What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mosaic Virus in Cannabis pics

It appears some of you are in the dark or unable to grasp the concept that this Mosaic virus which is kicking many asses out there in the cannabis realm is real!

Doing some research into the fact that this was the first virus ever discovered in the 19th century and yes it's still alive and kicking today,,,being spread around from grow to grow simply because so many numbskulls want to remain stupid!

It is easy to distinguish from ph swings and nute deficiencies and insect damage, but yet many continue to breed sick plants and spread the disease to others via seed stock,or infected cuts..

Failure to learn the symptoms will result in a widespread and wholesale spread of this nasty ass disease...

Here is some details about it for starters..

Tobacco Mosaic Virus

Tobacco mosaic virus (TMV) has been at the center of virus research since its discovery over a hundred years ago. TMV was the first virus to be discovered. Late in the 19th century, researchers found that a tiny infectious agent, too small to be a bacterium, was the cause of a disease of tobacco plants. It then took 30 years of work before the nature of this mysterious agent became apparent. In a Nobel-prize-winning study, Wendell Stanley coaxed the virus to form crystals, and discovered that it was composed primarily of protein. Others quickly discovered that there was also RNA in the virus. Then, many prominent structural researchers (including J. D. Bernal, Rosalind Franklin, Ken Holmes, Aaron Klug, Don Caspar, and Gerald Stubbs) used X-ray diffraction and electron microscopy to probe the structure of the virus.
A Helical Virus

Several structures of the whole tobacco mosaic virus are available in the PDB, including the ground-breaking one solved by X-ray fiber diffraction (shown here from PDB entry 2tmv), and a recent structure solved by analysis of many electron micrographs (PDB entry 2om3). The virus is composed of one strand of RNA (shown in red) wrapped inside a sheath of protein (shown in blue). The protein coat is composed of about 2130 copies of a small protein, which stack like bricks in a cylindrical chimney. The RNA strand encodes four proteins, which together orchestrate the life cycle of the virus. These include two proteins that replicate the viral RNA, a protein that transports the RNA from cell to cell, spreading the infection, and the capsid protein seen in the PDB structures.
TMV Infection

Tobacco mosaic virus is very stable, so stable that it can survive for years in cigars and cigarettes made from infected leaves. The viral RNA is infectious by itself, but the addition of a protein coat protects the RNA from enzymes that would destroy it. The protein coat poses a problem, however: it must be removed once the virus gets inside a cell. TMV uses two tricks to release its RNA. As with many viruses, TMV has a chemical switch that causes the protein to change when the environment changes. The capsid protein has several clusters of acidic amino acids that are stable outside of cells, where calcium levels are high, but repel one another in the low-calcium conditions inside cells. This is enough to loosen the first few capsid proteins, releasing the end of the RNA. TMV then uses ribosomes as the engines to finish the job. As the ribosomes move down the strand, creating the first set of virus proteins, they displace the remaining capsid proteins.

I will post pictures to help you to ID the multiple symptoms that are prevalent as the plant has the virus spread via protein manipulation..

Many times it will appear the plant is healthy to the untrained eye...

picture.php

The chlorophyll has blistered and is damaged throughout the fan leaves,this is due to the protein replication,this will go on to totally bleach out only a week or two into flower,as it cannot handle the lumens from the lighting and burns up..

This is where many seem to think they did something wrong!

It's not the grower it's a symptom...

picture.php

picture.php

The pics above are later in veg ..

These symptoms are but one of many as the disease progresses it goes through stages and each stage will have varying symptoms.
If you have a stress free environment the symptoms may not appear until into flowering.
Stress is what makes the symptoms appear and surface quickly.

Early on in the first 45 days from a seedling you may have a sudden halt in healthy growth and suddenly you find the nodes have yellowed,dried up and are stunted..

Attachments

• IMG_4705.jpg
    IMG_4705.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4703.jpg
    IMG_4703.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4702.jpg
    IMG_4702.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 74
Growth at this point is slowed to a crawl and the plant takes on a real unhealthy appearance.
It may take weeks for it to overcome this state and move on..

Here is where many make the mistake of feeling it was a result of an error on their part
and they have recovered,so they move on..

All the while they are handling their plants,taking cuts etc...and infecting their whole garden..

As you move forward to the flowering stage,,,
you may have a successful harvest with a minimal or unnoticeable amount of repercussions due to the virus,,,and you take cuts .

If they are lucky enough to root ,you will see them quickly twist up,get dry leathery textured vegetation and go into shock...

see this pic from another member here....

Attachments

• curledleafmargins.jpg
    curledleafmargins.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 84

rocket high

Veteran
Good info very indepth post wandering roman.
Ive never had this virus but if i do then i know to just bin them a.s.a.p.
It's good someone's willing to share this info ;)

Later in flower two symptoms may occur.

1). most vegetation that is exposed to light bleaches out and is utterly destroyed within the initial 14 days of 12 hour photoperiod.

2). The virus goes full on and stunts the growth of floral production and prevents any resin production almost completely...

The growth takes on a brown and yellowish hue and is coated in a powdery sheen which is very unique..

I do not have pics of the burnt ,bleached leaves as I deleted all of them,,but will present some very soon.

I do however have the latter symptoms..

This death of the floral production usually always starts at the bottom and will progress it's way upward,consuming all hope of any successful harvest.

Attachments

• IMG_4694-1.jpg
    IMG_4694-1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4701-1.jpg
    IMG_4701-1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4688-1.jpg
    IMG_4688-1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4689-1.jpg
    IMG_4689-1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 67
1). most vegetation that is exposed to light bleaches out and is utterly destroyed within the initial 14 days of 12 hour photoperiod.

This symptom is easily identified by the first pics I have posted at the top...

it is all but assured that the bleaching will occur and a lost harvest once you see this happen as the chlorophyll is permanently damaged and rendered useless.

Another common symptom that may present itself at any time,but primarily in veg,,is the twisted contorted leaf..

This has always been accompanied by a chlorophyll discoloration localized to that leaf in the twisted vicinity...

picture.php

picture.php

It's very serious virus for commercial agriculture farmers and horticulturists. I learned about Tospoviruses in my Olericulture class. Once a plant is infected, you must remove the infected plant completely as soon as symptoms appear or it will spread to your other plants and you won't even know it. Don't waste time in hoping it will disappear on its own. Don't try to just prune the infected part of the plant. The whole thing, just rip it out and throw it away.

In addition, the virus spread by a vector insect called thrips. But they also known as corn lice and maybe some other common names depending on where you live. So it very important not only to keep you garden clean of debris, but your whole house, front yard and backyard as well. Thrips can be killed by incesticides. Some people have tried using natural predators of thrips to kill them, but those results can have varying success.

Last edited:
That was a very nice C99 gal that was infected by a Blueberry x NL batch of seedlings which were under suspicion and my suspicions were correct...

Everything must be destroyed fully and sterilization of every and all areas is mandated.

Not one bug is allowed to live,,,and I'm talking about every damned fungus gnat,spider mites,thrips etc....

The best disinfectant is Calcium hypochlorite or pool shock treatment.....
usually a granular formula that is cheap and maximizes all sterilization of tough
protein type viruses,,,,this virus will live and spread from the smallest particle of
dried leaf vegetation on the floor,,,,how many grow rooms have this ?

It will live for years in this dried form....

If that doesn't give you an indication of what you are up against then I feel you may
quit any hopes of a successful grow if you experience this virus.

Do NOT dispose of the infected plant matter in any area around your home or garden,,,it will infect all your vegetables as quick as it did your herb.

also a note on mixing HTH pool shock for example,,this is 50% calcium hypochlorite ,,you may find it up to 75% if you shop around..

Do not mix it with water and breathe the fumes it creates ,it is very detrimental to your health w/o massive air ventilation..

I use it to scrub all surfaces and flush out all hydroponic systems,,,

5 gallon buckets filled with this shock and water will be great for sterilizing all pots,utensils,net pots, trays etc....

It's very serious virus for commercial agriculture farmers and horticulturists. I learned about Tospoviruses in my Olericulture class. Once a plant is infected, you must remove the infected plant completely as soon as symptoms appear or it will spread to your other plants and you won't even know it. Don't waste time in hoping it will disappear on its own. Don't try to just prune the infected part of the plant. The whole thing, just rip it out and throw it away.

