What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does all weed smell hay-ish before fully dried?

jdubz206

i have to say... i don't completely agree with waiting for the stem to snap. in fact i'm 100% sure that some of my weed has smelled like hay because I overdried them while waiting for the fucking stems to snap. wait for the stems to snap on big plants. when you have small plants with small stems and no gigantic buds, waiting for the stem to snap is to long. i've been doing a lot of experimenting with curing and growing different strains.. a few plants i tried going straight from clone with smelled like hay because when the stems snapped the plant was too dry.

It has been my experience that if you expose your drying buds to light that can permanently embed a smell of hay into them. I was told, that this is due to the light reacting with the chlorophyll before it escaped in the drying process.

MPL

I have some buds that have been curing for more than a month and they still have a really strong wet hay smell when you open the jar. After it airs out the smell goes away, for the most part. Then again, so do all the other nice, fruity, skunky smells until you break it up.

sophisto

The hay smell comes from more than just genetics....If your laldies were overfedd and not allowed to flush long enough you are definitely not gonna smell clean sweet herb...

A cure can enhance anything but you can only enhance what you have to begin with...

In short I would say over feeding, and premature harvest is the real major culprit in hay weed.......Some strains regardless of what a breeder pack tells you the flower time is, need more time to allow the oils which carry the smell to mature not just the trics....

I have an SD/PK cross I grow that turns so damn grapy if it is let to go longer, scope says shes ready a week and change before that....She also smells a little like sweet hay if she gets pulled early or overfed....

A guy told me way back that if your a hydro guy and your PPm's go above 1500 you need to flush with plain water at least two weeks....between 1000-1500 ppm a week and half, 700-1000 ppm or less 1 week... fan leaves should be yellowing if not dropping from the plant to get the most smell out of her you can...This only applies if all other factors with the plant look healthy and have been healthy... Leaves store nutrients as most commercial nutrients contain metals and such these metals and nutrients in the form they are in get into the plant and will never come out unless it is adequately flushed.....

Just my two cents my personal experience...hope it helps...

osirica420

hay smell IMO 85% of times comes genetics..

A good pheno/strain will taste and smell good all the way from growing til curing!

Smokable without a trace of hay in 4 days in some cases and as tasty as can be....

T

TheOneWill

Aaronponic said:
It has been my experience that if you expose your drying buds to light that can permanently embed a smell of hay into them. I was told, that this is due to the light reacting with the chlorophyll before it escaped in the drying process.
I think this is true, because I mean I didn't leave the lights on in the room on all the time. Just sometime of the time.

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
hags09bd said:
thanks guys, crack smell is just some terminology, aka smelling good. But yea i mean i definitly didnt harvest early i have been checking the trichs and all. so its not something i did wrong... its just not done curing yet?

i would think that was you jar it then afdter some time, the aroma will build up and then you can really tell whether you picked too early or not.

so if you have some more that you are flowering out, then you can tell whether or not to let them go a little longer in flower or cut them down at the same time that you cut the "hayish" odored weed.

go i hope tha thelps, im blazed right now and dont know if that came out right but i gave it a shot right? :joint:

cannakid

what is the down side really of not haveing 100% dark drying area? like i have lines up in my flower room to save space also to utilize the 30-35% humidity and high curulation. its dark in their 50% of the time, and the lines only get indirect light. ive also niticed triming befor they dry to keep a more dank smell in the room, otherwize theirs a fresh cut grass/hay aroma thats dominant.

vindiesel

Veteran
i chopped paradise ice cream on tues nite...day 66. before chop they smelled sweet, like a sweet pine...now they've been hanging for a couple days and they now have a strong hint of hay along w/ normal smell...hope it goes awaw... :badday: i got RH and temp in check w/ good circulation. we'll see. 1st grow.

:joint:

blackone

Veteran
Yeah they do need some time before the hay smell goes away.
Some of the best smelling and tasting weed I've had was actually not cured - I hung it to dry without trimming (I only pulled off fan leaves and left all leaves with resin on them).
Then I kinda forgot about them/got lazy and didn't trim/cure when they were dry as I meant to be and just let them hang there for a couple of weeks. When I finally got around to trimming them they ended up being the best smelling weed I've produced yet, even compared to buds from theexact same phenos.
When I cure I normally separate the buds when the stems are snapping (without actually snapping in half) and put them in plastic bags that I burp regularly as long as I can feel the buds gettting softer from the moisture that's being distributed when it's no longer evaporating as fast. When moisture content is perfect I close up the bags and only open them to check on their progress. Some strains are perfect after 2-3 weeks in the bags while others do need more time to reach their full potential.

