What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Curing For Sticky "Moist" buds - - I Hate Crispy weed!

Da Dank!

lettuce works the best. I use it all the timme. It add's no smell and no change the taste,but watch out you can make your nuge too wet!

fieldgrower

i think i know what your talking about, i had aphgani X northern lights, that was slightly moist resinous, and a nice floral smell/taste, it was not WET but dank, like it was cured properly, the leaf in the jar method sounds good thow, ill probably use that method this harvest myself :) i have 5 beasts on my hands this year and a few other straglers, we'll see what happens

little j

i just made a thread about curing kind bud and getting that dark danky sweat that comes out of my buds when i cure. so again i ask you here, do people cure their kind. my buds sweat to a nice cure and storage but it is not the green sweet taste i get when i buy nugs. i just dont know. mine cured up great but another person wouldnt look at it and say wow thats nice kind bud ya got there. any comments?

Andyo

Veteran
oil content

oil content

Ive always had enough oil content in my dried bud for it to be impossible to crumble no matter how dry it is.
I have dried it right out on a radiator then stamped on it under my shoe just to prove a point no crumble bud just a flat dry sticky bud .
3 main reasons for this are broad spectrum lighting,letting my plants flag before feeding/watering.and the strain.
I hang them in a grow room at 20deg c with good ventilation then on day 6 i put them in a industrial bin bag for 24 hrs then remove them and cut of the buds .My buds always turn green/brown and have an old school taste .

Canna-KaliSpice

The Ganja must be dry, but not crispy dry. So no force drying, do it slow.

You don't want "wet" "dank" or "moist". These words spell disaster. Dank means wet, wet = mold.

But it's your preference as to what you want to smoke. I like my buds more dry on the outside than on the inside. Sativa buds won't mold as easy as an Indica thick bud.

Use the standard by DJ Short. Hang, bag, check them and then jar em. Burp the jars daily and inspect for mold. They should be just right.

Before I hang my buds I trim some of the fan leafs and leave all of the small bud leaf. I go back later after things have dried and I snip away to prevent that hay smell from taking over.

THC•20

Well I imagine if your weed breaks down like saw dust and you said it's over dry the only solution would be not to let it over dry lol. Just let it dry slow and naturally so you have time to catch it when it's just right and go about the curing process and repeated drying if excess moisture builds up within the jars until it's ready for long storage and only has to be opened when you need a smoke.

Amber Trich

Time2Unite said:
it's simple.....dry your buds as slow as possible in the dark....they say put your buds in the jars when the stem can snap but i put mine in the jars when the stem can bend a little then break....just make sure to open your jar for 20 minutes a day.

Agreed.
That is what we do too.
Especially key is the not quite snapable stem.

Amber Trich

Too get our nugs sticky when dry we go back and forth between the bag and the jar for a long time.

If they get too moist we put them in the paper bag, if they start to dry too quickly we put them in a jar.

If the jar is not full the buds tend to dry out and not taste as good. The extra air seems to suck away moisture.

G

Damn, I want to smoke on andyo's buds. He was the only one who got it right, it's the "nature" of the plant and environment and not the "nurture" or process of curing the plant once it's done.

I have grown easily thirty strains and only a few of them have the gummy, resinous "wet" feel that never crumbles. And those ones are always funky as hell. You can hang those plants for a month in a moderately cool room and they will just be sticky and gummy at the end.

Not all good weed is gummy, but the best weed usually is!

Andyo

Veteran
The answer is to grow weed with a higher oil content
which means using metal halides not hps and let the plants flag between floods or waterings .this biulds potency and oil content.
when buds grown like this dry ,even bone dry you can stomp on them and they wont crumble

G

I think we all strive for dank! My experience is that its usually fresh bud and its dankness has a limited number of hours/days. Most of the time, its been dried enough so that it smokes in bowls perfectly but if you try to roll it, you're gonna end up with a crayon stick of weed thats more likely to melt than stay lit! I've tried to preserve purchased dank many times and it always ends up dry in the end... still has good taste but its that sticky icky, no longer. So my question is this..

Who has actually cured dank and kept that sticky, wet, freshness in tact for at least a couple to several months? Is this even possible? Wanna share your secret?

:yummy: Mmm... Dankness!

mustang33

I hang in the rafters of the garage for 2 weeks, then trim and bag. Should i be opening the bags every day to cure? :smoke:

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
ive been having some overdrying problems with my 1st harvest. i grew with cfls so the buds are airy and dry fast. my question is should i rehydrate the buds then redry before I put them into jars to cure or just leave the dry ass buds curing and rehydrate after a couple of weeks?

thanks

Last edited:

monkey5

Veteran
curing kind herb

curing kind herb

billy wonka, read the masters... JLP, posted up these links ... http://icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=42050 ... DJ Short articles ...post #4 and post #9 on curing Kind buds should help you out !!! read through that entire post very ,very, much info !!! hpoe that helps you !!! monkey5

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I like my buds semi-dry. If the stock snaps it is too dry. I like it when it bends to a point and then snaps. That way it has it's stickyness, and if you roll a joint it burns nice and slow like a cigarette. Too dry of weed goes up in no time and I find it never tastes as good. The best way to preserve this sticky-dry bud is when you are happy with it's cure time, wrap it up real good with as little air in the bag as possible and stick it in a deep freezer. I have taken bud out after a year and it was just as it was when it went in. You have to make sure that the buds are wrapped well as they can get freezer burn just like meat can. It's as though they are in suspended animation in a way lol. I must have smoked too much tonight - but you get the point.

TGT

Hang for 4 weeks....cut put into boxes for a week....make sure your house is just below warm not cold but not humid....it won't have that crispy dry feeling...it'll have a moist feeling still and will be 100% dry

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
and what's to do to have a ROCK HARD buds?

You know what i mean? Very dense and full, impossibile to break with hands.

You have just to press them?

I think the obvious choice method is NOT to dry it out so much in the first place.

This will give you more jar drying time which is way safer. Since all buds are of different size, some dry out faster. I think your goal should be to get it in jars BEFORE the smallest buds dry out.

Then sort the jars by bug density, so that when you air them out your not airing out dense buds that are still wet in the same jar as dry buds.

When done right you should need no moisture additive in the jar since the weed itself SHOULD still have plenty of moisture left in it.

Put it in the jar BEFORE the stem gets crispy and either put the small buds in jars first or move it all to jars early.

I like air drying over a screen instead of the hang it up method. I feel it more evenly dries the bug and since it also takes less time I am more likely to catch the buds when they are optimum.

If I dry too slow I get lazy and forget to check more, so i make a dryer box. Just a plastic tote with layers of screen in it to put the bud on and vent holes and a fan exhausting the air. For extra oder control add a small carbon scrubber to the tote.

Now, you also have to keep in mind that the faster you dry, the more the outside dries faster than the inside. So that means fan dried bud needs to be taken off as soon as it shows crispness vs hang dried which dries slower and more evenly.

I'm sure the slower the cure the better, but only as long as you have the time and patience to look after it and keeping in mind that winter air may dry it out faster than summer air, so you cannot use any type of pre-set schedule. You must simply check it often and move it to jars sooner than later.

You will NEVER get the quality back from drying too fast, and while you COULD get mold from say leaving it in the jars and not airing it out, the process of getting mold usually takes much longer.

Unless you already have mold, in which case dry fast and thoroughly.

I think the air dried on a screen produce the most consistent drying and for me that works best as I can predict the dryness more easily.

It is however more of a pain to cut it up and pre-manicure it vs hanging it up till it dries and doing all the manicure in one stage.

You should also cure your leaf trim and stems and such if you can as it will be more potent for cannabutter use. So you could leave more sugar leaves on in the jars which will help slow drying also and cure the sugar leaves at the same time. Though i prefer the old manicure party and getting it all done at once.

I also find it hard to find odor control space to hang up a bunch of plants, while the drying box takes up much less space and can harvest a ton of bud with several screen shelves. This also keeps it nice and dark. You don't want all that much airflow. A cheap 6 inch fan or such is more than enough, speed controls are nice.

I get the mass produced fans like from walmart and just make em work since they are much cheaper than other specialty fans like radio shack or PC fans. You can pick up a fan that moves WAY more air than a tiny PC fan for 5 bucks during the seasonal sales at the box stores.

Latest posts

Latest posts