What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Getting seeds outdoors

littlegrow

Does anyone start there seeds outside, if so do u start with bottles over them to protect them from animals ?

St. Phatty

Does anyone start there seeds outside, if so do u start with bottles over them to protect them from animals ?

Seems like most of the time, a seed started outside becomes Food for a

Snail
Slug
Rabbit ... etc.

A plastic water bottle with the bottom cut off can help protect the plants - if they're in the shade.

troutman

Seed Whore
Unless you have lots of seeds to spare.

Don't get into "direct seeding" or you may get depressed in a hurry.
When the plants are tiny it's insects that normally attack the plants
1st. I much prefer starting them indoors until they are 4-6" tall than
direct seeding. My success rate is higher when I do this.

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
Nursery trays
Root Stimulator
Pro-Mix
Chicken Wire (Laid/Fixed horizontally over trays)
Sevin (Liquid)
Never failed me yet... :)
..... Protect from heavy rains and long periods of direct hot sunlight.

Good to go!

:tiphat:

hamstring

Veteran
I agree you should count on 2 seeds for every hole but many people including myself have over 80-85% germ rate.

Its all in how and what you germ in. search the topic there are many discussions pros and cons.

RedACD

I was having a very tough time this year with slugs and snails. I raised my pots up about 3 feet on planter stands and so far have had no more slimy pest issues. Just doing autos in 3 gallon pots with no covering or clear lids.

YMMV

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
A good idea that first popped into my mind if your having trouble with slugs is the same method I mentioned in this thread, except, add a piece of copper wire around the top of the nursery tray just bend it out in same shape as tray and voila! You now have a defense barrier!

:tiphat:

therevverend

Veteran
Starting seed outdoor is doable but indoor is much easier. Got to be warm enough of course. You need a nice set up, netting or a cover to keep out animals. Birds are the worst. Mice, slugs, and other pests will go for the sprouts. Shelter from wind and rain is important.
Indoors near a window for natural light. Then moving outdoors during the day and bringing in at night works best if possible. Most plant gobblers operate after dark.

therevverend

Veteran
Starting cuttings this time of year is doable too. The key is shade, no direct sun at all. Put them in cubes or medium in a tray with water. If they're good strong cuttings off a flourishing outdoor plant the cover may not be necessary. Soak them down a couple times a day and never let the medium dry out. They should root within a couple weeks.
The only draw back, once you bring them inside they'll be riddled with pests. You need good control when mildew, mites, thrips and the rest attack. I'd start as soon as they come in.

S

Scott64a

That's a cool trick. I'll have to try that some time.

Heck, even just using the flat strands wrapped like a coil around the stalk will work.

I just was out there being eaten by skeeters and decided to encircle the stalk loosely hahaha.

*slap!* work work work *slap!* itchy on leg, scratch, *slap!* waves hand around face *slap!* blow gnats from eye area with upward puff from mouth *slap!*

hahaha

Frigging skeeters.

Farm Hero

Just tossing seeds outside is great for finding the most vigorous phenos. Survival of the fittest.

Yes, birds are hell on small plants outdoors early spring.

Outdoor growers might consider keeping a male and use it to pollinate specific branches so you will have an abundance of seed the next season. I hate seeing folks being restricted in their gardening by not having enough seeds on hand.

I end up with better plants when popping say 40 seeds, growing them out for a couple months then keeping the best two for blooming. When I pop 10 seeds and keep the best two plants the results are rarely as good.

The seeds are top shelf and not an issue, it is the larger sample size that helps me find the really killer phenotypes.

master kusher

may I suggest direct planting of clones? (before a rain in the spring when the weather is stellar and just right) in my experience any plant that's not in full vegetative stage when thrown out will be exactly that "thrown out"

OG bub

~Cannabis-Resinous~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sure you can pull off direct seeding. but be ready to lose some. bugs, birds etc as stated by others, are all gonna be looking for some quick easy grub, your plant fall into that category.
generally, I start my seed indoor. once they are above ground I immediately begin hardening off by placing them in direct sunlight for a cpl hours a day for a few days, then gradually increasing that time by a couple hours every 4-5 days, until they are out for the full length of the day. then I put them in the ground.
remember, these plants are tough, they are meant to be grown outside in unpredictable conditions. its how they have evolved for ever.
theres alot we can do to maximize a plant potential outdoors. location, strain, what you introduce to the plant, and many other factors dictate how much success you will have in maximizing said potential.
good grows!
Bub.

hamstring

Veteran
OGbub

good advice and much respect. I remember you over at OG.

Saw this thread looking for a knock out indica to try next year.

In a small 24x24 cold frame protected from critters I have had great success starting straight outdoors. 2 seeds per cup I fill every cup every year.

Also in fabric pots with a small bottle and cage over the bottle just as good germ rates as in cold frame.

I just dont like carrying in all the soil for the fabric pots. I would rather carry in one bag of soil to start the seeds in the cold frame and transplant the seedlings at 12-18 inches straight in the ground.

Easy7

Veteran
Flower house mini greenhouse. It has no bottom, so glue some 'New York Wire' on the bottom. New York wire is a mesh made out of some sort of plastic stuff. Keeps bugs out, air moving.

Put some fence that will be around the plants when they move to the ground around it. Pretty much promises seeds germinating in pots.