What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

12/12 From Seed: A Different Way To Grow

Haggis123

SatGhost said:
hey thanks Haggis mate, i was trying to figure out wtf happened to my post? i sure as shit didn't delete it, damn thing just disappeared... bizarre.

anyway the point i was making is that it is all down to total yields.

"Thank God" for that dude, thought I was going mad...lol.

Or was thinking today about it, and thought maybe the guy had a good reason for deleting the post and I just dropped him in the crap ???

Wonder what happened to it...eh ??

Lofty

i thought that was the whole point of this thread, to find out the good and the bad and to report back. its obvious it is a good method of growing with te right strain and skills, its giv me te horn for it, i'm planning on changing my whole room for this.

it also makes sense that not every plant of every strain is guna b a great winner, som mayb 1 GRAM wonders and others mite stretch thro the roof.

i'm not going in to this expecting a massive improvement but if i can get near wat i'm getting now while i learn and find the best types, SO B IT!

as far as the seeds being too close to strong lite, i had my seeds 15" away from a 600hps for a week b4 atmosphere posted 20", 15" didnt do them any harm.

Haggis123

Some valid comments there from Muddy Waters and Motaco.

Now taking those comments on-board which I do believe are valid, but as I said to Motaco in an earlier thread...we are aware that not all strains will like this style of growing but we are trying to build a strain list of strains that work and which don't.

So if you guy's know of any strains that do, do well and some that don't please feel free to compile a list and share with the board.
(Motaco, I saw the strains you posted earlier. Do you have any more you would like to share ??)

That way it will save peep's trying those strains that do, no good and try the ones that do....do good.

I can personally say that Nirvana AK48 is working well for me.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
for the lights being that close you better be careful, some strains might be okay the day they come out of soil being that close to light, but many can have the first two leaves burned dead. And if they burn dead the plant stays alive but won't grow anymore. I've seen it more than a few times especially outdoors. but maybe yall don't have intense sunlight like we do this south? I don't know.

as far as the strains... it would be much easier to name the ones that did well than the ones that didn't.

pure sats, the oaxacas and hazes, etc etc. usually do good. in fact like 6-7 ft kinda good. other than pure sats I've only had a few bagseeds do pretty well, pure hawaiian molokai frost did good but its a pure hawaiian, ironically hawaiian sativa (fed) didn't do so well. looked pretty but didn't yield anything. cherry bomb two and humboldt select didn't do that bad. they were able to be packed in close. and homemade sativa hybrids did decent.

but thats it. decent.

there was a huge boom of this in the late 80's, that predated modern SOG style growing. Its on the growers evolutionary chart, its where SOG came from. as I said that is where the strain williams wonder came about. it was meant to be grown like that. but the whole thing was dropped about twenty years ago now because people moved onto more effective methods.

when you flower from seed your coming up with a tremendous amount of hope. Each plant will be different, quality-growth-everything of course. So the general idea is you plant a TON of seeds hope for half and half m/f, sex them in two weeks so as they get bigger they have more light, weed out the weak and pack as many plants as you can into the light range and they flower in 60 days and the idea is to have a SOG type thing going on but only be 60 days seed to harvest and not have to bother with all the cloning and so forth of a SOG or even the veg stage. Trying to beat the GE calculator by knocking a month off it.

like I said its not a new idea, and if you do it enough you will abandon it like all the growers before you have. because when it comes down to it the bottom line is that with the exception of a rare few strains, your cabinet gets filled with SOG buds. but the variation, and inevitably lower yields than modern grows will drive you away from it.

Some plants yield a half or an ounce in 60days from seed. I'm aware of that. most don't. so if your trying to compile a list of special strains to breed and make your own seeds and everything you'd be MUCH better done to drop the necessary breeding area required with this style of growing to accomodate the hundreds of beans you'll need for each grow (or buying hundreds of dollars of seeds). And turn the space into a small mother cabinet that can have consistent, potent, yielding, results. which is exactly what people have done. its the modern SOG method. this is a lil history lesson of how growing techniques have gotten to where they are today.

So the only viable uses for this method in my humble but well done opinon are to fit lanky sativas indoors, to find a mother quickly, to get a grow off in a short amount of time, run a test grow of seeds, or to fill in empty spaces in your room.

I mean if you so happen to have 10,000 beans you got somewhere free that yield an ounce in 60 days than great. more power to you. but I wouldn't go about investing and certainly not reccomending this method of growing, and I don't know any real respected growers who would reccomend it for anything other than pure sativas or regional strains adapted to those flower cycles.

sorry if I came across like an asshole, but I'm not going to have a far more inexperienced grower than I am tell me I'm full of shit and spreading misinformation because I said expect alot of runt plants.

but good luck to you with your grows, I'm not trying to tell you what to do. I'm just saying out of the thousands of growers who were doing this since the 80's and now you can't find anyone really promoting it for anything but pure sativas. let that speak for something. Only hal is promoting it because (as best I can tell, if you've done it a bunch speak up) he talked to a few people and saw a thread at OG, so he was going to reccomend to everyone that you can get 1gpw yields in 60 days and you should try it, its revolutionary style of growing.

but this is my knowledge on the subject, and its not bullshit. peace.

skunk

lavender

cherry bomb 2

Last edited:

Haggis123

Motaco, for me, Hal and probably the other dudes that are trying it or contemplating trying it.....it is nothing more than an experiment and worth doing if you ain't relying on the yield as your sole harvest.

I have got 7 other clone's on the go at the mo' so I ain't entirely relying on this method as my sole grow.

I read the original posting before we moved to here, had some spare beans and thought why not......nothing to loose and if I get a smoke a little quicker then let it roll.
I watched and waited and thought I would get next to nothing from it, now I ain't saying that I am going to yield anywhere close to something that has been vegged for 5-6 weeks.......but I for one am definately surprised at how well the AK has taken to it.
The plant is pretty much pure bud from top to bottom.

So I take on board what you are saying but it's only an experiment and if we can compile a strain list along the way all the better.

"Peace" an' all that, and a big up for the 12/12 growers.....lol.. :joint:

chronic50s

Hey Motaco.....

I've been reading what you've had to say about the 12/12 from seed method, and it seems to me like you've done quite a few grows this way.

But all Hal is trying to do here is get a decent strain report using this style of growing.

All you really did was bash this method, why not post the strains you tried that were bad, and post the strains that were good, instead of all that drama...

Now get to those strain reports dude!!

It'll for sure help the newbies who do want to try this out by them knowing what strains not to choose....

Chronic

Haggis123

chronic50s said:
Hey Motaco.....

I've been reading what you've had to say about the 12/12 from seed method, and it seems to me like you've done quite a few grows this way.

But all Hal is trying to do here is get a decent strain report using this style of growing.

All you really did was bash this method, why not post the strains you tried that were bad, and post the strains that were good, instead of all that drama...

Now get to those strain reports dude!!

It'll for sure help the newbies who do want to try this out by them knowing what strains not to choose....

Chronic

That's what I been saying an' all.
We are just doing it for a giggle and to find which are good and which are not.
Along with getting more peep's to give it a go if they got a few spare beans.

We ain't trying to get ourselves on the front cover of High-Times or nothing....lol.

H

Hal

I'm getting really sick of this. I'm not going to bother listing all the instances of where Motaco is bashing this method, over and over and over again. He paints a picture that suggests this method is for the most part worthless. That is not what I saw on the thread at OG, and it isn't what I have experienced with 2 grows now. I have to believe my own eyes and experience, more than the say-so of someone who makes claims but doesn't care to show any tangible evidence with grow reports and photos of grows done with this method.

Motaco talks a good game, damn that guy is wordy..likes to type I guess. Feels the need to keep coming back to this thread and state the same criticisms over and over and over again. We've never said that this method will work for all strains, thats why we want to get a strain report going. The thing that set me off at the beginning was Motaco's claim that yields of 1 damn gram were gonna show up rather often, and I STILL say that is very farfetched. That is the kind of statement that will discourage growers from trying this, and that is the reason for this thread, to get people to try it and report on there results.

I've seen too many people get real good results from growing this way. Motaco obviously disagrees, and he has made that abundantly clear in his numerous posts so far on this thread. He has gotten his point across...there is no need to say anymore. Let this thread do what it is intended to do, and let the chips fall where they may. But lets get on with the experiment, and stop the trash-talking. Please.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
im not gonna claim to be an expert grower or nothing, but...

