What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seed storage question...

bmiss

Ive had some seeds stashed away for a year or so stashed in my bedroom in a drawer. Ive recently put them in the fridge but was wondering if storing them at room temp in a small maspn jar...if it could affect potency in any future (only legal) grows. Im sure germination percentage will drop but wasnt sure about the affects on potency...

Gone Camping

I store mine with my undies too...

Recently picked up a mini fridge for beers in garage, think i'll grab a small Tupperware container and put them in there.

master kusher

So I should be keeping them in cooler temp.s? I've thought about this a little bit in the past before I saw this, because it naturally gets below freezing every year where I live.

troutman

Seed Whore
So I should be keeping them in cooler temp.s? I've thought about this a little bit in the past before I saw this, because it naturally gets below freezing every year where I live.

I keep mine in my fridge and I have germinated seeds this year that were like 9 years old.

Room temps aren't the best and freezing is something I won't do.

If the seeds freeze and thaw a few times their germination rates will go down a lot.

Just use a fridge and try to germinate the seeds before 5 years if you can. :tiphat:

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
Just use a fridge and try to germinate the seeds before 5 years if you can. :tiphat:

I think that is as good advise as anyone can give.

I've lost a lot of packs of seeds that I carefully stored but just waited too long to use.

The fewer you have the sooner you should use them. A pack of ten seeds isn't that many chances to begin with.

Better to use them sooner than later.

If you have real speacial seeds, grow them. If you want to store them for a real long time then F2 those bad boys. Make enough so that you can deal with the low germination rates that comes with extremely old seeds.

brown_thumb

My fridge is set almost cold enough to partially freeze some liquids. I can't keep meat in the meat drawer because it partially freezes, nor can I store 'all' fruits/veggies in the 'produce' drawer (some freeze and others don't).

I keep seeds in the main refrigerator compartment which never freezes. The seeds are in very small plastic bags to keep them organized. Then those are separated into two bubble insulated envelopes. Then those two envelopes are in a larger bubble insulated envelope. The seeds inside are kept at a very constant cold temperature and never frozen.

I'm a newb to all this but in the 100+ seeds I've popped I've only lost 2 seeds due to non-germination. So I guess I'm okay at germinating... I just kill them as they struggle to survive my horrid incompetencies.

Mason Jar + Dry Ice. Wait till it sublimates and the CO2 fog is pouring over the top of the mason jar. It has pushed out all the air. Add your seed packs and seal it up.