What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Reverse Osmosis—Water Treatment...faq...fyi-links

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
A Reverse osmosis system passes impure water through a semi-permeable membrane and removes many of the impurities (approximately 90+ percent free of mineral and biological contaminants).
The quality of the membrane and the pressure of the water help determine how effectively the water separates the contaminants.

Reverse osmosis (RO) units remove substantial amounts of most inorganic chemicals (such as salts, metals and minerals), most microorganisms and many organic chemicals.

Mechanical filters and activated carbon filters are most always used with an RO unit.
First, the mechanical filter removes dirt, sediment and other impurities that clog the reverse osmosis membrane.
The RO unit is installed next.
An activated carbon filter then removes some organic compounds which pass through the RO unit. Nitrates, however, will pass through carbon filters.

Reverse osmosis units use large amounts of water. Typically, about 75 percent or more of the water put into RO units is discarded with the contaminants.
These systems may not be appropriate for households with a limited water supply.

Regular testing of the water supply is necessary to make sure the membrane is intact.

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/burema/gesein/abhose/abhose_068.cfm http://www.cce.cornell.edu/factsheets/wq-fact-sheets/fact4.htm
http://gardenline.usask.ca/plants/ppwater.html

G

chuck that ph up and down and get one already!

2076RO1-med.jpg

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
There may be better buys out there...these seem to be good values :)

There may be better buys out there...these seem to be good values :)

3 stage system @ a fair enough price

5-Stage Reverse Osmosis System with TDS Monitor (Digital Pocket TDS meter)

Premier 2 stage under counter

I run one of these R.O. units straight into a 55 gallon barrel with your basic Stainless steel/plastic toilet float device cutoff in it, from there to the self topping nutrient resevoirs. ( to an outside veggie garden...no really.. )

A good peice of equipment is a Trough-O-Matic Float Valve...
Features a rugged plastic case. Expansion brackets are included to fit wide rimmed stock tanks. Unique floating valve automatically shuts off water flow when pre-set water level is reached Trough-O-Matic

:)

Last edited:

Hooked-On-Grown

Veteran
I.M. Boggled......Thanks for all the great info you have been putting up. I thought my water was bad at 300ppm. I was thinking of buying one and like your idea with the float valve.

Great info!!

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
These are some nice float valves here...

These are some nice float valves here...

http://www.thevalveshop.com/menu/manual/kerick/mfloat.html

Stainless steel and plastic construction of these valves are suitable for use in acidic hydroponic solution enviroments if desired. As you probaly know, the usual suspect brass ones are not desirable in a hydro systems nute tanks (or even pH down corrected barrels of water). :)

Last edited:
G

Same IM Boggled, I think i've read through every single one of your posts. very informative - please keep them coming

Hooked-On-Grown

Veteran
yes yes
Me and friendlyfriend were just talking about you. It's nice to have someone bring in some very useful and interesting info!!

Keep em coming!!

G

RO water - It's the only way to go for me

Plants seem to love it.
Also you can't beat it for $16 per month...........

BuzzBob

aka Buzz'dBob
Veteran
Hey Boggled! -- :wave:

I think you know that I read your posts, as I have responded to several... Please do keep up your efforts!

I like those Valve Shop floats too! Shoot! At like $7/ea for a nice adjustable float, I may order like three of 'em! :)

As for RO Filters... I should probably do that too, but will have to wait a bit. My water is relatively good {250ppm} compared to yours. But the dang city adds flouride, and other crap. I have found that plants really don't like my stuff! Any idea if ROs will remove flouride?

-BuzzBob

I was JUST going to post about this amazing water filter I got.

berkywater.com

get the 199$ special without the led unless you need a nightlight. we have tried a few water filters and I will NEVER use another one. there are no moving parts with this unit, so it CAN"T break down. we use it for drinking AND our plants and we couldn't be happier. I dont' work for them.

this will purifiy your water as good or better than any RO and probably a lot less hassle.

thanks for starting this thread!

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Reverse Osmosis...

Reverse Osmosis...

...is effective at removing fluorides from water.
"In most cases, 95% of the minerals, salts and other inorganic dissolved solids, such as metals, fluoride, sodium, and calcium is removed by RO systems."
R.O....FAQ...

The berkey system linked above is not a Reverse Osmosis unit, but a sophisticated ceramic filter/ filtration system.
It for instance does not remove fluorides... although with an optional filter it will reduce levels...("PF- 4 Reduction Filter Elements: Reduces Fluoride, MTBE, and Heavy Metals such as Lead and Arsenic (These post filters attach to the Super Sterasyl™ Elements").

Last edited:

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Very nice R.O. systems can be had for under 150 dollars U.S. .
Some lesser, not as nice systems without pressurized bladder holding tanks can be had under 100 dollars over at aquarium supply sites.
Ebays has got some great deals also. Personally, I like and use a brand called "Premier.
These R.O.units are very much a no brainer to install, very easy.

I hope you enjoy your filtration unit, I bet the water tastes good after it's been filtered, after all it's the minerals in water that gives it it's flavor.
You have a good day.

Last edited:

King

Got my RO system off Ebay for $90 (6-stage), included a De-ionizer filter, 110 gallons per day. 210PPM out of the tap, 009PPM out of the RO filter. :) 5 minutes on the install including a float valve in the reservoir. I couldn't be happier. My fish and plants couldn't be happier either.

pseudochile, what's your PPM before and out of that filter you have? I can't imagine it doing nearly the job a real RO filter could do. Like I.M. Boggled said, it won't remove everything that could be removed from your water.

Also, moving parts in an RO? MY RO doesn't have any moving parts. Don't know what you're talking about there.

And hassle? Don't you have to get water into the filter you have somehow(carry, pour)? Each and everytime you want clean water?

Did you know a RO ejects most of the particles & crap it removes? Does that berkley do that? Or does it just filter the water back over the removed dirty particles again and again and again? ;)