What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic gowing, help diagnosing deficiency/excess

T-bot

Hi All,

I started an organic grow and all was fine till the older leaves started to turn orange/rust in color. This started with spots on the leaves and then some necrosis as the leaf part that turned orange/rust dries off. I looked a few places for deficiency/excess charts but can't seem to pinpoint the exact cause so I'm asking for help. Let me know what you think or if you encountered these issues before.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Greens1.jpg
    Greens1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Greens2.jpg
    Greens2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Greens3.jpg
    Greens3.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 22

Robinson

It looks bad. Describe the process of your growing, what use, what light, what pH level. Just using photos is very difficult to help.

Dog Star

Veteran
Your medium is not soil mix so how this clay pebbles can be organics??

Beneficial bacteries live in good healthy soil,not inside clay pebbles..

if you gived organic solution inside clay pebble then she start to rots after some time
and your plants will not eat in this way... actually they are oversaturated with
anaerobic organic solution and soon they will totally die.. if that is how you grow..

T-bot

I grow in organic super soil mix, not hydro. No Foxfarm either. I just cover the dirt with clay pellets to keep the humidity in the soil. I'll post my whole mix recipe and such later.

Dog Star

Veteran
No probs bro.. am just judged from a look and i try to understand why clay pebbles
over organic mix.. that is not a way to go and if you will revive your mixes than
you never rid those clay balls.. while goal in organics is to have cleaner soil mix
from any aerator as they take valuable space for roots and food,and overall
micro activity..

Supersoils could be cooked "hot" if you put too much amendments or they are not
good mixed inside soil mix,not evenly disspersed..

If that is a case then flush good,check ppms on out,when you see water goes almost
clear in flushing then you are good and they will jump from shock..

feed easily complete nutes right after flush so they dont left whithouth any food..

igrowone

Veteran
i use a pebble mulch over organic soil, works good
but those big clay balls look odd, not saying they're a problem but unusual looking
your pot looks very shallow? maybe just picture issue
i did something like that, shallow pot, didn't work well with organic soil

Hastings

Looks like the plant's roots are unhappy. What are those Hydroton pellets for? You're doing organic soil, right? By how droopy the leaves look, it could be chronic overwatering. Move all those crazy pellets aside and stick your finger in the soil. Is the top inch at least dry before you water? Is your soil mix very heavy? What percentage of perlite did you add?

If you're truly doing an organic grow, over doing nutrients or getting lockout due to pH issues shouldn't be an issue. But I'd double check anyway. Just remember the soil mix additives are not there to feed your plants. They're added to feed your bacteria and fungi. And you need to check your conditions for optimal growth of those creatures - not your plants. Are you feeding them during growth, or are you using the seedling to harvest without any additives?