What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hail Hydro!

T

thesloppy

I would love to have a civil, factually based debate on the subject of 'STRUCTURED WATER'...I'm not going anywhere. Please do not tell me to go away. I want to contribute. And I hate myth based pseudoscience.

Stop being an ass. Dude doesn't want you in his thread, with plenty of good reason by now (you're in the hydro grow forums doing nothing but bashing hydro), so get out of it. If you want to start your own discussion on structured water, or anything else for that matter, absolutely nobody is stopping you. Quit being an antagonistic jerk and polluting someone else's thread. Why not try making a supportive/helpful post regarding the way you grow, rather than attacking everything someone else is doing? One more post in this thread and you can expect to be reported, for what little that is surely worth to you.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I see a lot of dogma in this thread, coming from both sides of the spectrum... So here are a few corrections for everyone's knowledge:

1. Cloning isn't artificial in any way. Plants in nature get cloned all the time, whether from animals munching on them or the elements breaking them apart. Nothing unnatural about cloning, whatsoever.

2. There is nothing inherently artificial about hydroponic plant growth. This happens in nature all over the world... Plants will grow in the cracks of a cliff side being fed by runoff water from the nearby creek which has dissolved salts in it. Nothing unnatural about this whatsoever.

3. Properly grown plants in either method will be indistinguishable from the other method. Fact. There are numerous double-blind taste tests that have been performed on this very matter. Organic methods done correctly are indistinguishable from hydroponic methods done correctly. Any differences imply a mistake made somewhere, OR, the usage of amendments that impart their own flavors or aromas (such as carbohydrate loads, for instance). At that point, the differences are subjective, and not that one is better than the other.

4. Hydroponic methods are neither easy nor difficult.

5. Organic methods are neither easy nor difficult.

6. People tend to proselytize their own beliefs, methods, philosophies, and inclinations.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
You are adversarial and ignorant (more like stupid) with the various challenges and comments you make

No one cares that you are not impressed

No time for you

GO AWAY

Perhaps Buddyy doesn't believe in "structured water"

I've never heard or paid any attention to the idea if I've ever heard of it.

I could see a magnetic field being used with a possibility of trying to remove some metals from your tap water and that's it.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Here are a couple plants I've been growing in 3.5 gallon buckets

picture.php

picture.php

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I also grow in bucket/totes using only aero stones, but mostly for seedlings and starting clones

The problem with keeping it for mature plants (yours looks great) is emptying/replacing nutes as you have to remove the plant to do so

T

thesloppy

The problem with keeping it for mature plants (yours looks great) is emptying/replacing nutes as you have to remove the plant to do so

I have the same problem with my 5-gal DWC buckets....as long as you have an identical empty bucket nearby to swap the plant/root system into while you change the res it's not too much of a hassle....but like you say you still have to move it out of the tent/space at the very least. Someone on these forums whom I can't remember (bless you anonymous person) recommended a battery operated liquid transfer pump, and I picked one up a few weeks ago. I'd never thought of such a thing, though it seems obvious now, for aquariums/gas-tanks/etc, and it works pretty good...it's not exactly a scientific grade tool, you still have to shift the bucket lid over enough to stick this guy in, and it's not setting any speed records, but it seems safer than moving your plants & buckets all over the place when they get large.

There's a few options/models at Amazon if anybody's interested (search: terapump), but this is the one I use, and the stem is the perfect length for a 5-gallon bucket. Plastic stem goes in plant bucket straight up, and the flexible tube drains into another tub/bucket for easier dumping:

31kT0Hvv%2BML._AC_UL115_.jpg

http://amzn.com/B00APU2XIC

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
you don't have to remove it (the plant). You can add by top feeding/ pouring the nutes through the hydroton, which helps to encourage root growth too. Or you just pop the bucket lid off and slide it to the side. Once roots are WELL established you can grab the plant by the stem and lift it right out of the bucket with out causing any damage.

T

thesloppy

I'm probably a bit overly cautious moving mine around....though mine are in a pretty tiny cabinet in my closet, and once I tie a screen on them it's just an endless parade of knocking them into corners, edges, doors, other screens, my knees, whatever.

Yodaweed

Hi PetFlora, nice to see you again, I remember you from the other forum. Anyways your setup looks pretty dope, congrats man keep that clean and you will be set bro! Good luck with your endeavors.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi PetFlora, nice to see you again, I remember you from the other forum. Anyways your setup looks pretty dope, congrats man keep that clean and you will be set bro! Good luck with your endeavors.

Welcome and from which site?

Yeah I got it down pretty well now, but thinking maybe to put a filter sticking out of each sealed tote cover for some kind of degassing between feedings

What do you think. May be something, may be nothing.. anybody?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
for the almost 2000 of you 'lurking' DAMN, where are your questions?

I'm providing real time proof as to how simple hydro CAN BE. All you need to do is follow my easy-peasy steps

You will likely double your yield by the second go round, and from then on!

Isn't that worth rethinking how to grow??????????????

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
For me, the extra yields from hydro was just a bonus... My primary reason for going hydro was laziness. I'm quite lazy when it comes to my spare time, because I work so much and do so much in general. With hydroponics, if you choose the right system, there is very little real work. I even stopped using media that I had to wash or mix in any way, in favor of rockwool cubes. Flood and drain is hands down the easiest method with the least amount of prep work required. It's more of an initial expense when setting up, but then that's it. From then on you are only buying media and nutes. Cleaning the tables and reservoirs is pretty easy, but when I'm feeling lazy, I just recirculate bleach through them and then drain.

So. Freaking. Easy.

It almost feels like I'm cheating the system on most days. :D

jesbuds

Feel the same with my hydro, I can leave for a week and know the plants will be fine, feels like my plants should be worse off but nope, they do just fine without me :).

The only reason I even have potted plants right now is due to space but they do get on my nerves with having to water them haha.

Yodaweed

Welcome and from which site?

Yeah I got it down pretty well now, but thinking maybe to put a filter sticking out of each sealed tote cover for some kind of degassing between feedings

What do you think. May be something, may be nothing.. anybody?

RIU, my hydro system has a pipe that sits off the side, not sure if it helps gassing but it shows the water level.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Stupidly, I lifted the lid to smell for stale air.

Doh:wallbash:, I pulled the roots from the stones.

Fortunately, the plant is ok this morning

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Stupidly, I lifted the lid to smell for stale air.

Doh:wallbash:, I pulled the roots from the stones.

Fortunately, the plant is ok this morning

You do know that with a flood and drain system, even if you have a lid on it, when the tote fills with water it displaces/pushes out the volume of air and when the water drains back it pulls air back into the tote.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You do know that with a flood and drain system, even if you have a lid on it, when the tote fills with water it displaces/pushes out the volume of air and when the water drains back it pulls air back into the tote.

Hmmm. The lids are pretty air tight, aside from the 3" net pot filled with coco coir. When the tote is 'flooded (not completely ~ 3" of clearance remains) How would drain back in an essentially closed system reintroduce 'fresh' air... and is it needed?

Aha, I do have a large cylinder air stone in each rez. I keep it near the input side of the water pump. I will try setting the pump on a 4" disc in hopes of drawing more fresh air into the tote/roots during floods

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Hmmm. The lids are pretty air tight, aside from the 3" net pot filled with coco coir. When the tote is 'flooded (not completely ~ 3" of clearance remains) How would drain back in an essentially closed system reintroduce 'fresh' air... and is it needed?

Aha, I do have a large cylinder air stone in each rez. I keep it near the input side of the water pump. I will try setting the pump on a 4" disc in hopes of drawing more fresh air into the tote/roots during floods

It creates a pressure on the air (high and low), thus the water pushes and pulls the air as the water level rises and falls with in the container.

If you want to add more air to you F&D totes, put an air stone in there that is on the same timer as your water pump(s)