What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High blood pressure

cough_cough_eer

Anita Bonghitt
Veteran
Has any one seen any reserch on the effects of marijuana and hypertension? I've serched the WWW,and NORML .

Pro pot sites Basically say that it tempararly raises your blood pressure when you first smoke it but the long term effects brings it back down.

Anti pot sites say it can kill you. give you a heart attack .

My own experience, I tend to believe the pro pot sites, but not sure its just wishful thinking.I would really like to find some good reserch, or others who have experinced the same thing.

ken

weed can increase heart rate & blood pressure temporarily, which in theory can increase the risk of heart attack in sensitive people. the risk is similar to doing some gentle exercise.

G

I'm wondering the same thing. I found out yesterday that my BP was 197/117 and that's funny because 4 months ago it was normal during my physical. I would really like to here from an M.D. what the effects of pot on BP are and how dangerous it could be with that high of a BP reading. I'm on a BP medicine now (can't remember the name) is there any know effects on pot and BP medicines?

If there are any MD's in the house HELP!

Skag

DrJay2001

now at peace
LOL, would you settle for a PhD medical scientist?

Cannabis can produce a transient tachycardia which is, as mentioned, equivalent to mild exercise such as walking a flight of stairs or having sex. This is not trivial in some heart patients and close monitoring is strongly suggested.

The longer term effects of cannabis are to lower blood pressure by say 10-20 points. Patients with hypertension (and 197/117 certainly qualifies) should not rely on cannabis alone to maintain a normal pressure. Cannabis can be used safely with most common antihypertensives. I use cannabis with Avapro and hydrochlorothyazide with no ill effect. I also share all my medication information including cannabis with my physician.

Yours,
Dr. jay

G

Thanks Doc a PhD medical scientist is goood enough for me. This has come at a huge suprise because I've never had any problems other than physical damage (and there's been lots). I found out about this yeserday and was fairly well freaked. I've been on the meds 1 day and the ringing in my ears is gone WOOHOO I hope I'm on the uphill slide again cause I need to get back to work and they won't give me a contract with BP that high.

Skag

cough_cough_eer

Anita Bonghitt
Veteran
10 -20 points

10 -20 points

I'm a very light smoker, but smoke 1-2 hits out of my bong every night , but when I run out and don't smoke for a week or so, my blood pressure gets seriously high, and I end up in the hospital. Happened 3 times over the past 5 years ( I dont run out often:p )
Could it really be becouse I have'nt smoked any pot in a while? :confused: I thought it was coincidental. :rolleyes:

Any thoughts on this would be appricated, as I've been wondering for a long time.

Also, Is there a strain that is better or worse for hyperstension?

DrJay2001

now at peace
It sounds like you have a serious case of hypertension. This is best managed with medication such as a beta blocker, ACE inhibitor etc. Your doc will know the right med for you. Cannabis will keep your pressure lower but I wouldn't rely on it to maintain a consistently normal BP. Personally, I take Avapro and hydrochlorthiazide.

Hypertension isn't called the "silent killer" for nothing. It can produce severe headache, stroke, and cardiac arrest. It is easy treated though. Good luck.

Yours,
Dr. Jay

Slowmoe

health

health

Hi I am 53. I didn't smoke for 14 years, but started again 2 years ago. I found out I had high blood pressure 10 years ago and developed Diabeties 3 years ago. When I started to smoke pot long term my pressure went down a little but hangs around 140/95 which is high limit. What really thru me off was that as soon as I started to smoke again my blood sugar went from 180-200 down to under 100 average ?? It may be a coincidence, but it works for me.
Safe growing to all Slowmoe

cough_cough_eer

Anita Bonghitt
Veteran
Forgot to mention in my last post

Forgot to mention in my last post

I'm 39, female , non tobacco smoker, not on birth control or any other meds.

I treat my blood pressure. my dr. has me on diovan HCT, but personally, I dont think its working as well as it should.(the ringing in my ears is driving me crazy)I took prinivil about 3 or 4 years ago and it worked great, don't know why the doc changed it. right now my pressure stays at about 160/96 give or take.

Thanks for answering my post Dr. Jay.

Slowmoe- If you don't mind me asking, What made you start smoking again after not smoking for 14 years?

Slowmoe

Hello cough_cough_eer

Hello cough_cough_eer

I can't blame anything but my addictive personality. It seems I am always obsessing on something. Am I addicted to ICMAG??? No way I can quit anytime. NOT. Sereously, I was grieving my fathers passing away and I guess I was more vulnerable, needed something to make me feel good and pot still does it for me. I quit because my lungs just couldn't take it anymore and is still hard to smoke anything. The real shit is that I started smoking tobaco again too. I used to smoke cigs but smoke pipe now. I don't smoke a lot of tabaco but any is to much. Hope that answers it. Safe growing to all Slowmoe

cough_cough_eer

Anita Bonghitt
Veteran
yes, IC mag is very addicitive,I'm here almost every morning. I also find growing to be very addictive, more so than smoking. I'm sorry about your fathers passing.

zeppelindood

Captain Expando
Veteran
I was referring to this Cough....

DrJay2001 said:
LOL, would you settle for a PhD medical scientist?

Cannabis can produce a transient tachycardia which is, as mentioned, equivalent to mild exercise such as walking a flight of stairs or having sex. This is not trivial in some heart patients and close monitoring is strongly suggested.

DrJay2001

now at peace
Thanks for clearing that up Zepplinhood. The trick is to not have sex on the stairs while smoking a fatty especially if you have a heart condition. LOL.

Actually, the effects of cannabis on BP either positive or negative are generally trivial UNLESS you are a cardiac patient. If you have heart disease then I'd watch for rapid heart beat and I'd check at home with a BP monitor. I'd also discuss the matter with my cardiologist.

Then I'd go ahead and have sex while walking up the stairs while toking a fatty :) Now where is that fatty? And where is Wifey? and hell I don't have stairs.

Yours,
Dr. jay

G

Thanks for the help DrJay my doc put me on Lisinapril and that has kept the BP to around 130/83. The big problem is I contracted Malaria about 8 years ago and was never able to get rid of it (Primaquin, Larium, and several others) it was only knocked down for a while. What it also did was damage my kidneys and that's what they think is causing the BP problem. So I'm in the hospital this afternoon so they can practice medicine on me.

Been real, been fun, but it aint been real fun

See you on the flip side Skag

zeppelindood

Captain Expando
Veteran
oh Lord Skag.... i have lots of good thoughts for you ~ i take atenol for the heart. i had lyme disese and finally got rid of it after it did a bunch of damage to my heart valves and gave me a nice dose of fybromyalgia to deal with after my aeortic valve replacement at 35. some types of herb are second to none for the extream body pain and nausea that hammers me daily. my cardiologist tells me NO smoking and i agree so i vaporize. every now and then my heart rate kicks up when toking but overall it seems to be cool since it was real low before surgery anyway. hey doc..... what's the best herb you've found for drowning out head to toe body pain? migraine headaches? lower back (l4 and l5) pain? :)

I smoke everyday also and it forsure helps me, although i do have to take my meds for HBP, Clonidine and Verelan PM. they keep it right...120/79 w/o them 179/100..so doc says i need em.
they had shitty side effects at first dizzy, light headed.. all past ina week tho..:p peace everyone stay safe and healthy:p :D :p