In addition, the virus spread by a vector insect called thrips. But they also known as corn lice and maybe some other common names depending on where you live. So it very important not only to keep you garden clean of debris, but your whole house, front yard and backyard as well. Thrips can be killed by incesticides. Some people have tried using natural predators of thrips to kill them, but those results can have varying success.

I would like to thank both of you for your input and compliments ...

Yes it is very easily spread via vectors...

Vectors are your hands,scissors,razor blades,pots ,or anything that may make contact with the roots and then touch another plant organism,,via foliage or roots...

Examples I have personally experienced over the years with this virus...

Hydroponic res.....

Any shared res will infect all plants that are in it within hours via the roots,,,once a cycle takes place and the solution is shared and makes contact with all roots,,,it's over ! they are all infected.

Used soil with any residual roots from a suspect plant will infect anything it comes in contact with,,roots of infected plants are highly contagious with regards to transmission.

Insects!!

The biggest vector of all....

Fungus gnats and spider mites will spread it so quick it will make your head spin...

A fungus gnat will lay it's larvae,,they will consume,ingest infected plant roots and mature pupae into a now mobile adult with wings..

Guess what? it carries this virus now in it's body and lays eggs on your rapid rooter plugs,rock wool cubes, hydroton they munch on the roots and the virus spreads to other rooms and propagation stages altogether..

Maybe now you see how serious this is????:tiphat:

I would like to thank both of you for your input and compliments ...

Yes it is very easily spread via vectors...

Vectors are your hands,scissors,razor blades,pots ,or anything that may make contact with the roots and then touch another plant organism,,via foliage or roots...

Examples I have personally experienced over the years with this virus...

Hydroponic res.....

Any shared res will infect all plants that are in it within hours via the roots,,,once a cycle takes place and the solution is shared and makes contact with all roots,,,it's over ! they are all infected.

Used soil with any residual roots from a suspect plant will infect anything it comes in contact with,,roots of infected plants are highly contagious with regards to transmission.

Insects!!

The biggest vector of all....

Fungus gnats and spider mites will spread it so quick it will make your head spin...

A fungus gnat will lay it's larvae,,they will consume,ingest infected plant roots and mature pupae into a now mobile adult with wings..

Guess what? it carries this virus now in it's body and lays eggs on your rapid rooter plugs,rock wool cubes, hydroton they munch on the roots and the virus spreads to other rooms and propagation stages altogether..

Maybe now you see how serious this is????:tiphat:

Absolutely. Hopefully someone will sticky this thread because viruses like Tospovirus are spreading faster than plant biologists, plant genetists and horticulturists can identify and track how and where they are spreading. In addition, these viruses are expanding the number of biological hosts that act as their vectors to attack gardens regardless if they are indoor or outdoor.

oldog

Respect ! I remember saying to someone - this thing is called weed because it is tough and they said that we had bred the toughness
out to get a higher weed and that is why weed is difficult to grow indoors.
The seeds that do best are the cheap freebies. They are 50%
bigger than the big famous brand seeds after 4 weeks.

K I S S

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
I have noticed that Blueberry dominant plants are more prone to this.

At the same time, if they get infected after a root system has been developed they can somehow rebound and flower.

This after several enigmatic episodes with Skunk x Blueberry and Northern Lights x Blueberry.

One thing I did was stopping all feeding until leaves look normal again. I only added a lime/lemon organic compost tea to adjust tab water PH to 6.00

While virus is "active" they are not good processing nutrients and a "fast" seems to make it easy for the plant to withstand the episode.

These are just my observations based on my plants.

burnt out og'er
Veteran
I'd be cautious about trying include the blueberry anomalies as a virus if that's what you're talking about OjoRojo420.
Ime, all the blue strains grow out of the anomaly if given a fighting chance. Not sure I could say the same about a plant virus hitting a sprout.

side note... I'll consider stickying this thread after it sees more discussion and confirmation

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
I'd be cautious about trying include the blueberry anomalies as a virus if that's what you're talking about OjoRojo420.
Ime, all the blue strains grow out of the anomaly if given a fighting chance. Not sure I could say the same about a plant virus hitting a sprout.

side note... I'll consider stickying this thread after it sees more discussion and confirmation

Hello 10K,

Perhaps it would be better if you can take a look at the following pics and help me understand the nature of the problem.

Thank you!

Last edited: