What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Shelf Life of Edibles

Betterhaff

Veteran
Recently I found some infused brownies in the freezer and also some chocolates in the fridge that were made a while ago. It got me thinking, how long do these kind of things keep regarding there cannabinoid components?

They aren’t ancient but the brownies were probably made 4 – 5 years ago and the chocolates about half that long. I’m sure being in the freezer helped some but still wondering if there is much degradation going on. I tried both and they had some affect but I can’t remember much about what they were like fresh and I don’t make them very strong anyway.

Oh, and the brownies were wrapped in cellophane, froze, and then vacuum sealed. The brownies themselves (the brownie part) were just like they were made yesterday.

Any information or thoughts.

DrDee

Hey Betterhaff,
I saw nobody responded to your query. Perhaps most folks are like me...nothing ever lasts very long in my house.

But Dude...you are in the perfect situation for a test. Eat some of those brownies and give us a report.
JD

Gry

I would expect the potency to have been very close to what it was when you put it in the freezer.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Hey Betterhaff,
I saw nobody responded to your query. Perhaps most folks are like me...nothing ever lasts very long in my house.

But Dude...you are in the perfect situation for a test. Eat some of those brownies and give us a report.
JD
I have a big freezer and sometimes things get lost. Thank you dragging this query up
And gry you are right, they were very good (maybe it was the brownies).

But my question still is; how long is the longevity of desirable cannabinoids when frozen in edibles?

ps. Just got my first mosquito bite of the year.

DrDee

Back a decade ago when a had a good sized garden I made canna butter from all my cuttings. Then it went into snickerdoodles. Perfect cookie, firm so they don't crumble and lots of butter in the recipe...and a really cool name. Longest any of them survived was close to a year and they were just as potent then.

I did make some "tequila verde" which lasted a year with no deterioration. But your 5 year test is better then mine.

I grew up in Minnesota so I know all about mosquitoes. I live on the coast now and the sea air keeps them away. :dance013:
Cheers,
JD