What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mag def?

Earlmarne

So my deadhead× long bottom leaf crosses have been a pain.
I believed them to be extremely mag hungry as they were all showing intervenial lightening then dead spots. I doubled my Epsom salt in my res and started foliar feedings es once a week n all got better. Now I notice one girls got leaves looking like the pic. No tip burn on any of the other
1.3 ec 5.8 ph Jack's calnit n es with once weekly maxicrop fulvic acid foliar , once weekly es foliar, 2 times a week neem
Coco/ perlite 5g hempys with hydroton top n bottom. 1000w hps 70f 40 to 50% humidity .
I want to flip em. Thought I had all sorted out til I saw this now I fix on waiting til I got em til they are good to go

Attachments

• 20171105_180727.jpg
    20171105_180727.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 8

Dave Coulier

Veteran
It is very difficult to gauge without a picture of the full plant, as well as the HPS orange making it difficult to tell whats going on.

Did the symptoms begin at the bottom, and work its way up? Has the plant undergone any moisture stress lately? Damaged roots cause plenty of nutrient deficiencies, that are not related at all to nutrition.

Are you spraying neem on the plants? Too high of concentrations will lead to damaged leaves. It fried my fan leaves once when I was treating broad mites using neem years ago. Never used it since.

gorilla ganja

Mmm, though one. I would guess maybe a Potassium deficiency.
Maybe stop the Epsom salts the Mg can build up quickly and may be causing problems with other things being taken in.

Maybe a flush with just a slightly lower ec of 1 or so just to try and re- balance everything.

Best of luck and may all your Buds be huge

Peace GG

Earlmarne

It is very difficult to gauge without a picture of the full plant, as well as the HPS orange making it difficult to tell whats going on.

Did the symptoms begin at the bottom, and work its way up? Has the plant undergone any moisture stress lately? Damaged roots cause plenty of nutrient deficiencies, that are not related at all to nutrition.

Are you spraying neem on the plants? Too high of concentrations will lead to damaged leaves. It fried my fan leaves once when I was treating broad mites using neem years ago. Never used it since.

Yes, I'm spraying neem on leaves, this is at the top of the plant. Roots have filled out their pots and are getting 1/4 g a day

Earlmarne

Mmm, though one. I would guess maybe a Potassium deficiency.
Maybe stop the Epsom salts the Mg can build up quickly and may be causing problems with other things being taken in.

Maybe a flush with just a slightly lower ec of 1 or so just to try and re- balance everything.

Best of luck and may all your Buds be huge

Peace GG

I could see that, thank you for the input

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Yes, I'm spraying neem on leaves, this is at the top of the plant. Roots have filled out their pots and are getting 1/4 g a day

I would advise stopping all neem treatments unless you are treating a pest problem. Its not necessary for healthy plants, and it could be causing more harm if used too strongly.

Have you ever heard of the NCSU Pour-Thru Method? If you have an EC meter, you can test the run-off that comes out to help gauge whether or not you have a fertility problem. EC in the media should be at least 2.0.

https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/floriculture/crop/crop_PTS.htm

I only recommend this method for testing media EC if you do have a healthy root system though. Anything less, and you risk saturating your media for an extended period of time leading to root damage.

I will give you one tip that always helps me get plants back on track though __if they are under-fed__..Trim back the unhealthy foliage, transplant into fresh media, and feed regularly over the next week when watering is required. I almost always see an improvement just doing that alone.

Earlmarne

I would advise stopping all neem treatments unless you are treating a pest problem. Its not necessary for healthy plants, and it could be causing more harm if used too strongly.

Have you ever heard of the NCSU Pour-Thru Method? If you have an EC meter, you can test the run-off that comes out to help gauge whether or not you have a fertility problem. EC in the media should be at least 2.0.

https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/floriculture/crop/crop_PTS.htm

I only recommend this method for testing media EC if you do have a healthy root system though. Anything less, and you risk saturating your media for an extended period of time leading to root damage.

I will give you one tip that always helps me get plants back on track though __if they are under-fed__..Trim back the unhealthy foliage, transplant into fresh media, and feed regularly over the next week when watering is required. I almost always see an improvement just doing that alone.
My run off is usually 1.8 to 2.0 ec
I run neem as a preventative. I'm open to it possibly being too strong though. I'll get some pics without my light on tonight

Dave Coulier

Veteran
My run off is usually 1.8 to 2.0 ec
I run neem as a preventative. I'm open to it possibly being too strong though. I'll get some pics without my light on tonight

Dont forget a pic of the full plant. It helps to see whats happening to the whole plant. I still would recommend dropping the neem for a week or two, and observing if new growth begins coming in as normal on this girl.

Do you know what PPM/EC your foliar feeding is at? If its too high, you'll end up having concentrated salt levels on the leaves as the water dries, which can and will cause leaf scorching. You may consider dropping foliar feeding for awhile and concentrate on root-feeding, and observe if there is any improvement.

If you stick with foliar feeding, spraying the leaves down with just water alone to wash away left over salt-residue is likely a good idea too.

Earlmarne

Dave, I think you nailed it.
I had a late night so didn't shut down my light n snap pics.
I don't take ec readings of my foliar mixes. I think it is a very reasonable assuption that I am going to heavy on eyeballing neem, and even my es and kelp and fulvic mixes.
It's cold enough out that I feel comfortable slowing down my pest prevention some. N I'll take n measure my ec of my current batches. Maybe something will really stand out there