What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

YOGURT CUP CHALLENGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
shit just got real....
Nah son...check in tomorrow....shits about to get...realer... ???
Are you trying to intimidate us new breeders? So mean!!!

But guess what....
mooning.gif

....it doesn't work!
nanana.gif

5th

Veteran
Well that was a bust.

I ran into an old grow bro the other day. Said he was updating his grow room and asked me if I wanted a bunch of seedlings.

I figured if they were just gonna go to waste...trim the roots n' stick 'em in yogurt cups.

Then he told me he was re-doing his room because of mites...so I declined the offer. lol. Who the fuck offers contaminated shit to their boys?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well that was a bust.

I ran into an old grow bro the other day. Said he was updating his grow room and asked me if I wanted a bunch of seedlings.

I figured if they were just gonna go to waste...trim the roots n' stick 'em in yogurt cups.

Then he told me he was re-doing his room because of mites...so I declined the offer. lol. Who the fuck offers contaminated shit to their boys?

gift horse.... mouth.... etc.
bummer 5th....

i've got a couple seedlings breaking the surface... poking holes in my yogi cups in preparation....

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Update: Day 24

Update: Day 24

Now here's the unfortunate update at day 24: The tow remaining seedlings from the first batch turned out to be males or at least 'nearly males'...
See for yourself: Pic 1 is the top of plant #1 showing what seems to be male flowers, pic 2 the same but now you can see the bizarre male flowers showing each a single pistil. Pic 3 is a close-up of these 'things' and pic 4 is the top of plant #2.

The plants from the second batch are catching up and the males there should show sex in about two days. Then I will repot some females into their improved yogi cups (see next post).

Attachments

• Finola Yogurt Cup Day 24 A.jpg
    Finola Yogurt Cup Day 24 A.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Finola Yogurt Cup Day 24 B.jpg
    Finola Yogurt Cup Day 24 B.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Finola Yogurt Cup Day 24 C.jpg
    Finola Yogurt Cup Day 24 C.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Finola Yogurt Cup Day 24 D.jpg
    Finola Yogurt Cup Day 24 D.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 41

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Improved yogi cups 'à la faisselle'

Improved yogi cups 'à la faisselle'

I thought that I feel threatened after all and that it's time for a counterstrike :D .
I happened to come across some 'faisselle' (a sort of French curd cheese) which is sold in a 'faisselle' (a perforated mold to drain off the whey).
I got some new yoghurt cups, fetched some tools (pic 1) and got to work, put some metal wire on the faisselle (pic 2) and at first perforated the cups 'Hempy bucket style' (pic 3). Then I thought I could/should do better and got me some straws, glue and a cutter to make an easy way of 'water level control and drainage system' (pic 4). The result is on pic 5 and I'll show you the poted plants as soon as I have them ready :D .

Ahh... forgot to say: I have the hope that this 'faisselle thingie' combines only the advantages of soil, hydro, and hempy buckets. I won't do real hydroponics because I have no idea bout that but with the faisselle I can add additional liquid 'superfood' and remove if necessary via the straw, the roots get more air and there's no toxic salt build-up like I've often seen with small pots.

Attachments

• Faisselle 1.jpg
    Faisselle 1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Faisselle 2.jpg
    Faisselle 2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Faisselle 3.jpg
    Faisselle 3.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 35
  • cflscrogcab 9thrun day64f 02 nhxm3 closeup01
    cflscrogcab 9thrun day64f 02 nhxm3 closeup01
    65.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Faisselle 5.jpg
    Faisselle 5.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
L

lemongrove

Hey Double O. I did a yogi cup hempy style last time and I had no toxic build-up. Just water enough each time that a good amount of nutrient solution comes out of the holes; that way you are doing a mini-flush every time you water. I also did a couple of mild nutrient solution flushes while the plant was in flower. No problems.
Of course that all depends of what nutes you are using and at what concentrations. I followed Dyna-Gro's drain to waste nutrient schedule and the plant was healthy from start to finish. Good luck.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
G'day citruscopse and thank you :D
That's exactly what I was thinking of!
I'm basically using plain soil and organic nutrient sources which leaves me with not much of a control over it but also not too much trouble. I'll try to supplement only if necessary by adding some liquid stuff* to the reservoir. Maybe some common garden fert if need be but no special scheme. And surely flushing towards the end; should work even with soil.
* I was thinking about trying sprout tea, coconut water, liquid nettle manure among other things which may pose a problem when added to soil. Big pots with a good soil life may very well tolerate these things but tiny cups are very sensitive to mould, root rot and co.

