What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any advice on putting holes in grow tents???

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I am almost done putting together a DIY RDWC setup, using Snypes method. All I have left to do is put 2, 1.5 inch holes through the tent to a reservoir outside of it. This is the one thing I have been putting off, not wanting to damage it too much, or cause light leaks. Was planning on making X's with a razor knife.

Figured I would ask if anyone has any advice before proceeding.

Thanks in advance.

troutman

Seed Whore
Cut the smallest hole possible and use something like duct tape to seal
the hole around the cord or pipe you passed thru so no light leak occurs.

If you ever take that cord or pipe out and want to hide the hole. Sow a
small 4 X 4" patch of the same material the tent is made by hand with a
needle and thread.

Loc Dog

Veteran

Space Toker

Veteran
oh fuck never had a hole in a tent intentionally and when it happened otherwise it was not a good thing. I have to have shorter tents (AKA old school) to fit under a 7.5 foot ceiling, but even then found a way to get a short bench in and make it work... if you have those newer taller Jardin tents and the space to fit it in, go for it but if not you can still make it work... I respect if others who know more than me about tents say you can make holes in tents but they sure cost enough so unless you know/learn better, based on common sense alone, I would not advise it! Like some pants I knew, make any hole and many more appear until you are ruined! :D

Loc Dog

Veteran
Sorry for the delay, was watching NIN videos to get in better mood.

The bottom of the existing holes is higher than 5 inches. The top of the hole I need to make is about 3 inches, and the bottom of hole is about 1.5 inches. Will have to cut.

Was just asking in case anyone had problems, or found tricks for cutting them.

Will just go with original plan tomorrow, making an X with razor knife.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Holy crap. I could not believe how easily it cut. Like cutting a piece of paper. For $120.00 shipped for 4 X 8 tent, it is pretty much disposable.

Drop That Sound

Haven't tried this but the thought just came to mind...

Paste a layer of thick 2 part epoxy on one or both sides of the side of the tent fabric, use a cardboard template if you want a nice shape (square, round, etc).

Let it harden up, add more layers if needed. Now you can drill or cut out whatever shape desired, and even screw flanges or bulkheads onto the epoxy, and easily cover it back up with a plate or plug when not in use. Walaa :)

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Great idea Drop That Sound!

I had to cut a hole in my tent, it's inside a shed an the one it had for exhaust is blocked on the outside so is not usable, whereas opening a vent hole on a different place made it perfect.

1.- Scavenged a pair of square sheets from PVC jerry cans. Use any suitable, light material. Important: if it has square shape, make the corners round, we don't want any sharp edges that could pierce the tent fabric if sheets are "abused".

2.- Cut a properly sized round hole on the sheets (it helps to fix both with tape one on top of the other so that you cut a hole once and get the exact same hole on both). I used a dremel.

3.- Draw the round hole on the tent, then cut it with a xacto knife or cutter (cuts cleanly like butter... thanks Loc Dog!)

4.- Apply epoxy on both sheets and paste them: one on the inside of the tent, another on the outside.

5.- Use properly sized tube (scrubber collar, duct adapter, whatever) to insert through both sheets to perfectly line up both

6.- Use clothes pegs, or suitable clamps to keep both sheets firmly pressed against the tent fabric and let it cure.

done.

I used a duct backflow valve to line both sheet holes, thinking on fixing it permanently on the spot as it will be used only to exhaust:

attachment.php

This way if not using it, given the negative pressure inside the tent it will keep it on the closed position.

Last edited:

Drop That Sound

Great idea Drop That Sound!

I had to cut a hole in my tent, it's inside a shed an the one it had for exhaust is blocked on the outside so is not usable, whereas opening a vent hole on a different place made it perfect.

1.- Scavenged a pair of square sheets from PVC jerry cans. Use any suitable, light material. Important: if it has square shape, make the corners round, we don't want any sharp edges that could pierce the tent fabric if sheets are "abused".

2.- Cut a properly sized round hole on the sheets (it helps to fix both with tape one on top of the other so that you cut a hole once and get the exact same hole on both). I used a dremel.

3.- Draw the round hole on the tent, then cut it with a xacto knife or cutter (cuts cleanly like butter... thanks Loc Dog!)

4.- Apply epoxy on both sheets and paste them: one on the inside of the tent, another on the outside.

5.- Use properly sized tube (scrubber collar, duct adapter, whatever) to insert through both sheets to perfectly line up both

6.- Use clothes pegs, or suitable clamps to keep both sheets firmly pressed against the tent fabric and let it cure.

done.

I used a duct backflow valve to line both sheet holes, thinking on fixing it permanently on the spot as it will be used only to exhaust:

View Image

This way if not using it, given the negative pressure inside the tent it will keep it on the closed position.

That sounds like a great way to do it, nice work! I bet it will outlast the tent ;)

Even if you used something like HDPE for the sheets, that doesn't adhere well to some epoxies (even after scuffing), it would make for a better looking finish if it peeled off..

Rounding the corners is a real good tip. As is using an alignment tool, like doing a clutch! Perhaps a bunch of neodymium magnets could clamp the sheets together if they were rigid enough?

With this method you could also make light duty fan mounts, tool holders, dash boards, scrog and shelf supports, etc.

You could really customize a tent without being limited to just the frame work!

Last edited:

Bobby Boucher

Hot glue had such surprisingly excllent adherence to tent fabric that I never got around to playing with epoxy. It can also be reheated to facilitate easy removal..

When I have to stick 6" ducting through my tents, I just cut 4.5 inch holes with a stencil and an exacto, shove my ducting through, and foil tape in place. The tents I've cut up were pretty stretchy. YMMV.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Really glad with the outcome. A Picture:

There's a "strain relief" rope fixing the outer part of the passthrough 125mm tube to the wall both outside the tent (not seen in the photo) and inside the tent (the easy roller on top) in order to prevent the weight from pulling the tent wall down.

Latest posts

Latest posts