What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Building a DIY AC chiller & multi functional watercooling system

dwiz415

Man!! Yeah you are definitely in deeper than I thought. The res outside is the best bet as it won't cost much to run a pump and mawah' nature will keep it cool the season. The grey water tank is a project worth looking In o long term. For me, my space is small enough where little additions and changes make a big difference.

dwiz415

I thought about glycol. Still have to do some research. From my understanding, it makes for more efficient cooling. Is that correct?

Drop That Sound

I believe the main benefit is just to keep it from freezing, and in a more fluid state. It can allow you to drop the temperature of the rez considerably, which could be more efficient?

You could trick your dehumidifier to chill down to a lower temp, and the glycol would help keep the coil from freezing up.

Drop That Sound

So I thought about it more, and having the 2 tanks already strapped under my trailer is my best bet for water cooling reservoirs. They can be chilled via an inline ex-changer remotely somewhere in the plumbing.

I was thinking I could drop the black water tank and add another grey water tank instead from another junk RV. They will be exposed to outside except for the tops. The tanks are really slim but still hold a decent capacity.

One could be left exposed as the winter res, which has glycol to prevent from freezing. Will not have to be chilled,but maybe.. could have and external geothermal coil, than can be tossed in nearby stream, or another outdoor radiator. Different accessories to plug in and play with! All can be stored down below.

The other would be heavily insulated, for summer time use. Or use one as a secondary storage.

Either way having both tanks below allows me to keep more precious interior space for other systems, re-cycles junk which I am a fan of, and gives me a great start to finally designing my system. There is 1 1\4" drain lines running to them already, hidden under the new flooring.

I could utilize an outside storage compartment (propane tanks or battery areas) for a pump house. With access hatch from inside as well.

Drop That Sound

I was just gonna cheap out and buy some 50/50 RV antifreeze at walmart. I think its a different mix than standard auto coolant, and is safer..

Pretty sure you don't want any additives that aren't necessary.