L

lemongrove

You're going an entirely different route than I went with the soil and organic nutes. The thing that always scares me about some of the organic teas I see people make it always kind of looks like an experiment to me. A little bit of this, a little bit of that and then just see what happens. Doing it that way you don't really know how much nitrogen or other nutrients that you are putting in there. Then you could start having problems and you don't really know what it is. Unless of course if you used this exact formula for your tea in the past with great results.
With such a small container you can't really make a soil mix that would feed your plant for very long so you are going to have to supplement. If there is a tea formula that worked well for you in the past, I don't see why it wouldn't work with a smaller container. Just be sure to feed/flush every time you feed and it should be fine.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
You're absolutely right. For me it is also to see what affects the plants and how.
The 'problem' with many DIY organic fertilisers is that they depend on microbial break-down to make it available to the plant. Small pots tend do have a very poor soil live and that's why they tend to build mould quickly. I think my choice for Finola wasn't that bad cause it needs not that much nutrients and nitrogen as other varieties.
Anyway, that's also why feeding-flushing is not such a good thing for organic growing; some nutrients need more time go become plant available than others and usually these fertilisers are also a long term investment.
You may not see it on the pics but the 'faisselle' has 100 grams whereas the yogi cup has a 150. The empty space between the two serves as reservoir so that I can add and remove perishable solutions via the straw without touching the soil ;) .

L

lemongrove

I like the design a great deal and I'm eager to see how it works for you.
When I said to feed/flush it was so the salts wouldn't build up. I'm suggesting you feed/flush with your full strength nutrient solution to wash out excess salts and to also have fresh nutrient solution in your cup. I'm not suggesting you use a weaker solution or even just water to flush out your cups. The roots will probably grow down into your reservoir and feed off the nutrient solution in the reservoir. It appears from the photo that the inner cup has holes in the bottom of the cup and if that is the case, roots will get down into the reservoir.
Again it's a nice design and hope it works well for you.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
I like the design a great deal and I'm eager to see how it works for you.
When I said to feed/flush it was so the salts wouldn't build up. I'm suggesting you feed/flush with your full strength nutrient solution to wash out excess salts and to also have fresh nutrient solution in your cup. I'm not suggesting you use a weaker solution or even just water to flush out your cups. The roots will probably grow down into your reservoir and feed off the nutrient solution in the reservoir. It appears from the photo that the inner cup has holes in the bottom of the cup and if that is the case, roots will get down into the reservoir.
Again it's a nice design and hope it works well for you.
I'm wondering too how it goes...
Now I see what you mean with the feed/flush; thanks for the tip!!
You're correct, it has holes in the bottom and I count on the roots to grow down to the reservoir. Else, the whole thing would be pointless :D .

L

lemongrove

You could do this hempy style by not using an inner cup, like I did in the last yogi cup challenge. Drill holes, I drilled four around the perimeter about 1/8th of an inch(.3cm) in size and about an inch and half(3.8cm) up from the bottom, fill the cup with media, I used rockwool, and you still have your reservoir at the bottom. It's not an empty reservoir but media constantly saturated in nutrient solution, kind of like a wet sponge. It worked fine for me; I got 15 grams dry out of it.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Appreciate your propositions though for one thing I have a real compost in my garden and for another I'm not doing 100% liquid nutrient feeding (don't like it, don't know how, don't care either :D ) so real hempy buckets are no option. Additionally, I don't know how well my seed/fibre hemp plants would like this hydroponic approach...

L

lemongrove

When I'm talking to you about your liquid feeding I'm talking about your teas. You're growing fibre hemp plants? Is that what you are growing for this yogurt cup challenge?

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Ahh.. sorry, misunderstood you. I'm not too familiar with pure organic liquid feeding. For me there was always liquid fertilisers = inorganic and organic liquids = additional stuff... *g*
Yes, I'm growing Finola, a small Nordic hemp variety, for this challenge :D .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts