What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SPIDER MITE CONTROL AND PHOTOPERIOD

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Koppert is great, I've used a lot of their species so far.
It's indeed hard to keep the sachet species around for long, and one time I also think that I even introduced spider mites into a grow, via hanging sachets.
Certain species are only eating mites and come with some of them included and since they all produced in the same facilities, some contamination within the food insects can happen.

Due to price & risk, I abstained from buying any more.
But I had enough species introduced in my system, that they started thriving in my new worm bin.

Neoseiulus californicus
View attachment 18868589
View attachment 18868590

Especially the macro mites are easy to "breed" in that environment.
tried to catch some with a small container, filled with male parts i.e. pollen.
View attachment 18868576

they everywhere
View attachment 18868578
View attachment 18868579

For spider mites, I only spray anymore. No extra insects, nor treatments, just moisting the leafs regularly prevents 95% of the troubles. There will be single mites sticking around and creating a new infestations when left unchecked, but once I see fresh bite marks I usually find em quickly under the leaf and just give em the finger of God.
By killing those off manually, you usually get rid off them until the next season.
(all Outdoor of course)

They should just never happen indoors, if they do you're a lazy chump and should propably clean your space for once. It's usually those people that never clean and call it "organic" and "mulch layer". gross!

for flowering plants, I can recommend spraying the infested parts (usually nets already) with 70%+ rubbing alcohol. It will kill any mite on contact and gets rid off the nets after several hits, without any extra chems on your bud, it's just booze if any.

here you can see such a tricky situation...
100d+ flowerings, it happened through autumn into winter, some got in and once the air was bone dry, just exploded.
View attachment 18868588

here you can see a man giving up... no mas!
had the tent closed and lamps off for about a week, it was just mayhem as they actually don't like nor need any light...
View attachment 18868592
View attachment 18868591
Yeah I see the good predators 6 months later if kept in a more humid environment/veg area and they just keep reproducing.
Also I found they love Males, pollen must be like a desert for them 😆 as they love a Male plant and always go to the Male even when zero mites or eggs at all they will always go to the Male.

Last edited:

Darksidedog

Get the same spidermite problem every year. Easy to clear up using UV lights, yellow sticky fly papers, good air movement and a liberal spraying of (BAC)Plant Vitality Plus. Keeping humidity down is important too as they rapidly enhance the chance for buds to go mouldy.
I hear that Thiamethoxam is present in (BAC) but neem is used in safely in many products. More importantly it works real quick saving your crop.

Bio boy

Almost killed the Borg by mistake , I had a new spray treatment to use and was going to spray so first I wanted to clean the leaves n buds so I mixed 12%h202 and alcahol and went a spraying clean it all down , idea was the next day I’d do the milk spray to help any pm issues I dont need as found my pm was calcium from spraying lol, then I would spray my mite killer and oils at a high ph silica then next day spray a low ph lactic acid and citric acid low ph

but it appears the prewash killed everything the remaining leaves with dots on they fell off when picked to investigate
I found 2 baby’s new hatched so I will re spray same shit again and defoliate same time

I’ll skip the oils n milk and spray lactic and citric still as it has massive benefits to plants in many many ways as well as repelling bugs and mould and will do every week as it’s safe to even spray after harvest apparently

my other method to kill em is I spray a mix of saponified oils rosemary garlic geraniol lavender and mint with cotton seed and canola oil I shake this and spray all woodwork walls and floor , yes it’s greasy sticky and strange as Hell when I go in but it’s also inhabitable to mites that hide so I don’t give a pluck lol

Nannymouse

@Bio boy what do you mean by 12% h2o2 and alcohol? Is that 12 percent of (3% H2o2) in straight everclear? Or do you mix hydrogen peroxide and alcohol, then add 12% of that to water?

Same question with the oil mix...do you use the essential oils and just add those to the cotton seed and canola? OR do you add the mix of both the essential oils and carrier oils with water?