellowing is a sign of an immobile element defeciency.

I'm just guessing but that appears to be Iron or Sulfur related... At first...
On seco,d thought... It's Possibly just a Mg shortage as well. The whole plant looks affected.

I'd say hit it with an Epsom foliar spray at 1/4-1/2tsp per gal H2O & watch her reaction over the next two dsys.
Dont ever add this stuff to your soil though.

Speed of green

I do jacks and calcnit equal parts by volume @ 1.2-1.4e.c OR 600-700ppm @.5scale & foliar the epsom in VEG.

In flower i go to the 312 ratio @ 1.5e.c or 750ppm @.5scale

This is with R/O water and HPS lighting.

gamebread

@xavier7995, @MJPassion, @Transcendence66, and @Speed of green... thank you for your input.

For the last week or so I've been feeding at ~780ppm (typo in my original post, apologies), but only feeding every second day, so it sounds like consensus is to bump that to a daily feed @ around 750ppm.

@Speed of green appreciate you laying out your feed schedule like that, thanks. Any reason yo ufoliar feed the Epsom rather than mixing it in?

Speed of green

the mag is easier to uptake/faster acting through foliar ive heard.

i normally mix the epsom with fulvic acid @ 1 tbsp/gal.

do the pots dry out between waterings?

What scale does your meter read in? 750ppm @ .7 scale is 550ppm or 1.1e.c This could be part of your issue if you havent checked.

Jacks as far as ive experienced will grow perfect plants with zero deficiencies without any additives.

oldbootz

Veteran
Looks like you need to feed cal/mag or epsoms. You can see clear interveinal chlorosis. They are begging for some magnesium. Your stems are green which means enough phosphorous is getting to the plants, which means its not likely a pH issue.

gdavis62

Quantum Boards have to much power for Your plants height, need to raise the light at least another foot which You don't have the space.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
gamebread[/QUOTE said:
Any reason yo ufoliar feed the Epsom rather than mixing it in?

Magnesium is a very small particle compared to Calcium. A pea compared to a beach ball, if you will.

When you add Mg to your soil those peas clog the pore spaces between the beach balls & reduce drainage possibly causing an anaerobic situation.

A foliar feed will eliminate the need to add Mg to an already loose, well aerated soil.

The only reason to add Mg to your soil is if your Ca/Mg ratios are way off. To know this a soil test is required.

gamebread

Quantum Boards have to much power for Your plants height, need to raise the light at least another foot which You don't have the space.

First post and you knocked it out of the park! :tiphat: I think we can chalk this up to light burn/bleaching.

Last night I super-cropped a top that I considered "too close" to the light. This morning it was much greener.

Just LST'd everything down and gave her a good with run off in the bathtub to ensure there's no salt build ups.

Appreciate everyone's help. Will continue feeding daily and report back in a few days.

gamebread

Any reason yo ufoliar feed the Epsom rather than mixing it in?

Magnesium is a very small particle compared to Calcium. A pea compared to a beach ball, if you will.

When you add Mg to your soil those peas clog the pore spaces between the beach balls & reduce drainage possibly causing an anaerobic situation.

A foliar feed will eliminate the need to add Mg to an already loose, well aerated soil.

The only reason to add Mg to your soil is if your Ca/Mg ratios are way off. To know this a soil test is required.[/QUOTE]

Makes sense. Great answer, thanks.