Ive read a lot and back when OG was around r.i.p it contained a wealth of knowledge. Man i now understand why the feds shut it down. it had like 125,000+ members and years of research all collected in one spot.

but anyway there were lots of debates on OG about 12/12 from seed. and the consensu that was reached was that you can grow from seed on any light schedule you want because the plants wont flower until they are mature anyway. Some plants will be 1gram wonders like motaco claims. but thats the exception not the rule. Most plants will grow like normal using the 12 hours of light to produce energy for growth and when they reach a mature age they will start flowering. its not like just because the plants start from seed at 12/12 they will just not grow and instead start working on producing flowers.

its just like some plants wont flower under 12/12 for a full month after the switch and some will show sex in 3 days. it all depends on the plant and when it reaches maturity.

anyway Hal im growing some 12/12 from seed. ill post here from time to time with updates or if you just want a report at the end ill give you that too.

I'll tell you why I am attracted to trying this method, many well thought out reasons actually mostly involving my climate:

I live in the desert...ridiculous temps, terminally low humidity.
Cloning here sux...I can, and do it, but it sux...not to mention the boring monotony of clones...fuggin' little tools to me, I like the variability of seed.
Summer is impossible to grow efficiently for me, 100+ for over a month straight at times...I don't even want to have moms in August, and no I will not pay for lights and AC, electricity is very expensive here.
I don't need alot of smoke, but I am very interested in many strains.
I enjoy sativas...growing them, psychoactive highs...a few may only be possible indoor using this method, I already grew an Oaxacan cross that tripled in flower. Not ready to deal with trimming another 7 footer at this time. :pointlaug
I like breeding and have already been making seed...not new to me.
I like soilbeds and the idea of germing in one and growing perpetual gets me excited, with no transplants either. :bat:
I get to put more lights in flower with no veg...always a good thing.
Basically, in summer, I can pollinate a few girls and harvest...compost over summer and start over...no moms to deal with, possibly get 3 or 4 runs in.

Conclusion I have come up with anyway for what it is worth. Too stubborn to focus on one strain, or let one go. I'll let you guys no how it goes.

muddy waters

boys will be boys ey?

the crux of the issue if i understand motaco correctly is the inherent variation of propagating by seed. i assume he's implying that even the stablest IBLs will begin to degenerate into less appealing cultivars after many generations due to lack of sufficient plant numbers for proper selection.

if that is the case, then the "history lesson" might just be valid in my opinion. i have not bred successive generations of plants using this method so i have no idea really. but i was imagining that if males were not all culled (which means decreasing the space available to females), some breeding and selection could be done, selecting for THC and characteristics that benefit this growing style.

for me, piggybacking a little on what elephant man says, with the cost of the additional electricity and difficulty of cloning (due to tropical airborne fungi), and added to that a limited space and the need for a quick turnover, this method is obviously the way to go. 5 or 6 runs from now i might have a different verdict, i have no problem with that. but right now, even with motaco's warning, this makes most sense.

Good point on the backcrossing MW, I have over 2 dozen strains to start with...muwahahaha...another reason not to veg LOL. Good to have freinds that seed too. ;)

chronic50s

Haggis123 said:
That's what I been saying an' all.
We are just doing it for a giggle and to find which are good and which are not.
Along with getting more peep's to give it a go if they got a few spare beans.

We ain't trying to get ourselves on the front cover of High-Times or nothing....lol.

AMEN BROTHA! :joint:

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
I already did put the list of strains that did decent. it was just that short a list lol. as far as one gram wonders, most of them are really more like 4-5g wonders. and the question is why have 4-5g wonders when you could've filled the same space with a 25gram cola.

yeah Hal I get the point too, you saw a thread at OG,and got a WHOPPING two grows under your belt, and due to it called me a bullshitter and a bad grower. guess you want call bluff eh?

anyway as long as you understand this isn't going to get you on the cover of high times. I'm just worried about more posts like lofty saying "I'm going to change my whole room around now for this"

based on not much actual experience. If you wanna do it for fun of experiment go for it, but that is not the impression I took. I read it as people thought they were gonna beat the GE calculator with this old idea.

and believe me Hal I don't wanna type that much either but when newbs call you a bullshitter and a bad grower and spread misinformations sometimes it takes alot of typing to correct it ya know? its a real PITA actually

the problem is, as you'll see, is where do all the beans come from. the second problem is you'll be limited to strains that perform straight from 12/12. which there won't be that many.

you'll see. sometimes you just gotta learn shit for yourself I guess.