Tokermon

it's either over ferted bud or the drying room isn't dry enough or too warm. keep them cool and dry, keep the buds quite far apart from one another.

vindiesel

Veteran
whats normal amount of time before dried ready for jars? it's been about 4 full days now and i think they are about ready. temp is mid 70's w/ air movement, RH mid 40's. i haven't bent stems yet but i can feel and see they are almost ready. maybe tomorrow night i think i may check stems.

also before chop, buds were frosty as hell, now not as much...does this increase during cure...?

paulobaca

osirica420 said:
hay smell IMO 85% of times comes genetics..

A good pheno/strain will taste and smell good all the way from growing til curing!

Smokable without a trace of hay in 4 days in some cases and as tasty as can be....

This has my exprnce w/ the elite strains. Pretty much after a 6 days of drying they are very tasty and not much chloryphyl taste but I'm old school and keep my ppms under 1000 and flush for atleast 10 days.

Doughboy

Why is it that commercial grower weed smell so very strong and good? I bought some street weed once, brougt it to work and it smelled up an area of at least a foot;this stuff was in my pocket,wrapped up in plastic.
So,what strain of weed do commercial growers grow?

Last edited:

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
when my 'erb is drying it smells "hay"ish sometimes its hay smell + skunk smell... any it usualy has the hay smell untill after i take it out of brown-bags... (3 days hanging, maybe 4, depneding, then 3-4 more days in a brown paper bag, then to jar) usualy AFTER its been IN A JAR, and ill go ahead and "burp" the jars for up to a week, especialy if i see the leaftips are moist, anyways usualy after that first jar-ing its natural smell really stinks through. it should have a light hint of the smell even with the hay smell...

the hay smell- is water + chlorophill thats evaporating/drying.

vindiesel

Veteran
so u go from drying to paper bags...u close paper bags with buds in? regular lunch bags? i wasnt planning on doing that but i may since i keep hearing about it. i guess it cant hurt, only helps in drawing more moisture from buds....

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
vindiesel said:
so u go from drying to paper bags...u close paper bags with buds in? regular lunch bags? i wasnt planning on doing that but i may since i keep hearing about it. i guess it cant hurt, only helps in drawing more moisture from buds....
its worth a shot, i just re-used a couple i picked-up at the grocery store.. leave the tops open, the paper will absorb the moisture right out of the buds...

...must have been real high during my last post, messed it all up...

SoEx

vindiesel said:
i chopped paradise ice cream on tues nite...day 66. before chop they smelled sweet, like a sweet pine...now they've been hanging for a couple days and they now have a strong hint of hay along w/ normal smell...hope it goes awaw... :badday: i got RH and temp in check w/ good circulation. we'll see. 1st grow.

:joint:

Ya, my lemon stinky smelled divine before chopping it, then the smell decreased a little bit and had a hint of hay to it while drying. After about a week, though, the bud was just as strong smelling as before, if not stronger. After a full month's cure the smoke heavenly and the scent was out of this world. So have some faith, I'm sure the bud will be great! :)

MPL

I had a couple of Super Skunk plants that smelled very strongly of hay while they were curing. It took a good 6 weeks for the smell to diminish, and another 3 or so weeks for the Skunk smell to come out.

I guess the point is that the hay smell can take a long time to come out, depending on how it is grown and the strain.

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
Bubba,,, - this shit never smelled like hay

rez's Strawberry Diesel

Early harvest is usually the first problem.

Ya can't rush the Budz. I will havet no budz till they are DONE.

Anr the drying is every bit as important as the growing, a nice SLOW dry is SO much better - then the cure.

I used to think these people were out of their MINDS - but I have gone to the other side long ago,

I have a local friend that grows hydro - we seem to like our own smoke better than each others. But I'm a pig for Diesels other tasty little strains that blow your head off

It's a pretty fine hobby when ya can smoke your misteakes.

Last edited: