What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does all weed smell hay-ish before fully dried?

hags09bd

So I saw another thread someone had posted about there weed smelling like hay and the replies were showed that this persons problem was an early harvest. I have one plant cut and drying and it is close to being dried and some of the buds still smell hay-ish? Some buds have a nice crack smell as well though. I am confused but think I should just keep them hanging until the smell turns. Is this correct? And when should I move the trees to the paper bag stage I have heard so many talking about? Thanks

Peace

G

if it smells like hay then u harvested too early or didnt cure properly. And u are incorrect about hanging until the smell turns. U hang until the stems snap then move into jars. They shouldnt be completely dry but not wet either. The hay smell should go away during the cure and thats when ur erb will start smelling and tasting good. Curing takes a minimum of 2 weeks with daily burping. But the longer u cure the better ur erb will be. Hope this helps

LLCoolBud

It is all strain dependent. Some strains are very stinky while others virtually no smell at all. But all strains must be cured correctly to have the "classic" weed smell that seeps out of bags rooms ect. It is all in the cure. The CURE IS KEY. Until you properly and fully cure your weed it will NOT REAKKK to high heaven...excluding the known SMELLY strains like Sour D ect. but still the true scent of the Sour D like all strains is not unleashed until at least 3 weeks of curing if not more. :dueling: Hope this helped..search the forum bout curing lots of resources...

hags09bd

thanks guys, crack smell is just some terminology, aka smelling good. But yea i mean i definitly didnt harvest early i have been checking the trichs and all. so its not something i did wrong... its just not done curing yet?

Guest423

Veteran
well u haven't even started the curing process yet, your still in the drying phase....did u trim the leaves off the buds before you hung them? from my experience you'll get less hay smell if you do that first. dry leaves smell like hay and you add that to a low odor strain and you get hay smelling weed. after you trim all the leaves and get them in jars for a couple weeks is when you start getting your dank smells.

some strains stink in veg, flower, drying, and cured. some strains just don't smell that great even after a nice long cure.

420guy

what in the hell is "a good crack smell"...maybe ya outta NOT smokey the crack and ya wouldn't have drying issues...stay safe :moon:

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I find crack smells of burn't plastic. Not too nice, but as I smoked more I learned to love the smell. Thank god I am a reformed druggie, well, kind of if you don't include weed - which i'm sure most of you don't.

TGT

G

one of the most potent and lingering of all smells crack is
nasty too, but I could imagine the association! More specifically, burnt styrofoam in my experience.

G

Nope its just your weed, lol...

Let it dry out in the open without light with a small bit of fan air movement until the stems crack but not break easily then put it in plastic bags and leave them open until stems crack easily then close the bag and vacuum them shut until you want to use 'em.... smell wil allways be what you want it to be and never hay, its just from putting it into bags/jars too wet. You thought it was dry but it wasn't, it still had plenty of stem moisture even if the buds were hard.

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
I find if the leaves are very green as a result of high nitrogen levels, you'll have more of a hay smell as the chlorophyll molecules decompose. More nitrogen = more chlorophyll = more hay smell. IMO you want to minimize nitrogen in late flowering to let the plants lose color and drop leaf. After harvest, trim off as much leaf as possible. This will go a long way toward keeping the hay smell at bay. :)

hogwild

hopefully that nice crack smell is some nice green crack smell..... give it a good cure for a month and tell me it doesn't stank.

G

the hay smell comes from varying levels of humidity during drying. if you have 3-4 days of 50%hum or lower then have a few days that go higher your buds will re-moisten and this is when the hay smell comes on.

I will never again let my stuff dry in the open air. I always use a dehumidifer and keep a constant humidity level throughout drying. it makes a huge, huge difference.

a small space heater hooked up to a thermostat will work also if you don't have a dehumidifier.

hogwild

ive found if you dont manicure as well as you should, you can end up with a hay like smell... just get rid of some of the larger leaves and the smell should leave.

G

depends on genetics, you will find once in a great while a pheno that needs no cure,,meaning a cure cannot perfect or enhance the bud anymore once dried. To smoke straight off the stalk you know you got yourslelf a keeper.

chimei

MPL said:
So once the chlorophyll breaks down etc. the hay smell generally goes away?

I have found that most strains I cure go through a short period (1-2 weeks depending on the strain) where they smell like grass clippings with other smells mixed in, never had one yet that JUST smells like grass clippings.

It goes away gradually and the other smells come forward and dominate as I open the jars to air them for 15+ minutes before closing them back up. After like 4 weeks of that, the smell is only the dominant odor of that particular phenotype then, which can improve potentially with long term curing. (Some stay the same at that point)

I personally always leave allot of stem on all budsites to keep them moist for longer. I have found the longer/slower the drying process, usually the better results.

As far as being picked early, I have done that a few times to find out the results on a given strain for clarity and have NOT had hay smell or taste after the cure.

I jar the buds when they will bring a jar to like 70% RH (with a humidistat in each jar to keep acurate readings) Then watch the Relative Humidity drop as I burp the jars each day. By the time 4 weeks hit, they are usually at like 58% RH in the jar (on the moist side, I like sticky bud that compresses when handled and does not bounce back much)

When the cure is done, I remove all oxygen out of the jars with a pump in seal and have found they can go a long time at room temp without issue.

U

ureapwhatusow

even as clones my weed smells like real almost petrolium potent with a real strong 1/2 skunk 1/2 sage smell

NEVER ever does it not smell like A+ weed .. its one complaint I have about 99% of weed people grow no aroma no taste

Nosepiece, Mouthpiece, burn all mean somehting

the only time I have ever got the "hay" smell is when the strain was not as ''oily" and it gets too hot, its almost liek you flash off the essential oils that make it so smelly and tasty

THC•20

Yeah, depends on pheno and genetics. I had a plant that smelled like wet tar and skunk ass when it was drying and went first day in the jar. After a few weeks it turned fresh and skunky with a hint of fruitness. But I've also had a plant that smelled like hay when it was dry and never really transformed to anything else but a hay smell with a slight lemony/cleaning material smell when broken down.