Last edited:
G

boys, i'll say it again: put your GE where your mouth is.

why this incessant pecking just to establish a pecking order? a single number is all it takes for christ sake. hell, post your data and i'll do the math for you.

kooki

Ive tended to grow mainly indica varieties myself.. and having tried 12/12 with a few of those varieties( granted not many strains) and ive found that 12/12 really isnt for me and my set up and the indica varieties ive tried.. they have such a shorter flowering period anyhow that taking off a couple of weeks veg time, by placing straight into 12/12 just isnt worth the end bud weight, ive learnt by my own experience and will stick by it, for the indica i grow i veg for at least 4 weeks to set the plant up to produce a good amount of budsites, and then let it flower.. using 12/12 u still add i seemed to notice 2 to 3 weeks to the length of its flowering so u only really save a couple of weeks time, for 1/4 the end bud amount(and i weighed the ones i tried verse a 4 week veg comparison) granted i use cfl lights and have to lst to benefit fully.. i lst both when i tried 12/12 from seed, it doesnt set up the same amount of budsites that uget from the 4 week veg plant with 12/12 plant i cld contain the canopy well inside a 10inch by 10 inch pot in fact wasting some horizontal space, with a 4 week vegged plant it will overspill the sides of the pot,easily making a 16 by 16 square canopy and trust me that really does mean 4 times the end weight in buds.( for me fewer plants fillin my space properly is better than more plants not filling it properly) and for two or three more weeks veg ? considering a 7 to 8 week flower period? ends up at most about 13 weeks instead of 10 , not a great saving of time for bud amount considering the way I grow. sure bigger lights sog style people may get diff results to me, so environment is prob a consideration , but i know growers who've been growing for decades.. none use this method for Sogging plants.. none use it full stop lol , and they are cash croppers.
Now i have very limited experience growing mainly sativa types.. motaco has said several times these are more suitable.. yet people keep hitting on him with negativity when he has clearly stated that. In fact i have seen several seed vendors state under some sativa varieties to start flower after a weeks veg, so the merits for those plants i cant personally talk about, but for lst methods with mainly indica varieties i really dont see the point in losing bud.. just my opinion tho.

Lofty

I'm just worried about more posts like lofty saying "I'm going to change my whole room around now for this"

[/QUOTE]

i shud really clarify a bit, i'm in a loft space and its basically a rectangle at the floor 8x6 feet and 30" high, then the slope of the roof starts for about 40" to the peak. at the moment i hav 2 600w hps in the top peak with 4 biggish plants under, i'm using about 5x5 feet of that space in the middle and the space around the outside of them is not used.

i hav been reading about scrog (wat does it mean?) and thinking if i learn about it i cud grow mor shorter plants from edge to edge with 4x600w in a square. this wud b far mor efficient.

wen i read Hals thread on this and saw atmospheres input i thought it wud be a cud method for my triangular space.

if it doesnt work i'll just clone and the set up can stay the same for sea of green.

if u work out wat i'm getting in that space and the time SatGhost wud b slapping me around the head calling me an idiot (and quite rightly), i've been stuck with how i grow for years, coz its all i've known, wen i started on icm it opened my eyes to wat else is possible, thank u all.

motaco has been a good input in parts coz now i'm thinking mor towards sats, i've got bogs nycd and i'll get som other sat beans.

i'm going into this with my eyes open and am prepared for good or bad, i will in now way ever blame Hal, there is evidance this can work, if i cant make it work doesnt mean it cant, just i cant.

another reason i'd like to do it is becoz i've got the borg and growing from seed wud giv me a better chance to shift them for good.

anyway thats my rant, did i qualify in pissing comp or r motaco and Hal still in the lead lol :pointlaug

kooki

Scrog means screen of green( usually a square screen with individual square sections to weave or tie stems to , to maintain an even canopy) so a short in height plant with a wide even canopy as opposed to Sog wich is sea of green( plants grown for single cola using density of plants in the space)