What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Klutter's Cure Journal

G

Ok, I'm the first to admit it - I suck at drying/curing... after all the reading I've done and experimenting grow after grow I still blow.

SO... after some chit chat I decided to follow the method of a fellow member (Trichome_Toker) and also create this journal! This will HOPEFULLY end with some fantastic buds and might help some others who face a similar dilemma.

Strain: Blue Mystic
Flower Days: 52 (had to pull her early cause of some 'odd' DEATH - in another thread)

Test: Once dried buds will be split into approx 4 jars
Jar 1: Burped for 10mins daily for 7 days
Jar 2: Burped for 10mins daily for 14 days
Jar 3: Burped for 10mins daily for 21 days
Jar 4: Never burped

Today:
I have cut off ONLY the big fan leaves and left everything else... not my norm but again, my norm sucks ass.

Bud shot:

After cutting and ready to hang

I'll update in 5-7 days as there's not much else to see for now. :)

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
I dried my bud way too fast, lost it's flavor and wasn't as smooth as it could've been. There's more to it than "hang em up, put em in jars"

you forgot the paper bag.. after they hang to what feel's like dry on the outside, they go into paper bag's to pull moisture from within... then after a week or so in the bag opened daily for a few minute's, then they go into jar's...all the time burping until they are ready....good luck...! If I forgot anything someone will chime in and set me straight

G

Betty's Boy said:
you forgot the paper bag.. after they hang to what feel's like dry on the outside, they go into paper bag's to pull moisture from within... then after a week or so in the bag opened daily for a few minute's, then they go into jar's...all the time burping until they are ready....good luck...! If I forgot anything someone will chime in and set me straight

Actually, most of the cats I talked with dont use the paper bag at all.
Up to this post, my previous method was:

Clip all the leaves off I can (big and small)
Hang to dry - usually would take 3-4 days before crunchy and stems would snap
Put in paper bag, burp each day for 5-7 days
Put in jars and burp each day for 7 days then keep closed.

The problem, as you can tell by my thread, is following this EXACTLY would give me jars that smelled like hay, smelled like nothing, or a in some cases a slight fruity smell. NOTHING like what I was used to buying.

And let's remember, when buying bud the general rule of thumb for that grower is quantity not quality (for cash reasons). This means that the shitty street bags I would buy NEVER sat in a curing jar, yet they smelled fantastic. This led me to ask, "If I spend all this time curing in a jar, why can't I get the same smell the guy who doesnt bother curing gets?"...as it just doesnt make sense.

So this journal is to attempt a new method and document it as I go. I went with TT's, who stated over and over again his would take longer drying in the closet but would end up much better in the jars.

Bottom line, we'll see... and I may try another test with the next plant to see if incorporating a paper bag into the mix actually makes a diff. I've read as many "how do I cure" threads but have never seen anyone actually carry out an experiment like this with the process. So we'll see!

Last edited:
G

Plant was left as intact as possible with minimal cutting of branches off main stalk.
Hanging time in closet: 8 days
Signs it was time to take down: stems snapped in half (no bending), smell changed from what it was when cut down (very strong plant smell) to less of a pungent odor.
Joint test: Rolled up a small bud and lit it in joint (per TT's instruction). Took puff and waited 30secs, took a few more puffs and the joint stayed lit. This was key per TT's instruction.

Jar'ed into 4 jars per test.

We are now on Day 1 of the 'jar cure'. All jars smelled identical when opening, a slight hay smell coupled with a lite pot smell. Pretty typical for this early in the cure process. Burped jars 2-3 for 15mins and then put back in dark place - so decided to make Jar 1 the 'never burped' one - just to see if there's any diff.

Last edited:

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Klutter said:
Actually, most of the cats I talked with dont use the paper bag at all.
Up to this post, my previous method was:

Clip all the leaves off I can (big and small)
Hang to dry - usually would take 3-4 days before crunchy and stems would snap
Put in paper bag, burp each day for 5-7 days
Put in jars and burp each day for 7 days then keep closed.

The problem, as you can tell by my thread, is following this EXACTLY would give me jars that smelled like hay, smelled like nothing, or a in some cases a slight fruity smell. NOTHING like what I was used to buying.

Are you expecting the same smell at then end of the 7 days of jar burping as what you buy? (might take longer than this to develop)

Is the weed bone dry at this point? (pretty sure you need some moisture for a cure to work)

How long have you left the jars sit after the 7 days of burping? days? weeks? months? and no change?

Klutter said:
And let's remember, when buying bud the general rule of thumb for that grower is quantity not quality (for cash reasons). This means that the shitty street bags I would buy NEVER sat in a curing jar, yet they smelled fantastic. This led me to ask, "If I spend all this time curing in a jar, why can't I get the same smell the guy who doesnt bother curing gets?"...as it just doesnt make sense.

IMO strain is a big part of this. Just cut 4 strains, did a 2 day fan/carbon scrubber box, into jars. The jars were opened for about 15 mins a day for the first 3 or 4 days. Pretty dry here so each strain/jar was slightly different and was checked for moisture more than a specific time period.

One strain smelled awesome from the moment it was cut, through the 2 days drying and is getting better everyday in the jars.

The other 3 strains went to the kinda hay smelling stage after the 2 day dry box and then started smelling better while they were in the open jar once a day stage and now that the jars stay closed, they are developing a stronger smell.

Each strain has it's own unique smell, none of which smell like pot I've bought, but they definately don't smell like hay.

I would try skipping the bag stage. I always thought that was to get pot to change colors more than change/enhance it's taste/smell.

G

Well since this is a journal it's kinda ongoing. Today is day 1 in the jars, and I certainly do not expect it to have that cured smell only after being jarred for a day.

I'm going to run this journal with weekly updates until I reach the point that 1 of the jars actually smells 'oldskool'. This may take a few weeks or a few months.

I also intend to find 'the proven method', as stated earlier - just cutting them and throwing them into a jar isn't really the complete method.

Yes, they were dry when jar'ed. The member's method I am testing did his this way - he would pull a bud, roll it and light it..if the joint went out then it was too wet. If the joint burned and stayed lit for say 15-20 seconds between drags then it was ready for the jar.

I do also agree with you that it's somewhat strain dependent but that still doesnt answer the basic question:

Commercial grower is growing a high volume bud. He doesnt care about curing because his intent is to sell it. When he does sell it the bud has a 'smell' that all of us look forward to.

Then there's me, a personal grower who has nothing but time and dedication to spend towards developing the perfect home grown bud. Yet, I spend months with jars and bags and dry rooms etc.....all to end up with bud that does NOT smell like the guy who just 'throws it around'.

Seems to me that the less you do with it, the better it smells! hahahah..... so this test will see. I have 1 jar that will NOT be burped, the others will be burped for 7days, 14 days and 21 days (15mins each).

At the end of it all I'll know (from experience) which method works 'best'. Sure, might only be for this strain, but it's a hell of a lot better guidance than I'm getting just surfing around.

Not to mention, this hopefully will motivate others who would just post "What's the best way to cure bud" to hopefully take the initiative to do their own tests. This way we end up with a forum full of tested methods of what works and does not work with a 'journal' like approach.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see the results of this klutter. I hate the hay smell,

and I did the paper bag too.....thinkin that might be a contributing factor. .

G

Ok we are now on Day 7 of the burping.

Jar 1 - Never burped
Jar 2 - Burped 15mins each day, today will be the last 'burp' day
Jar 3 - Burped 15mins each day, will continue for another 7 days
Jar 4 - Burped 15mins each day, will continue for another 14 days

At this time ALL jars smell identical and look identical. A slight sweet aroma with the background smell of plants (probably the chlorophyll smelling, as it just smells like any plant would, not dank aroma).

Nxt update in 7 days!

kovenant

im watchin this one Klutter. great experiment, i look forward to seeing the results. i also am taking a trip to humbolt soon to meet up with a grower (and get a clone of bonano) and get their super-quick cure method. once i get it, ill pass it along to you. supposedly she only cures for 7 days - and she has the dankest aroma to her buds ive ever smelled.

spicecowboy

Great thread, Klutter!

I have exactly the same problem.

Guess there must be a special secret.

My bud usually needs a long time of cure until it gets a dank smelll.

But it´s VERY humid in my area.

Buds won´t dry, only with additional heat/warmth(2 days on the computer screen and they smoke allright)

spice

G

Right on Oblido! Props to you for tracking the cure so well!

What I'm really curious to find out is not only if at 30 days the lovely smell returns and potency increases, but also to see which jar did 'the best'. Each one is having a different burp schedule, with the exception of the 'control' which has not been opened.. I also weighed each one to ensure they were close in contents, so that should keep the test fair.

Only a few more weeks to go! The ones still being burped seem to still have that hay like aroma... not as strong but it's there.

hey klutter... you write that potency increases after some time in the jar.. this is not correct!! The potency of marijuana cannot increase after the plant has been cut!!! But the aroma change.. and the aroma has a big influence on the high!!!

Peace

nice thread klutter,
here's what my (limited) experience taught me in the drying/curing field:
-drying time varies greatly depending on bud size/density and air humidity.In my place,required drying time has varied from 4 to 15 days.
-when the buds begin to feel dry to the touch and lose their fresh green aspect,they go in the jar.
-the jar are opened ten minutes every day until the hay smell wears off.That can take between one and several weeks.
-then they are opened every three days for about two weeks
-then I open the jars once a week for a few more weeks
-then they taste and smell great!never felt a change in potency though,but nicely cured buds make you want to smoke more!
tip:if your bud ever become too dry,which negatively affects taste and appearance,you can put a freshly cut fan leave in the jar.the moisture will go from the leave to the buds and "rehydrate" them to a nicer feel.
hope your experiment goes well.
I would open the "never to be opened" jar just enough time to check it doesn't go moldy from staying in a too humid atmosphere.
keep up with the nice experiments !

G

I have jar cured always. Larger jars of course and would not cure another way. I tried water curing and while nice for smell control it made the pot tasteless.

hydroclops

You can pick you friends and you can pick your nos
Veteran
Tagged, interesting test you got going.

Got some Strawberry diesel getting the chop in 2 to 3 weeks.
definitly will follow this, and good luck.