What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pinkie Pie

bf80255

Here are some pics of the trays of the other lines from different angles, thrips are beggining to attack, also some males developing within those populations.

005.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

bf80255

Went and picked up a few totes at costco and some roots organic formula 707 as well as some FFOF filled 1 with FFOF and the other 2 with roots organic. Finally got around to transplanting everybody except the pure A1 (last pic) A little rough but thats the way they like it ;)

will be culling maes from these populations in 2 or 3 days.

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

024.jpg

bf80255

Culling Culling and more Culling
lots of slow starters, weak growers and males mixed in with my studs so today I ran through and destroyed a bunch of them, I also did a semi transplant and moved around the remaining girls to allow more room for root development and all that good stuff.

1/2 of the males from each group were put into 1 gallon pots and put aside for later selection while the others were tossed to the ground to dry in the summer sun.

001.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

bf80255

about 17 female TD X PPF4
17 female A1 X B1 F6
still culling males and weak plants from the A1 F5 pure, the B1 F5 pure and the B1 F6 pure

bf80255

i'm not into auto's but man that shit looks awesome dude.

preciate it bro :)

strong and vigorous males have been separated into these 1 gallon pots to produce a bit of pollen in order for me to push forward to the next generation. the F5 A1 and F5 B1 will be pollinated by the B1 x A1 F6 and B1 F6 males respectively rather than by males within their own populations.

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

bf80255

105 degrees!!!!
these little dudes needed a second watering by noon! there soldiering through like the little monsters they are tho :)
here are the totes from a couple different angles.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

bf80255

first picture is the tray of A1-1 ive yet to transplant ( males will be culled today)
second is a pretty little A1-1 male
then a female A1-1
and finally the last 2 pics are of the B1-1 tote

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice trays! We do styro cups (recycled), then cull/transplant/sequester. Looks like a good project. Keep up the work.

bf80255

Nice trays! We do styro cups (recycled), then cull/transplant/sequester. Looks like a good project. Keep up the work.

thank you :) when you plant in the styro do you plant multiple beans per cup or just 1 per?

my normal routine is tray/solo cup (recycled)/1 gallon/ 2-3 if necessary I am trying to make my strain as vigorous and resilient as possible so its a more dummy proof plant to grow, thats why I like lots of transplants.

to all of you guys watching my thread and sending me those positive vibes in the form of your praise, right back at yah ;)

good vibes.jpg

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We do 4oz. styro, 3 per each, labeled (recyclable as well). Easy to cull, transplant in nursery trays.

As you know, 4-5th generation of bx to the original hybrid- selective breeding.

Each backcross provides an opportunity to affect the genetic development of the stabilized hybrid. Instead of choosing the best female of our hybrids, our best male is chosen. Choosing best male (our theory and research/experience of a few decades) is selected for potency and quality of high, ripening time, odor, shape, vigor, et. al for our strains.

Your plan certainly doable...keep on, keeping on! Each plant has subtle nuances- at times, hard to "select". Looks great!

bf80255

We do 4oz. styro, 3 per each, labeled (recyclable as well). Easy to cull, transplant in nursery trays.

As you know, 4-5th generation of bx to the original hybrid- selective breeding.

Each backcross provides an opportunity to affect the genetic development of the stabilized hybrid. Instead of choosing the best female of our hybrids, our best male is chosen. Choosing best male (our theory and research/experience of a few decades) is selected for potency and quality of high, ripening time, odor, shape, vigor, et. al for our strains.

Your plan certainly doable...keep on, keeping on! Each plant has subtle nuances- at times, hard to "select". Looks great!

that's a pretty tried and true method you employ in your program.

what do you mean by 4-5th generation of bx? Do you mean BC4 or BC5 or are you talking about an inbred line taken out to the F4-F5 and then you BC to the original F1 hybrid?

why would you do that? the point of inbreeding is to establish uniformity and stability into a hybrid population for the traits you want to fix right?

do you use ethephon to flip the males first and see what theyre packin? or do you prefer the more traditional method of test crossing to find stud males? or are you suggesting you can eyeball a male and make a proper assessment of female (desired) traits that progeny will inherit from said male?

I see, you shoot for a nice mix of qual's and quant's and breed toward all the goals simultaneously?

Yeah Its A pretty straightforward program from a breeding perspective, for the first 9 or 10 generation I figured I would have to focus on my qualitative traits like (color, flower time, branching, overall uniformity) then once I have a few well documented and established lines (ive got about 6 solid lines from the initial cross at F6) Ill start to really make Pinkie something to covet when I put in another 10 generations of selection towards my quantitative traits like (yield, terpene profile, vigor etc.)

thanks for your input BTW I am always interested in conversing with a fellow breeder :)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
do you use ethephon to flip the males first and see what theyre packin? or do you prefer the more traditional method of test crossing to find stud males? or are you suggesting you can eyeball a male and make a proper assessment of female (desired) traits that progeny will inherit from said male?

We take the long generational approach with selective traits....hence our method of breeding.

Everyone has their own methods. Ours works....and have those that appreciate time/efforts.

Your project will reap you goodness as well.

bf80255

We take the long generational approach with selective traits....hence our method of breeding.

Everyone has their own methods. Ours works....and have those that appreciate time/efforts.

Your project will reap you goodness as well.

Cool, that's very reassuring to hear from someone with as much growing experience as yourself.

Crazy ass weather this week, that super hot 106 degree day was followed by rain and high winds and now were creeping back up into the 90-100 degree range again but all my plants seem to be doing well thus far.

So far all the TD X PPF4 are green (bud), about 1/3 of the A1XB1 are purple, 1/2 the A1 are purple, 1/2 the B1F5 are purple, this will change as they get older and many begin to develop the darker flower time colors.

Even with 5 solid generations of selection towards this single trait I have not managed to make it breed 100% true for it yet, which really makes me question any breeder that would be willing to release a strain with only 3 or 4 gens to stabilize traits, like many of the seed companies I see today.

bf80255

the A1 tray has an individual in it that has begun to express the pink pistil trait, no other plants have shown pink yet.

some shots of the A1 tray and B1 tote, doing well.

003.jpg

008.jpg

013.jpg

010.jpg

001.jpg

bf80255

the 3 big totes are still growing well, no pink pistils yet but many plants are starting to develop color in the buds. 2 or 3 more weeks of flowering and then Ill pollinate select females with my remaining stud males.

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

bf80255

One of the "Pink Different" (pinkie Pie F4A1 X Think Different) has begun to express the pink pistil trait giving me more clues as to the patterns of dominance and recessiveness in her genome but certainly asking more questions than have been answered, I dont want to speculate until Ive gotten the line more stable and have done more test crossing but I am starting to form some strong theories.

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

001.jpg

bf80255

Just as I had suspected, found another intersex female in the TD X PPA1 tote (all 3 intersex females have come from this line) Was able to remove it before it opened up any balls but I spread it open a bit for picture taking purposes.

Finding hermis is a good thing, I dont want this trait around in my lines so I stress the fuck out of all my girls and cull with rigorous standards I have an absolute zero tolerance policy for hermis.

with only my outcrossed line exhibiting intersex traits in females so far I am starting to think thats coming from the TD because my pure pinkies have yet to exhibit the signs of hermaphroditism/intersex in even a single plant so far.

005.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

006.jpg

bf80255

Fuckin dogs knocked over my B1-F5 tote, they all got buried under soil and I had to reset them into the tote but they dont seem much worse for ware. I also removed 5 weak plants from that tote (under performing females)

I also had to transplant all my A1 tray because one of my little bastards was chewing on the fan leaves of my select pink pistil plant so I put them in groups of 2 and 3 into 1 gallon pots.

Pulled 2 females from the F6 B1 tote that seemed to be non autoflowering this is the first time ive observed non autos in my lines since the F2. (dogs also destroyed those hahaha) (last pic)

this A1 F5 plant perfectly exemplifies what I am trying to achieve with pinkie pie, a highly resinous autoflower that has pink pistils and goes purple regardless of temps. Ill be breeding her to an F5 A1 (purple) male and hopefully the A line should be really close to completion with the F6 progeny from those 2

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg